Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2019, 09:40   #1

Rent or Lease Liveaboard Before Buying

Hello. My husband is retired and I am almost there myself (active, early 50s). We love to be on the water whenever possible and are thinking about life on a boat, at least for a couple months out of the year. My question is we’d really like to rent or lease a live-aboard for a period of time before committing to purchasing one, preferably on the Southeast coast or Intracoastal Waterway. Is this a possibility? I’ve reached out to a couple of yacht brokers and none have replied- maybe I’m phrasing the question wrong. I’d really hate to sink the $ into purchasing a vessel and find out that it isn’t a good fit for us. Any help is much appreciated!
Kenipela1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 10:36   #2

Re: Rent or Lease Liveaboard Before Buying

I would think this would more be an arrangement with an individual, vs through a broker.

But it gets complicated, and could get expensive very quickly. Who fixes problems if they come up? There would be a lot of trust involved.

There are some longer term cruising charters, but I would think that you'd do just as well to buy a boat if you intend to live on it. If you want to try it out and aren't sure if you'll like it, just get an older, smaller, less expensive boat, and you'll get the feel for it, without too much risk, really, other than operational and carrying costs.

You're right, though, it's a bit intimidating.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 10:48   #3

Thank you for your thoughts. I do understand about security and someone trusting us to use their boat. An agreement beforehand would be imperative for both parties before renting for sure. I can speak for my husband and I that we are trustworthy and would treat other’s property like it was our own, but I’m sure there are sketchy folks on both sides. We also own our home and would not like to lose it or any other property from an unscrupulous boat owner. We just want to try living aboard a boat before adding it to the property list!
Old 22-12-2019, 11:48   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I've got a nice 50ft sailboat in NYC area. I'm willing to rent it and sell it because I'm sticking with my catamaran. Don't expect it to be cheaper than an apartment. The marina fees alone are close to an apartment cost.

PM me if interested.

It's one of the most amazing places you could ever imagine to live aboard. Or if cities aren't your thing, beautiful nature is just a couple days sail away.

Sorry for the crooked pics.

Everything on the boat works.

Come spring, she's going up for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8E1A0C29-6A8D-4F36-A075-2131001695A2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	205510   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB09EBCE-EBFC-4BBE-8F90-FA3C0B0D392C.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	205511  

Name:	683E8611-50B3-43CC-9F17-1435810BC0B8.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	205512   Click image for larger version

Name:	F77A6951-557F-413F-BB6B-6CBA95DD09C0.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	205516  

Name:	A2DDBCF4-7B06-49A1-80F8-87A2D73C4CE4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	205517   Click image for larger version

Name:	3F4A29B1-146C-4D59-B32F-54144982BFBD.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	205518  

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 11:49   #5

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

1. I'd suggest drafting up a poster and dropping copies in to yacht clubs and marinas in the area you're interested in. Most have some sort of notice board. A short narrative on what you want, with tear off phone numbers. Some clubs/marinas might also be able to include your advert in their club magazine too. So have a copy of your advert on a memory stick when you talk to their office staff. Make it clear what type of boat you want, and for how long, size of your family, whether there are pets, offer references, perhaps even a rental range . Launches are usually the most comfortable to live on at a marina I think.

2. Be clear with your words too. Your post isn't clear about where you want to live at all. There are many many Southeast coasts and many intra coastal waterways in the world. Perhaps change the title of your post too, to say 'Looking for boat to Lease South East ?' so that your post will attract viewers here on the forum. Also fill in the user details so people can get a little information about you.

I know a number of people renting boats in marinas. Typically the boats can't leave the dock as that avoids all manner of complications in the lease agreement. But other opportunities to go sailing present when you live right on the water and get to know your neighbours, join the local club etc.
Old 22-12-2019, 12:46   #6

Thank you for your suggestions! I like your ideas of posting directly in marinas (and maybe Craigslist?) in the areas we are interested in when the time comes.
I currently live in the mountains of NE California so I’m not near any marinas except Lake Tahoe. I guess I’m really just interested in the FEASIBILITY of renting in the near future, but not right now. We have a 15 year old (big!) dog that will need to pass over the rainbow bridge before we can even think of doing any sort of long term travel. She’s still very healthy... We are looking to the East coast of the US because our kids are over there, as well as using the Intracoastal Waterway you can cruise around without committing to open ocean travel. I really didn’t want to be too specific about location because I’m open.
Thanks again for your suggestions!
Old 22-12-2019, 12:56   #7

Wow! Your boat is very tidy and nice! I think we are interested in a motor boat since it would fit our needs a bit more, but this is certainly a beauty! I’ve been to NYC exactly one weekend and it was great! Loved the museums, restaurants, Trinity Church, the 911 Memorial, the Staten Island ferry, etc. so much to see and do! And so expensive. ��
Old 22-12-2019, 12:59   #8

I would charter a variety of vessels before deciding if it's really what you want to do.
Also lookup Sailorboy1 on this forum and read his posts
Old 22-12-2019, 13:04   #9

That’s a great idea, especially if that would include a captain that could teach us the ropes (literally!).
Old 22-12-2019, 14:41   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't think chartering a boat teaches you anything other than how to vacation for a week on a boat.

OP i didnt see it - whats you boating experience? You would probably have better luck being crew or a guess than finding someone to rent their boat to you (i doubt anyones insurance would allow such a thing)
Old 22-12-2019, 14:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenipela1 View Post
Wow! Your boat is very tidy and nice! I think we are interested in a motor boat since it would fit our needs a bit more, but this is certainly a beauty! I’ve been to NYC exactly one weekend and it was great! Loved the museums, restaurants, Trinity Church, the 911 Memorial, the Staten Island ferry, etc. so much to see and do! And so expensive. ��
Go to www.trawlerforum.com
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 16:00   #12

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't think chartering a boat teaches you anything other than how to vacation for a week on a boat.

OP i didnt see it - whats you boating experience? You would probably have better luck being crew or a guess than finding someone to rent their boat to you (i doubt anyones insurance would allow such a thing)
Except me. Risk taker. Ha ha ha.

I think they're looking to sit at the dock and liveaboard, right? Not cruise?

I'll rent bareboat to anyone with a reasonable amount of verifiable experience and a sailing certificate.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenipela1 View Post
Hello. My husband is retired and I am almost there myself (active, early 50s). We love to be on the water whenever possible and are thinking about life on a boat, at least for a couple months out of the year. My question is we’d really like to rent or lease a live-aboard for a period of time before committing to purchasing one, preferably on the Southeast coast or Intracoastal Waterway. Is this a possibility? I’ve reached out to a couple of yacht brokers and none have replied- maybe I’m phrasing the question wrong. I’d really hate to sink the $ into purchasing a vessel and find out that it isn’t a good fit for us. Any help is much appreciated!

If you and your husband just want see what living aboard is like, it would be easy if the boat will not move and stay in the marina or anchored. There are plenty of individuals that would do that for 3-6 months or maybe a year. Think of all the under loved and under used boats sitting in marina's. It is a plus for the owner if some one is actually living on their boat that they are not using as long as you are decent tenants. An owner might even do it for next to nothing if you agree to vacate on short notice and if you allow the boat to be shown while you are living on it. Then you can crew on other people boats or charter during that time to get a taste for sailing. The above will likely cost less than where you live now.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:38   #14

Thank you for your response. Yes, we would be the ideal tenants! We rent vrbo properties often and pride ourselves in leaving them cleaner than when we arrived! We are retired LE and IT pros so we are pretty trustworthy. It looks like when the time comes we will just post in some marina areas, asking if folks who have their boats for sale would be interested in renting to us with the option to buy if we like it. That way their boat would be kept in good shape and they'd get some money out of it during the rental period. The last time I rented a house I bought it so I do get attached to things.
Old 23-12-2019, 09:40   #15
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch
Cool Re: Rent or Lease Liveaboard Before Buying

If what you are after is the experience - without breaking the bank - try Air BnB. For example there's a 43' Beneateau Oceanis in the Greek Islands that is renting for $24/night - you read that right.

The money you save would easily pay for your transport and you'd gain the experience of what it's like to spend most of your time aboard. No doubt you could negotiate for a month or so - the beauty of this is no commitment, flexibility and an unforgettable trip to boot.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, lease, liveaboard