Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 09:51   #1

Boat: Grampian, 26ft, Columbia
Hunter 27' : blue water/carrib island hopping worthy?

So after the past few months of sailing with my local yacht club, i now have a dire taste to get out there on the water with my own boat. But now it comes down to picking, pricing and purchasing.

So i have been seeing alot of Catalinas and hunters going for a really decent price. I am kind of shocked as to how cheap some of them are. but when i see one that has been inspected and the inspector says it is a sound vessel AND the price is right.. it starts getting my heart a pumping.

So now I need to find some information on these boats. So as I search, i figure i would ask the experts here on cruisingforums.com to speed up my searching.

I think the biggest question on my mind would be if this boat would be worthy to head into the carribbean? I currently live in Canada and have had thoughts to travel down the coast in a smaller boat until I hit warm weather and hop around the carrib islands for awhile. Would this sort of boat hold up in the coastal skirting as well as traveling from island to island? Are there any cruisers out there right now that are using one of these boats?

Also, maybe if someone could direct me in the direction of a good boat that they believe would be good for what i want, a name/maker of the vessel would be a great help too!
Capt Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:48   #2

Boat: C&C 27
This is probably not the best choise due to its size and build but then you get into the Bahamas there will be some there. A couple of C&C 27s make the trip and another made it across the Atlantic but it is not the best choice. A Catalina 27 made it around the world and the skipper lived to write a book about it. I believe there are at least two types of Hunter 27s by different designers. There is a thread on production costal cruisers as long term cruisers, just search Hunter 34.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:40   #3

Boat: PSC 31
Most would not recommend it. In that size and price, look at a Contessa 26. Here's an example: YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale
stevemac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 13:46   #4

We bought a Catalina last year, looked at a lot of Hunters and Catalinas. Usually they were cheap because the deck core was rotten or soon to be rotten. Huge problem, expensive to fix and makes the boat unsuitable for even the lakes let alone Caribbean. Water in the deck is very common in these older boats and it is also frequently missed when the vessel is inspected.

We've chartered in the Caribbean, it is not a millpond, we wished the Beneteau 41' we had was 141' at one point. People sail unseaworthy boats all over the place and survive but frequently they screw up. Then our politicians and law enforcement agencies feel the need to step in and keep us "safe" and bury us in more laws. These boats aren't meant to do this, find one that is and have a great voyage.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 15:51   #5

Don't know about newer models, but a 70s-80s Hunter 27 is not a bluewater boat. However, the trip you describe does not require bluewater sailing. These boats would not be acceptable cruisers for us simply because no matter how they are eqipped they are too small - but your liveaboard comfort needs/wants/expectations are personal to you. We met a guy in St. Maarten who had been single handing in the Caribbean on an H27 for over a year - '77 model I think. He and his girlfriend had planned to buy a $100K+ something, but the boat deal and the relationship fell apart. His theory was that the H27 was big enough for him; it was cheap to buy and maintain; and if needed, he could easily afford to rent slips in island resort marinas where they sometimes didn't even charge him slip fees - just water and shore power.

In my opinion you do not need a bluewater boat - most any Good Condition cruiser class boat, including light weight mass produced small ones, is capable of the kind of trip you describe. For some of the best logs ever written - 2 people and a dog on a CS 27 who did exactly what you have in mind - go here:

Destiny's big trip, page 1
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 16:13   #6

Have you looked at a Pearson? Not a bluewater boat but a tough one.
hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 17:12   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I agree that if possible you should opt for a "solid" lay up boat with a full keel. I just don't like cored construction or the relatively lightweight rigs on many "popular" boats. However, Hunters and Catalinas are in plenty supply and as "mass" production boats they are relatively inexpensive.

If that is truly the boat you can afford - don't forget maintenance - I would go for it - at least you will have plenty to choose from. You don't say when you want to go south but if it's a couple of years away you will have two years experience and will "know" if you trust the boat to make it.

I have absolutely no clue about carribean cruising but coastal cruising can simply be a matter of lot's of day sails strung together. If you have a "big" crossing to make just be ultra conservative on the weather and my guess is you'll be OK.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 06:54   #8
DWJ

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49
From 1977 to 1982/83 Hunter produced a very good boat designed by John Cherubini. These boats are very seaworthy and easy to single hand. Cherubini Hunters are very easy to recognize and although in demand, you can still get them for a good price. I would have no issues doing with this boat what you have planned.
DWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 15:17   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 30es fractional rig "Evolution"
Send a message via MSN to Prflyer1 Send a message via Skype™ to Prflyer1
agree with DWJ

have seen some older 77' to early 80's Hunter 27, cruising in the Carib, the most you see in that range is Pearsons, so there most be a reason, I would look more towards Pearson 28's, seen many at reasonable prices
Old 17-09-2007, 15:29   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 30es fractional rig "Evolution"
Send a message via MSN to Prflyer1 Send a message via Skype™ to Prflyer1
mind you, I have seen them cruise here, not make the Canada / Carib trip. two very different things in my mind. just want to clearify that.

Regards,

Danny
Old 17-09-2007, 16:43   #11

I also agree with DWJ. I said 70s-80s H27s were not bluewater boats and I believe this is the common view. Nevertheless, they were a Cherubini design, they have solid glass hulls, and they are well rergarded. These boats are apprx. 2 feet wider, and 2000 lbs heavier with a correspondingly larger rig than a Contessa 26. In my opinion a '77-'82 H27 in Good Condition is a better choice for a Canada - Caribbean cruise simply because it represents a more comfortable and probably cheaper liveaboard platform.
Old 17-09-2007, 16:57   #12

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
I have been set (mostly) on a Hunter 34 (now Im looking a bit bigger) but just wanted to say for what I consider a low price you can pick up a H34 in great shape with lots of cruising extras for between 27k-36k. (thats asking price not what they will take). And just my very uneducated advice....get to a boat yard and get inside a Hunter, I was very very surprised at how roomy it felt to me and my son.

Just my thoughts as I search for my dream boat.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 17:20   #13

Vonotto - trust your instincts. My wife and I cruised the Bahamas/Caribbean from Florida all the way to So. America and back on an '83 H34. We now want a bigger boat -probably a catamaran, but mostly that's because of my deteriorating hip and knees.

For some spectacular H34 remodeling ideas go here:

Epitome' Rebuild
Old 18-09-2007, 01:43   #14
cnj

Boat: Fontain Pejot Tobago 35 Cat Alee
I own an older hunter 27 and while it's a great boat for around the bay here, I wouldn't do the trip you have in mind on it. Wind over 20 knots and I'm white knuckled (for my husband it's at about 25 knots). We spent a week on it once and it was very cramped with all the extra gear, food, etc. For our Carribean trip (and beyond) we bought a 35 ft Catamaran.
cnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 12:39   #15

Re: Hunter 27' : blue water/carrib island hopping worthy?

I have a Hunter 25 shoal keel trailerable and I live in Hawaii. I have gone from island to island with this little sailor and never over 25 miles off shore and always stopping overnight on each island. Always in sight of land. It is not the boat...its the sailor!!! Most of our islands are 25 to 40 miles apart. Just be prudent when sailing and check the weather often. I have never really been bluewater with this boat!!! Its not a bluewater sailor. She does coastal fine....again not the boat...its the sailor and familiar ocean knowledge.

Aloha
kamanodental is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter