Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 10:06   #1

Boat: 1989 Catalina MKI 42 ft
Conservation research trip through the Caribbean

We are planning to take an investigative research trip through the Caribbean checking coral reefs and collecting samples for analysis of presence of plastic particles. Our tentative final destination is Venezuela. We have been working with the global conservation organization, Mission Blue, and have a Hope Spot nomination in Venezuela. We are in need of a captain experienced in mechanics and electricity and knowledgeable in navigation of the Caribbean. We plan to set sail on or about May 1 and arrive in Venezuela by mid to late July. I own a 1989 42 ft Catalina with some sailing experience in San Francisco Bay and in southern Florida. I am presently in Key West, FL, finishing preparations and getting the boat in shape for the voyage. My crew mate who is spearheading the scientific research is a Marine Biologist from Venezuela, but he has no sailing experience. The prospective captain we had lined up for the trip can no longer make it and we are looking for a new candidate. This is a labor of love for science and adventure since I cannot afford to pay a captain’s wages. Sharing expenses is negotiable.
gmagrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 16:52   #2

Re: Conservation research trip through the Caribbean

Just weighing in here a bit - I think you're going to have a hard time finding an experienced skipper who's willing to forego pay for this trip. Granted, it sounds like an awesome plan, and I really support what you're doing for the conservation research - I wish others would do this too! - but speaking as a delivery & freelance skipper living on a shoestring, it's really difficult to justify a trip of this duration with no pay.

I'll spread the word for ya though. Best of luck!
vmattiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 18:14   #3

Boat: 1989 Catalina MKI 42 ft

V,
Thanks for the reply and offer for help in looking. Looks like we've found someone. He's currently going for his USCG Captain's license and needs sea time. Has had experience in delivering a boat and sailing in the Caribbean so I think it's a go. I realized it would not be easy to find someone to do this without pay, but this looks like we'll be helping each other. I understand your position, but really can't afford to pay a captain for so long a voyage. Thanks. Gregg
gmagrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 18:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Might want to check into the hurricane season in the northern carribean areas!
Good luck.
Old 31-03-2017, 03:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gregg.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, Caribbean, research, rib