Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2014, 19:40   #46

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

I care less about timeless and what's proper and more about the personal satisfaction delivered to my crew and I for the boat buck spent.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 19:51   #47
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I also like the Jeanneau 36i and 39i
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 23:17   #48

Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

Jenneau is kinda like the Oceanis 38, but interior is too tight.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:28   #49

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Not really. The older Sun fast yes, the two that are made today (3200 and 3600) are much more racers then cruisers (I don't think any cruiser will buy one of those). The First 35, 45 and 50 are great performance cruisers. They can be used and are used to race and to cruise. Only the 40 is not as good in what regards cruising potential (it has not a decent anchor locker) but even so is much more suited for cruising than the SF 3600. Take a look at the interior and notice the mini galley and spartan interior, much more than a Pogo for instance.

Well I can't comment onthe Sun 'fast 36 since I don't know this boat, but the Sun Fast 40 (I have one) easily qualifies as a Perfromance Cruiser. The hull, body and interior are exactly the same as the Sun Odyessy. The difference is the SF has an extra 400 kGs of lead in the keel (also 25cm longer keel) and the mast is about 1 meter higher (and a through mast) giving, I believe about 9 sq. meters more mainsail.

She's pretty fast and very comfortable.

And here's the disclaimer - yes I predjuidiced, I like my boat and as a cruiser, she has lots of room.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:47   #50

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Well I can't comment onthe Sun 'fast 36 since I don't know this boat, but the Sun Fast 40 (I have one) easily qualifies as a Perfromance Cruiser. The hull, body and interior are exactly the same as the Sun Odyessy. The difference is the SF has an extra 400 kGs of lead in the keel (also 25cm longer keel) and the mast is about 1 meter higher (and a through mast) giving, I believe about 9 sq. meters more mainsail.

She's pretty fast and very comfortable.

And here's the disclaimer - yes I predjuidiced, I like my boat and as a cruiser, she has lots of room.
I said: "[B]The older Sun fast yes, the two that are made today (3200 and 3600) are much more racers then cruisers"

Regarding not knowing it easy to know. Just look at the video that you have on the quote in your post and you will see that the interior of today's SunFast has nothing to do with your boat's interior. The good news is that their speed potential has also nothing to do with the one of your boat. They are basically ocean racers that can be used also in regatta racing and eventually in weekend cruising.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:22   #51

http://www.sailmagazine.com/best-boa...u-oceanis-38-0
Old 03-04-2014, 05:55   #52
cruiser

Funny i was looking online last night at the jeanneau 3600. Awesome boat. but the price :O
Old 03-04-2014, 11:43   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Funny i was looking online last night at the jeanneau 3600. Awesome boat. but the price :O
The high price is from the same reason why a First 45 is substancially more expensive than an Oceanis 45 even if the interior of the Oceanis 45 seems much bigger and nicer. The price of better masts, bigger and more winches, better and more sail hardware and a hull more reinforced due to a bigger B/D ratio and more rigidity is what makes a boat expensive and the SF3600 is a top performance boat.

I never imagined you would like that boat, with that Avatar it looks you like only old stuff, but if you liked that one there is a much more interesting boat in what regards cruising, the JPK 10.80.

Both boats have been designed to fight against each other, not only in regatta but mainly to win the next Transquadra, that is a famous solo or duo transat race, and contrary to the French other Transats, one for amateurs with more than 40 year of age (even if the French have top amateurs).

The difference is that while the 3600 has a racing galley and two seats one on each side of the boat (for offshore solo racing) the JPK can have two interiors, one similar to the 3600 and the other with a good cruising interior, with a good galley and a good head. Nice interior too.

The first one out had a cruising interior, even if has been performing already at top level racing. It has also a funny looking side "window" that allows to look forward from inside the boat.

Below (linK) you have the results of the first race will real times and some photos of the boat including the interior. There was a J122 racing , a bigger boat that races on other class and has a much bigger rating and the JPK was doing about the same times (as well as the 3600 that was racing as well). 36 ft boats that can go as fast as a very fast 12m cruiser racer what we are talking about. If they were cheap they would be selling like pop corn

Interesting Sailboats: JPK 10.80 - First time out / first race

In what regards cruising the JPK 38 is better. More easy to be solo sailed, more stable, fast and with more interior space:

Only if one wants the boat for racing at high level and for cruising the new JPK 10.80 is a better option (the 38 has a bad rating for regatta). Racing at high level is never cheap, but maybe you can get a sponsor that pays your cruising time too
Old 03-04-2014, 12:17   #54
cruiser

You make an interesting point that these racing boats might have the edge for ocean solo sailing. Now, I want one!
Old 03-04-2014, 14:12   #55

Boat: Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I also like the Jeanneau 36i and 39i
The 39i was revolutionary of that era, I believe it was one of the first sub 40ft (just) boats that had the twin helm and the resultant multi functional cockpit in what still looked like a very sleek design, sailed on one that the owner had spent a few bucks on to optimise (sails, new rig etc) very slippery.

A great boat and really the grandfather (albeit only 7 - 8 years old) of the modern twin helm sub 40ft boat cruiser and occasional racer.

Now I have convinced myself I want one all over again.

My perpetual stumbling block (outside of the fact I can't afford one) with Jeanneau v say a Beneteau is they always seem that bit tighter inside, not sure why as the volumes appear almost comparable in most cases. This has the immediate effect of putting the admiral offside and she ultimately has to be comfortable for me to have any chance to sail my boat.

Any thoughts

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 14:33   #56

At the time the 39i come to the market I liked the boat and try to convince my wife (on a boat show) but boat storage and practical cruising aspects is her territory. She cleared vetoed the boat because it had less storage space than the Bavaria 36 that we own at that time. I could only convince her with the 42i and even so she was not very satisfied regarding the size of the storage space versus the boat size. In what regards that the 409 with those deep lockers at the stern is a lot better.
Old 03-04-2014, 14:34   #57
cruiser

What Admiral says is what Admiral gets would be my instinctive reply. SaltyMonkey has no admirals or priests, so he is AOK.

39i someways more attractive than 379 - has better nav station me thinks. Transom is doable for wind vane vs 379. Else very similar design. ya? Double fin rudders is seductive though. Same with beeechin!

But if dreaming, then why not DS 41?

Bennies? Not sure the inside attraction diffs. 37 2 cabin version maybe. B37 has nicer forward cabin and galley that J me thinks.

Wish both had B and J had side windows on the under 40 boats -- open up n get light n see fishes when heeled.
Old 03-04-2014, 14:45   #58

Boat: Custom

We ultimately purchased a Bavaria 39 for all the reasons Salty Monkey and Polux talk about.

She suited all the admirals desires BUT she was a dog, huge hull windage, inadequate diesel (even with the upgraded 55hp) to combat stiff seas. The mainsheet was on the cockpit roof, the traveller was tiny, the genoa cars were to far outboard to point anywhere but down 10 degrees plus, steering components were severely undersized for the rudder (not my opinion, 2 Nautical Engineers and a shipwright mate over beers), Headsail winches were too far forward etc etc

But she was comfortable! Had plenty of storage! Heaps and I mean heaps, of headroom - you could have walked a gorilla through the Saloon without bending his head.

Anyway, we all live and learn.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 23:38   #59

High freeboard is completely normal for newer designs, people want headroom and when the boat is built lighter the only way to get headroom is to go up. You didn't buy a Hallberg Rassy so lightly equipped boats and undersized gear is the norm. Its a tough market out there and all the production builders are building down to a price not up to a high level of quality. Having said that you still get a lot for your money these days in a production boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:51   #60

Here is a keep alive for the question on the 349. Salty and I have the same taste apparently as the 349 is at top of my list to buy new. Anyone have updates for us?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau