Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2018, 10:00   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 41 Classic
Advice on cutlass bearing sliding into shaft log

Hello guys, I just had a pre-purchase survey done on a 1988 Morgan Classic, and the only larger, need to do sooner rather than later type issue found was a weird situation with the cutlass bearing and the rudder shaft bearings.

Im lumping these together because I understand that on this boat, the rudder must be dropped to replace the cutlass anyway, so might as well all be one job.

The situation is the cutlass bearing was replaced in 2015, but during haul out we noted that the set screws were missing and the cutlass had worked its way about 3/4" into the shaft log (no strut on this boat). A secondary unrelated situation is the rudder bushings are old and crappy causing a heavy resistance in the steering.

The question is this: The broker says, neither of these situations are a huge deal, if you dont mind the heavy steering, run the boat, be happy.

And the surveyor warned that the cutlass could continue to work its way into the log and eventually be way up in there causing all kinds of secondary problems.

How realistic is it for that bearing to keep working its way up the log, eventually being a royal pain to remove, and not properly supporting the shaft?

Is this a common situation where the bearing moves up a bit and then sits happy where its at? Or does this need to be addressed now?

Yard is quoting around 2,000 to do the job.

Thanks for your input.
Jhardgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 08:42   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Advice on cutlass bearing sliding into shaft log

Negotiate with the seller and have the yard do the work. These kind of issues are common and usually the seller agrees to pay or at least give you a credit against the sales price. If nothing else, having the work done correctly will give you peace of mind.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:19   #3

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I agree, I would not let it go.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:56   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Seller should split the repair cost with you.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:01   #5

I think $2000 is optimistic the way things go. Offer $5k less for your risk and trouble. One wonders how worn out bushings would make a rudder turn harder? I wonder if there is more going on, like a bent rudder shaft? If that's the case, it could be $10k to repair. Or maybe it's not the rudder at allbut in the steering cables and sheaves etc?
Is anyone sure the cutlass is moving? Or is it just a strange length one installed? At any rte, it needs set screws.
Maybe it's better to have both fixed properly and let the seller foot the bill... no risk to you that way.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 18:06   #6

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

The seller knows its WRONG . He should not sell you a problem. Should be hauled out fixed and than make your offer or condition opf him do haul out and fix. Or you both eat half the cost .
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan