Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2019, 20:13   #1

Boat: 1983 Lancer 44' Motorsailer
AC/Navionics Chart Symbols

These are prolly stupid questions but I just can't seem to find the answers.

What is the meaning of:

1. the pink sailboat in a circle

2. the pink seabird standing on one leg

3. the black "+" on a small red hash background

4. in the depth numbers, what is the smaller number displayed to the lower right of many depth numbers?

Alternatively, if there is a legend site for Navionics chart symbols, I'd appreciate a link
Old 30-03-2019, 20:31   #2

Re: AC/Navionics Chart Symbols

With most (all?) systems that use these charts there is a way to "pick" an area and get the details. The equivalent to a "right click" on the computer. If you don't know this LEARN IT!

1. the pink sailboat in a circle
Points to some feature like a marina or other marine service area.

2. the pink seabird standing on one leg
A wildlife or nature reserve of some kind. Usually indicating some type of special fishing regulations.

3. the black "+" on a small red hash background
Haven't noticed this one, and a quick scan of my local area doesn't show anything that matches this description.

4. in the depth numbers, what is the smaller number displayed to the lower right of many depth numbers?
This is the same on all paper charts, the small number is the decimal fraction of the larger number. So a "10" with a small "2" is 10.2. The reason this is done is to avoid the possibility of missing a tiny little "." when reading the number. There is a rather big difference between 10.2 and 102
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 23:56   #3

Thanx for the info billknny

However, marinas or marine services are represented by a round-cornered red rectangle with a white sailboat. I was asking about the pink sailboat in a pink circle

For an example of the third symbol I was asking about, see the bahamas. They're all over the place there.

I cant find anything that tells me for sure but I always assumed that the depth numbers were fathoms?
Old 31-03-2019, 02:38   #4

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 32

Capn - the red + sign on the red hashed background is the symbol for a rock. The sailboat in the circle icon is, I believe, the old symbol for marinas from before Navionics had AC info on their charts. In most cases there is a new AC symbol that supersedes the olds ones.

Are you using Navionics on a laptop, tablet, or phone? On my tablet and phone I can tap the screen to get the cross hairs up, center those cross hairs on the symbols on the chart, and an info box pops up giving details of what the symbol represents.
bigdogandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 10:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
With most (all?) systems that use these charts there is a way to "pick" an area and get the details. The equivalent to a "right click" on the computer. If you don't know this LEARN IT!
I believe I have found the source of some of my "confusion." I was using my laptop to view the Active Captain maps (https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/Map), which appear to now include a Navionics overlay(?). On this site, there is no way to "pick" an area. To view the info related to a user-added symbol (like the anchor or red sailboat), one left-clicks that symbol which opens a tab on the left side of the screen that contains the info. However, clicking (either left or right) on the symbols that I initially asked about does not produce an info tab or an explanation.

It looks like the pink sailboats are a legacy from the Navionics program that have not been programmed with functionality. This symbol corresponds to the "Marina or Yacht Basin" symbol on NOAA charts, but there many of these on the AC and Navionics charts that are obviously not marinas.

I looked all over both the AC and Navionics sites but could not find any documentation on how to use the maps nor on the symbols I asked about. And, while the NOAA digital charts indicate the unit of measurement for soundings, the AC and Navionics sites do not. So I have tried to "Learn It" as you suggested. Trying to learn is why I posted these questions.

I have attached screenshots of both sites for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ssac.jpg
Views:	5281
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	189097   Click image for larger version

Name:	ssnav.jpg
Views:	3117
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	189099  

Old 31-03-2019, 10:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Capn - the red + sign on the red hashed background is the symbol for a rock. The sailboat in the circle icon is, I believe, the old symbol for marinas from before Navionics had AC info on their charts. In most cases there is a new AC symbol that supersedes the olds ones.

Are you using Navionics on a laptop, tablet, or phone? On my tablet and phone I can tap the screen to get the cross hairs up, center those cross hairs on the symbols on the chart, and an info box pops up giving details of what the symbol represents.
Thanx for the info. I am using a laptop and hadnt been using the Navionics map. After having tried the latter, I still much prefer the AC version.

Tags
navionics