Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2018, 13:49   #1

Central America marinas/diesel fuel/provisions

Hello all, I’m delivering a small catamaran from Florida to Panama. We have a small fridge, a smaller freezer and limited space for external fuel containers. I am looking for any suggestions on marinas/fuel docks/provisions please. There appear to be a few choices in Mexico and Belize, not so sure about Nicaragua, Honduras and Costa Rica. Am also considering St Andrew Island or Providence Island. Any other helpful tips (local knowledge) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! Captain Karl
CaptainKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 18:02   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Central America marinas/diesel fuel/provisions

Power or sail? When?

The "Rain's Guide" gives a good overview of ports of call and routes thru the region, more power vessel oriented:

https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Port...entral+america

My Western Caribbean Cruising Notes might also prove useful (especially for sail and weather routing):

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Carib...tern+caribbean

After Belize & Mexico:

Guatemala is a viable stop, but out of your way.

Mainland Honduras is best avoided by a wide margin due to security issues, but the Bay Islands are viable.

Nicaraguan Banks have some serious recent security issues. See Noon Site and CSSN for details.

The East coast of Nicaragua is best avoided due to security issues and not much there for ports of call anyway.

Providencia and San Andreas are both great stops.

You mention St Andrews...did you mean San Andreas?

Cruising boats dont usually stop on the Carib coast of Costa Rica, because it has little to offer and is well off the rhumb line to Panama. Though you could likely take on fuel in Puerto Limón.

Next stop from Providencia/San Andreas is often Bocas Del Toro, Panama.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 05:03   #3

Thank you Belizesailor! I’ll check those out.

We leave West Florida on Wednesday if the weather cooperates. 30’ catamaran.

Yes, San Andres. Navionics has it listed both ways on their charts.

I see they are both on amazon. I don’t have enough time to get them shipped to Key Largo before we leave. Do you happen to have them available electronically? Maybe IBooks or Kindle? Is there any other way I could get them?

Thanks again for your help!

Captain Karl
Old 23-04-2018, 05:06   #4

De nada.

The Rain's Guide to my knowledge is only available in hardcopy format. My Notes are available on Amazon in Kindle format.

Thats a 30' power or sail cat? (Makes a difference for routing choices).
Old 23-04-2018, 06:45   #5

Rains Guide is very likely available from Blue Water Books & Charts in Ft Lauderdale...other local chandleries like West Marine may stock too. Shipping anywhere in FL to FL is next day delivery via UPS Ground.
Old 23-04-2018, 08:43   #6
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKarl View Post
Thank you Belizesailor! I’ll check those out.

We leave West Florida on Wednesday if the weather cooperates. 30’ catamaran.

Yes, San Andres. Navionics has it listed both ways on their charts.

I see they are both on amazon. I don’t have enough time to get them shipped to Key Largo before we leave. Do you happen to have them available electronically? Maybe IBooks or Kindle? Is there any other way I could get them?

Thanks again for your help!

Captain Karl
Are you staying in Key Largo? We'll be there tomorrow and I can give you my Raines book. I've abandoned thoughts of heading south, at least for now. We are in Marathon at the moment. Let me know.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 11:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
Are you staying in Key Largo? We'll be there tomorrow and I can give you my Raines book. I've abandoned thoughts of heading south, at least for now. We are in Marathon at the moment. Let me know.
We are in Key Largo right now. We plan to leave tomorrow to go pick up the boat on the west coast. You can text or call me at (205) 281-3537. That would be fantastic if the timing works out!
Old 23-04-2018, 11:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
De nada.

The Rain's Guide to my knowledge is only available in hardcopy format. My Notes are available on Amazon in Kindle format.

She is a sailing cat.
Old 23-04-2018, 11:21   #9

Quote:
De nada.

I looked on Amazon for “my notes” and “belizesailor” and was unsuccessful.
What should I put in the search bar?

Thank you!
Old 23-04-2018, 11:26   #10

Belizesailor, I found it in one of your earlier posts. My bad. And thank you! I’ll get it!
Old 23-04-2018, 11:33   #11

Quote:
I looked on Amazon for “my notes” and “belizesailor” and was unsuccessful.
What should I put in the search bar?

Thank you!
I posted a direct link earlier. Here it is again, just click on the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Carib...tern+caribbean

Or search on "Western Caribbean Cruising Notes".
Old 23-04-2018, 12:16   #12

Quote:
She is a sailing cat.
The fact that its sail makes a big difference in routing options. You dont really need to stop often or need much diesel...unless you just want to break up the trip or do some cruising.

Ive sailed from Acklins, Bahamas to the Bay Islands, Honduras and burnt just a few gallons of diesel...mostly just for charging batteries.

If you just want to get to Panama, and avoid getting stuck with unfavorable winds in the Bay Islands for getting around the corner of Honduras/Nicaragua (bit of trivia: Columbus named this cape "Gracias a Dios" after spending many days trying to round it! ), then You could go S thru the Windward Passage and avoid a lot of unecessary Westing...on the right wind you could sail all the way to Panama...or at least Providencia (winds will likely go light on you once S of 11N on the rhumb line to Bocas).

Is Bocas your final destination?
Old 23-04-2018, 12:21   #13

Quote:
The fact that its sail makes a big difference in routing options. You dont really need to stop often or need much diesel...unless you just want to break up the trip or do some cruising.

Ive sailed from Acklins, Bahamas to the Bay Islands, Honduras and burnt just a few gallons of diesel...mostly just for charging batteries.

If you just want to get to Panama, and avoid getting stuck with unfavorable winds in the Bay Islands for getting around the corner of Honduras/Nicaragua (bit of trivia: Columbus named this cape "Gracias a Dios" after spending many days trying to round it! ), then You could go S thru the Windward Passage and avoid a lot of unecessary Westing...on the right wind you could sail all the way to Panama...or at least Providencia (winds will likely go light on you once S of 11N on the rhumb line to Bocas).

Is Bocas your final destination?
No sir. We are going through the canal. The owner we are working for found a marina on the south coast where he and his wife plan to retire.

I’d love to do more sailing! Unfortunately this boat is not set up for long sails. Small fridge, smaller freezer and the owner is bringing his 2 dogs. He said it’s easier and faster to bring them by boat than by plane.
Old 23-04-2018, 12:39   #14

Quote:
No sir. We are going through the canal. The owner we are working for found a marina on the south coast where he and his wife plan to retire.

I’d love to do more sailing! Unfortunately this boat is not set up for long sails. Small fridge, smaller freezer and the owner is bringing his 2 dogs. He said it’s easier and faster to bring them by boat than by plane.
Ah, then Colon is your destination...the sail from the Windward Passage to Colon is only about 700 miles...so even if you only average 5 knots in a small cat, thats only about 6 days...something to consider...cuts a LOT of time and distance off vs the Westward route (Panama is actually due S of Florida, so the Westward route is WAY longer...and you have to fight back East against prevailing Trades). You could make for Providencia first from Windward Passage and wait for weather to hop to Colon from there.

Western Panama almost always has light and variable winds, but Eastern Panama gets seasonal trade winds..so its feasible to sail to Colon.

Does he know the clearance requirments in the countries on your route for dogs? Have all their paperwork? Most Central American countries dont really care, but best to check current information to make sure nothing has changed.

Having cruised and traveled with pets in the region I can tell you it is neither easier nor faster than flying them in...it might be cheaper though.
Old 23-04-2018, 13:16   #15

Quote:
Ah, then Colon is your destination...the sail from the Windward Passage to Colon is only about 700 miles...so even if you only average 5 knots in a small cat, thats only about 6 days...something to consider...cuts a LOT of time and distance off vs the Westward route (Panama is actually due S of Florida, so the Westward route is WAY longer...and you have to fight back East against prevailing Trades). You could make for Providencia first from Windward Passage and wait for weather to hop to Colon from there.

Western Panama almost always has light and variable winds, but Eastern Panama gets seasonal trade winds..so its feasible to sail to Colon.

Does he know the clearance requirments in the countries on your route for dogs? Have all their paperwork? Most Central American countries dont really care, but best to check current information to make sure nothing has changed.

Having cruised and traveled with pets in the region I can tell you it is neither easier nor faster than flying them in...it might be cheaper though.

He said he has taken care of all the papers for the dogs. Thank you SO much for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with me. I already downloaded your notes to kindle and started reading!

Tags
Central America, diesel, fuel, marinas