Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 05:49   #1

Your ideal Bahamas powerboat and mine?

I keep going back and forth on different types of powerboats and really need your experience. What I want to know is (1) what your ideal boat would be for the Bahamas and (2) what boat fits my criteria.

1. Good fuel economy
2. Cruise above 10knots with top speed around ~20 knots
3. Very Rugged/seaworthy - As I plan to explore more remote parts of the Bahamas
3. Comfortable for 2 people
4. Enough water and fuel capacity to explore outer Bahama islands
5. 30-40ft boat in the 50-65k range.

Really appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!
DannyArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Your ideal Bahamas powerboat and mine?

1 and 2 are opposites, you can't have both, pick one.
Then 5 makes it real tough too, cause 2, both of your 3's and 4 would I think push you out of the price range
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:51   #3

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I am seeing a few Mainship 30's in your price range. That looks like the best option so far.

Now outside of your price range they get much nicer as they get larger. Mainship 34 for example.

You could pick any Mainship on the east coast of the US. Jump on the ICW and head south from Virginia (Deltaville) to Florida then onto the Bahamas. I used Deltaville Va. since there is a Mainship for sale there.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:12   #4

I recognize everything is a compromise. I just wanted to give everyone an idea of what attributes are important to me.
DannyArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:34   #5

Stick with a slow trawler. Try to get one with a rebuilt diesel. The good ole single ford Lehman was a great engine.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:37   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I understand, however the fuel consumption goes up tremendously as soon as you approach hull speed. We will use my IP 38 for example, she is 41' long, but has a waterline length of 33' which gives her I believe a hull speed of 7.3 kts.
Her fuel burn at 7 kts is about double what it is at 6.5 kts, because I'm all over hull speed at 7 kts. Now I am a displacement hull of course so in reality there just is no real comparison, it's like comparing a Prius to a Ford F250 or something, but bear with me.
To use a ridiculous example, I met a nice couple in a 65' Viking Soprt Fisherman in the Dry Tortugas this year, their cruise speed was I think about 25 kts or something, so they were going 4 times as fast as I do, however their fuel burn was 120 GPH, so they burned 120 times as much fuel to go four times as fast. Now that is not apples to apples of course as they are at least twice as big a boat, but planing speeds cost horrendous amounts of fuel.
So then the idea is well, just slow down to less than hull speed, right? Two problems with that, then your likely mostly idling your big Diesels, and your boat is not really designed to operate at those speeds and your steering is less responsive, and honestly it will drive you nuts. Its like driving your car at 20 mph, you can't stand it, you want to go cause you can.

Now when we would go out fishing in our 36' Sportfisherman years ago we would go out to the middle grounds from the Panhandle and would take two or three 60 gl barrels of fuel on the swim platform to have enough fuel for the weekend, cause go fast boats go through so much fuel when going fast that they do not have much range, want more range means ferry tanks or barrels or something.
Go fast boats don't usually have big water tanks either, but you can fix that with a watermaker, but that adds at least 10% to what you want to pay for a boat.

Please don't take this as an insult as none is intended, but if you can only afford to spend 50K on a go fast boat, you can't afford to take it to the Bahamas. Years ago it was nothing to go through $1,000 in fuel for a weekend's fishing, but distances are likely the same as going to the Bahamas.

Now accept that 7 kts or so is an acceptable cruise and look for a nice Trawler, and burn maybe 1/10 the fuel and gain lots of space that is not occupied with two huge Diesels, you have only one smaller one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:59   #7

+1. Completely agree with above.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:12   #8

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

As mentioned above, in that price range, it is going to be hard to find a safe (gulf stream), reliable (remote areas), fast with long range (tankage vs. fuel consumption) power boat. Not alot on that list to compromise except for speed and budget.

Miracles do happen on occasion though, keep looking and good luck!

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:13   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyArcher View Post
3. Very Rugged/seaworthy - As I plan to explore more remote parts of the Bahamas
3. Comfortable for 2 people
4. Enough water and fuel capacity to explore outer Bahama islands

Think I'd take #1, 2, and 5 off the table at first... and just look at boats.

Every time you see a feature (on a boat) that you think you need, make a note. Features that you'd also like to have, make a note. Eventually you end up with lists of gotta-haves and want-to-haves. Home in your search on boats that meet the gotta-haves and many/some of the want-to-haves.

Then you can compare additional factors like speed, fuel, cost, fuel, etc.

Keep in mind that some features can be fixed after-the-fact. You can add stuff like electric windlasses, swim platforms, ACs (slightly harder, unless ducting is in place), water makers, etc.

-Chris
Old 08-03-2017, 08:35   #10

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

It will not be boating unless you are always worried about fuel....just semi-kidding.

Fuel economy has to be high on your list.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:41   #11

To give some comparison.
My 25' wellcraft with a 350v8 gets about 2 nautical miles per gallon at cruise speed of about 25 knots. Now I can get places fairly quick but at a cost on a fairly small boat.
A slow single engine trawler About 30-35ft can get around 1 or 1.5 gallons an hour at cruise of around 5 or 6 knots. That's around 3-4 times better fuel economy. Going fast comes with a coat as people have mentioned.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:00   #12

Boat: Vista 43

In my marina in Stuart there is a 40' 1998 Mainship Sedan Flybridge with twin yanmar 315hp engines for $62500. It is a really nice boat and would make a great Bahamas cruiser. Plenty of room for two, but would be tight with any more.

I cruised three months last summer in the Bahamas on my 43' motor yacht with Cat 3208's. average speed was 8.2 miles per hour. A couple times we went 11 or 12 mph, but I never got it up on plane. We went 1100 miles and burned over 1000 gallons. That includes about 700 hours on the 8kw kohler generator. it wasn't cheap but it sure was fun.

We also have 1.2 kw solar array and a 30 gph water maker from cruise RO that was invaluable. Showered and used the washer/dryer at will (happy wife, happy cruise). All the comforts of home. We are going back this summer.
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:10   #13

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

Safety crossing the Gulf Stream is imperative. I have a 36 foot Albin trawler and have been reluctant to cross in it. Did so in a 43 foot Irwin ketch and learned what you can run into even if the weather window is predicted good. Not that reliable.

So, my question: is a 36 ft Albin trawler safe to cross to Bahamas? I know I could hike across at 15 knots from Lake Worth to Memory Rock, but from my experience, that is still not the answer. I want to know how this boat will handle in unexpected Gulf Stream waves or in situations like going through the Whale inlet in the Abacos.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:37   #14

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Shallow draft with a full keel, protected prop and rudder hung on the end of the keel. AIR CONDITIONED if you are going to be here in the summer. Fly bridge and or tower. Swimstep for fish cleaning and dinghy docking. A GOOD DINGHY. Ample water or a water maker. Good fuel capacity with good filters. Spares and manuals for everything. All chain main rode. Stern rode. Spare anchors. Common sense and a Proper attitude!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:52   #15

Boat: Lots of boats.

I realize this is a powerboat thread, but your requirements for a boat were close to my own. Exactly why I bought a MacGregor 26 sailboat. Basically a small motor-sailor.

1. Good fuel economy - 3 GPH at around 15 MPH with a 115 outboard.
2. Cruise above 10knots with top speed around ~20 knots - YES
3. Very Rugged/seaworthy - As I plan to explore more remote parts of the Bahamas - Not considered a blue water boat by any stretch, but my boat was previously used for offshore fishing (around 30 miles) and lots of people take them to the Bahamas because of the 1 foot draft. Can drive them right onto the beach. Boat gets squirrely in high winds and big seas. Should wait for good weather windows, but does have positive floatation.
3. Comfortable for 2 people - YES - enclosed head, galley, can sleep two couples for short periods of time. One couple much longer.
4. Enough water and fuel capacity to explore outer Bahama islands - I carry 60 gallons of fuel and 33 gallons of fresh water. Adequate short term.
5. 30-40ft boat in the 50-65k range.
26 feet is short of this goal, but I only paid $13K.

These boats aren't for everyone. But between the X and M models, they sold close to 12K boats. And they have hung onto their values pretty well considering the low initial cost. My boat was beefed up for bigger water, but is still a handful motoring at 15-20 MPH in open water on a windy rough day. Chop it can take, but the boat starts pounding when waves get over a couple of feet. The freeboard is high enough to avoid burying the bow into oncoming waves, but this also takes away from its sailing characteristics. But at least it has that option. I would much prefer to sail the boat than to motor and that would be impossible with a pure motorboat.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, boat