Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 09:04   #1

Boat: 1998 Manta 40
Newbies Learning The Ropes

First post after 3-4 months Reading and learning. We have decided to go cruising in 9-12 months after learning everything we can about sailing and the live-aboard lifestyle. Chartered a cat several weeks ago for a weekend of sailing and live aboard. Not a sitting on the trampoline drinking but actually sailing and assisting the crew. We loved it!!

Long time power boaters fresh water and coastal experience but newbie sailors. At first we thought we were crazy for doing this and now we believe it would be crazy to not.

My question:
During the charter the Captain commented that if we were stopped by the USCG that we are old friends out for a weekend of sailing. Their website indicates they are USCG documented charter vessel with a USCG licensed captain aboard. We had a lot of fun however, I was curious about the comment regarding the Coasties. Just curious if anyone has opinion about the comment. We plan a few more charters before purchasing a boat but we just have trepidation about the before-mentioned/unnamed crew

Thanks,
texpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:06   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Newbies Learning The Ropes

My first suspicion is that somebody fibbed. If he had a license, he need not worry about whether you are paying passengers or old friends .

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 19:20   #3

Boat: PSC 37

There is a website listing all licenses, I forget what it us. NO ONE should lie about their credentials.

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 31-08-2015, 19:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

First,
Welcome aboard CF!

Now to your question...

Trust is so important in sailing offshore.

You need to be able to trust the skipper of the boat with your life.

If the "captain" is telling you to lie to the USCG, it means he is doing something that is dishonest (in some respect). If he will lie to the USCG, and ask others to lie for him, what is the chance that he would lie to you or do something dishonest that would affect you?

Here are my favorite Tips for newcomers to this forum:

WIKI
Take a look at the Cruising WIKI that is found via the tab up on the top menu bar of the forum. It has a LOT of information in it you might find fun, interesting, or helpful.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive or key terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF mobile app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, IE, Firefox, etc.

Note: The ordinary "search" field on this forum has yielded less helpful results for me when I perform searches. That is why I prefer and suggest the use of the alternative "Google Custom Search" instead. I see a very clear and big difference and find the Google Custom Search much easier for scanning (with my eyes) threads for relevant comments and information.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 19:33   #5

Boat: PSC 37

Try this site:

https://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/porta...geTypeId=13489

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 31-08-2015, 23:14   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpie View Post
First post after 3-4 months Reading and learning. We have decided to go cruising in 9-12 months after learning everything we can about sailing and the live-aboard lifestyle. Chartered a cat several weeks ago for a weekend of sailing and live aboard. Not a sitting on the trampoline drinking but actually sailing and assisting the crew. We loved it!!

Long time power boaters fresh water and coastal experience but newbie sailors. At first we thought we were crazy for doing this and now we believe it would be crazy to not.

My question:
During the charter the Captain commented that if we were stopped by the USCG that we are old friends out for a weekend of sailing. Their website indicates they are USCG documented charter vessel with a USCG licensed captain aboard. We had a lot of fun however, I was curious about the comment regarding the Coasties. Just curious if anyone has opinion about the comment. We plan a few more charters before purchasing a boat but we just have trepidation about the before-mentioned/unnamed crew

Thanks,
Welcome aboard Texpie

I agree. A licensed skipper shouldn't ask you to lie to the CG. Maybe he wasn't planning on reporting the income? Or else his licenses weren't in order

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, texpie.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:35   #8

Boat: 1998 Manta 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
First,
Welcome aboard CF!

Now to your question...

Trust is so important in sailing offshore.

You need to be able to trust the skipper of the boat with your life.

If the "captain" is telling you to lie to the USCG, it means he is doing something that is dishonest (in some respect). If he will lie to the USCG, and ask others to lie for him, what is the chance that he would lie to you or do something dishonest that would affect you?

Here are my favorite Tips for newcomers to this forum:

WIKI
Take a look at the Cruising WIKI that is found via the tab up on the top menu bar of the forum. It has a LOT of information in it you might find fun, interesting, or helpful.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive or key terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF mobile app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, IE, Firefox, etc.

Note: The ordinary "search" field on this forum has yielded less helpful results for me when I perform searches. That is why I prefer and suggest the use of the alternative "Google Custom Search" instead. I see a very clear and big difference and find the Google Custom Search much easier for scanning (with my eyes) threads for relevant comments and information.
Great tips! and feedback

Thanks
texpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, rope