Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 13:13   #1

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Navionics iOS and Android - One account or two?

I have android phone and paid to have Navionics on the android device.

I also have an iPad and I am wondering if I have to pay again to run Navionics on the iPad.

When I try to use the android user name and password, it does not work to log in on the iPad.

Looks like I may have to pay twice to get Navionics running on iPad and android smart phone?
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 13:29   #2
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23
Re: Navionics iOS and Android - One account or two?

Yep. You can use your android license on multiple android devices, but not on others such as ios or chart plotters.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 13:47   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Navionics iOS and Android - One account or two?

Thanks for the information. Big help.

I am using the iPad only for route planning and not using it for actual navigation. In the real world, I consult paper charts before making any major navigational decisions. I also get a second opinion from our Axiom 9 cMap charts.

With the navionics, I can see what may be possible considering sea state and direction of wind. It's more dynamic than a paper chart, and helps me consider the various options available. I can more quickly assess possible anchorages as well.

So I will bite the bullet most likely and get the iOS version as it is easier for my presbyopic eyes to view the chart on my iPad pro. Zooming in can show some surprising things that I might not have noticed by other methods.

It's interesting to see the differences in charts between the paper charts, cMap, and Navionics. It gives me plenty to think about and keeps me on my toes as I navigate with my eyes.

One our circumnavigation, we sometimes used photocopied charts which were their own unique challenge. They had the advantage that when I colored things in with a colored pencil, I became more aware of important chart detail.

A lot of different ways to get from A to B, and all of them have their limitations. I am in the process of discovering the limitations of each method.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics