Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 20:40   #1

Boat: looking again
Sailing to Chile

I'm starting long range planning to sail to Chile (Vina del Mar) from SoCal, sticking near the coast most of the way and taking my time. Any thoughts on when is the best time to leave, or should I look at a gulf/Florida departure?
ouroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 06:39   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Sailing to Chile

Here's a fairly recent blog of the trip
Voyage of the Rascal - Home
Most go significantly offshore to get down the west coast of South America.
Old 26-01-2016, 19:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a tip . . . Get a copy of jimmy Cornell's world cruising routes. It will give you very concise details on all the possible alternative routes and timing.

As to the trip from s cal to chile. You have two options: (1) Down the coast inside the high pressure system. Against the wind for much of the sail S of the equator. Administratively difficult in a couple of the countries (ecuador and Peru ) . (2) outside the high pressure, well offshore. Great sailing but long trip, can stop at a couple attractive islands - this was our choice for one trip to chile.

Timing . . . Be well north or south of Mexico For hurricane season, and don't arrive in chile in the winter. That can be further fine tuned a bit for most favorable winds. But that's the "safety" aspect of the timing.

You could also go thru the canal and down the east coast but that is against the wing and current until you got past the bulge of Brazil. We went Down the east coast for our first trip to chile. It is nice cruising ground - much better than the west coast (until you get to Patagonia, which is the best in the world).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 20:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Just a tip . . . Get a copy of jimmy Cornell's world cruising routes. It will give you very concise details on all the possible alternative routes and timing.

I bought two of Jimmy Cornell's books based on recommendation from a question I asked on this forum. These books are really good. Provides details that you need for making these types of passages.
gbgreen59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Chile, sail, sailing