Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2010, 19:46   #1

Boat: Ebbtide 36
Norfolk Island - Australia (Pacific)

Hello

I've been searching for info on Norfolk Island. It seems to slip conveniently between the realms of Australia/New Zealand/Pacific in terms of cruising guides in that none of the few I've consulted mention it? The Admiralty sailing directions Australian Pilot III has some info but not much in the way of small boats.

I'm keen to visit but am concerned about swell and poor anchorage, its a long way out of our way to go to find out there is no suitable anchorage! On the chart it appears as if there are a few spots worth investigating. I'm keen to hear from anyone that has visited the place, any tips/advice/info gratefully received.

Thank You
ianhef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 20:44   #2

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Hi there,

I haven't been there but found this info on the Seabreeze website which will give you some helpfull information. It is on my radar to visit in the future as well but is an island that you would always need to have someone capable on board at all times and not leave the boat unattended.

You will note in the article that it says "Norfolk Island does not have any safe harbour and anchorage is off the island in open waters, either at Kingston (Southern side) or Cascade (Northern side)[There are dinghy landings in both of these]. At a pinch Ball Bay on the South East is sometimes used, however not recommended for the purposes of clearing Customs, as it is difficult and at times dangerous landing."

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Sai...d_2161406.aspx
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 19:21   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
I live six months of the year on Norfolk and have lived there on and off since the mid 1960's. It is worth visiting but very weather prone, with no harbour at all and mostly high cliffs. If you are prepared to wait around there is usually a lee to anchor in, but no guarantee of getting ashore.
No boats are kept in the water, they are craned in and out when needed. Sometimes the fishing boats can't get out for a week or so.
The main landing places are stone jetties at Cascade and Kingston.
Having said that, lots of yachts pop in there, usually on their way north from New Zealand.
If you stop there, I would suggest you have someone on board at all times.
Every so often a yacht goes ashore there and is lost.
When are you proposing to go?
Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 15:12   #4

Boat: Ebbtide 36
Hi Richard.
Thanks for the information. I was planning on calling in some time in February. My girlfriend's friend lives on the island so she is very keen to call by. Sounds like she will be doing the visiting while I sit on the boat! Are there any plans to put a few heavy moorings in at any stage?
ianhef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 15:48   #5

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Like what Richard has posted, I read an article in an old Cruising Helmsman or similar about boats getting in trouble out there due the lack of any “real” harbour/anchorage. From memory it strongly advocated that if you were going anywhere near the place ensure you have the dedicated detailed nautical chart of the island (and a bloody good anchor?). Unfortunately, the article gave a blow-for-blow account of how one particularly ill-prepared boat ended up on the rocks luckily in this case leaving the crew alive.
Old 25-09-2010, 17:23   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Permanent Moorings?

Does anybody know if there are any permanent moorings available at Norfolk Island that could be used by a visiting yacht?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 19:29   #7

There are no permanent moorings available around Norfolk. There are sandy patches that are OK for anchoring.
It is important to have a chart. A solo sailor ran aground on one of the outlying islands in the last couple of years and lost everything. There are no useful nav aids except some leads for Cascade and Kingston. There is an occulting light on top of Mount Pitt which is lit if they are expecting aircraft at night.
From memory the airport frequency is 118.1 but you would need to check that.
February is maybe not such a good time to be sailing out there, as we often get the tail end of cyclones that originate further north.
Regards, Richard.
Old 25-09-2010, 20:10   #8

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Was this not the island first visited by Capt Cook who raved about the suitability of fine mast timber available. I believe there was a thriving trade of square riggers that cut timber and delivered them back to England in the 1700's for mast material for the British fleet. Surely there must still be some anchorage in that area somewhere. If not, the days of wooden ships and iron men has surely past.
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 23:09   #9

Phil, unfortunately, Cook was wrong about the Norfolk pine. Although it is a magnificent tree its knots make it totally unsuitable for spars and it was never used as such. Norfolk served as a food growing area for the first settlement in Australia, and the Sirius was wrecked on the reef at Kingston.
The island's other claim to fame was as a brutal prison outpost. A lot of those original buildings are still standing.
Regards, Richard.
Old 26-09-2010, 09:04   #10

Thanks for the correction, Richard... don't know where I got that idea from but obviously misread it somewhere. If anyone is interested, there is, I believe, the original copy of Cooks log in the Library just up the street from the Sydney Opera Center that one used to be able to look at and make photocopies. Makes for very interesting reading. Were not the Norfolk Pines known for their straight grain and trueness? Perhaps I was recalling Cooks' hopefulness in his quest for good mast timber.
Old 27-11-2010, 21:18   #11

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
How does stopping at Norfolk go now that the Aussies are being persnickety about the 96 hour thing? (Leaving from NZ)

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 23:38   #12

Dana-Tenacity, I am on the Island at the moment, would you like me to ring someone and find out what the procedures are? Regards, Richard.
Old 08-03-2018, 00:18   #13

Boat: Shamrock Club-Racer, 30'
Re: Norfolk Island - Australia (Pacific)

Anyone any information about the customs and quarantine laws for Norfolk?

I'm working on a general plan for a circumnavigation, for which we plan to cast off in 2 years time.

At the moment I'm considering Norfolk as a waypoint going from New-Caledonia to Auckland (NZ) where we plan to spend the gale season.

As we have 2 cats, of which at least 1 will be coming along on this trip, I would like to know if we can visit (and what the modalities would be) or if we would be better off just sailing directly to Auckland?

Sincerely,
Jurgen
jpuype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 13:08   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jurgen:

Your cats will be put in quarantine, at your expense, in New Zealand and Australia. NZ may allow you to keep them on board, and show them to the inspectors weekly, but in Oz, it will be to the quarantine cattery. Their presence will limit your cruising options throughout the Pacific.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but, really, imho, it would be kinder to them to find them a good home before bringing them out to the Pacific. Some friends of ours, one of their kitties survived the quarantine experience okay, but the other one was forever after terrified of people it didn't know. It would run and hide below, shivering, when visitors came to their boat. They said it had been a friendly cat, before.

Ann
Old 08-03-2018, 13:41   #15

Well said, Ann!
Cheers, Phil

Tags
Norfolk Island, Australia