Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 20:47   #1

SkyScreens on a '95 Catalina 36 MKII

I have a 1995 Catalina 36 Mk II, and I'd like to install OceanAir SkyScreens.

We are live-aboards, and wish to keep the light out for when we sleep. In addition, we'd like to be able to keep the boat open during the summer months without worrying about mosquitoes.

I am concerned about the lack of planar surface surrounding the hatches. Has anyone installed these things before? Does anyone have a better plan?

Thanks,
Harrison
kungfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:27   #2

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
Re: SkyScreens on a '95 Catalina 36 MKII

Hi, we have a Westerly Falcon 34 and are based in Sardinia, Italy. We installed OceanAir SkyScreens on our two main hatches. They were easy to install and have proved an excellent investment. Glad to have made life easy for ourselves. We also have a second washboard - wooden framed with a stainless steel mesh to keep out mosquitoes which also lets light and air through the boat. For our smaller opening hatches, I have used a cheap and cheerful technique - Velcro attached around the frame over which I stick pieces of an open weave fabric like netting - quick and easy to put up and take down. It works well for us.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DiDiWhiteSatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 17:27   #3

Re: SkyScreens on a '95 Catalina 36 MKII

DiDiWhiteSatin,

Thanks for the followup. We were worried specifically about the amount of space surrounding the hatch that we have at our disposal. We have 2.25 inches at the most narrow point around the forward hatch before we hit a bulkhead. The salon hatch has an abrupt change in the angle of the ceiling (20 degrees or so) roughly 2 inches from the edge of the hatch.

I sent the specs off to oceanair, and they indicated that the old line requires ~2.125 inches, and the new line requires 1.6 inches. I'll be placing an order for skyscreens soon, and will eagerly await their arrival.

In response to your other point, I'm planning on shamelessly copying you. Thanks for the info!

-Harrison
kungfoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 36, screen