Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 12:27   #1

Boat: Island Packet 320
Send a message via Skype™ to Thomea
Living aboard in Montenegro~ Mediterranean

Hello all~ I hope this is the correct place to post this.

I am considering flying to Montenegro in October to live aboard.

Has anyone here had experience living and/or working aboard in that area of the world?
(Corfu, Italy, Sardinia, Malta, Tunisia, Greece, etc)

I'd love to get my STCW & USCG-6 certifications while I am there too.

I'd love to hear from you details or stories of your experiences in the Mediterranean (ie. Visa issues, best time of the year, best places for sailing certifications, best local restaurants, must-sees, etc)

It's time to officially pull the plug & live an un-tethered life.

~ Much Love
Old 12-08-2016, 13:12   #2
cruiser

Re: Living aboard in Montenegro~ Mediterranean

I'm writting this post anchored 200 meters off Porto Montenegro, Tivat, the most beautiful marina I've ever seen. 200 meters off our port side, the Saudi Prince has his 400ft new yacht moored next to his three smaller yachts, all named the Golden something or rather, just like the way George Foreman named all his kids George.

Summer has perfect weather, the winters are another issue. This bay supposedly receives more rain that anywhere else in Europe. You might want to consider moving down to Southern Sicily or Greece to winter.

We will spend at least a month in Montenegro during each of the next ten years, it's lovely here with very friendly people, most of whom speak English. The food is excellent and unbelievably inexpensive. The country is also outside the EU.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 13:19   #3

Boat: Island Packet 320
Send a message via Skype™ to Thomea

Wow Kenomac. Thank you.. It sounds magical. Are you a US citizen? I've read that you do and you dont need a Visa, so I dont know what is true. Especially if you're buying a one-way plane ticket. Thank you for the commentary . I'm jealous of your scenery.
Old 12-08-2016, 13:27   #4
cruiser

You can probably find the information using google. I'm a US and Canadian citizen, who will be using my time in Croatia and Montenegro for time outside of Schengen. If you move around or obtain dual citizenship, it's not difficult to stay in the EU indefinitely. Or, in a year or so, you can simply ask most of the UK citizens how they plan on doing it. ;-)
Old 12-08-2016, 23:58   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We sailed Montenegro a couple of years ago and it was beautiful. But to spend the winter there --- well it may be a long winter. And you really need to do some searches on this board about Schengen and the limitations that you will have. We spent 2 winters in Hammamet Tunisia and one winter in Kusadasi Turkey and hope to spend this winter there as well.

All the places you mentioned except Tunisia are in Schengen.

If you do not have a captains license you may have trouble in Montenegro. We had our ASA certification and it was barely enough as the Port Capt's assistant had a sour look on her face when she took it and the Port Capt even more so until he found we did a 2 person crossing of the Atlantic and then there were no issues. They were the first country that required us to show certification.

So do some research on Schengen and winter weather - research pays dividends.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 00:09   #6
cruiser

Or you can apply for citizenship in a country like Greece where I've heard one may only need to open a bank account with a minimum balance. Then no Schengen issues. It's worth looking into.

Montenegro, Croatia and Albania are outside of Schengen.

Or just winter down in Greece or Sicily for three months, then back up to Montenegro, an easy work around.

BTW: Good morning from Tivat, Montenegro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	129455  
Old 13-08-2016, 00:58   #7
cruiser

One more suggestion.

I'm not sure if you meet the maximum age and striking good looks requirements, but there certainly is no shortage of super and mega yachts moored here in Tivat where you can find a job if qualified. There are literally hundreds of them in the area.
Old 13-08-2016, 12:39   #8

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Or you can apply for citizenship in a country like Greece where I've heard one may only need to open a bank account with a minimum balance. Then no Schengen issues. It's worth looking into.
You can not "apply for citizenship" having a bank account in Greece. It will require a bit more than that. Like, marriage to a Greek, 5 years of residence etc. You can apply for residence permit thouh, but it is not as simple as having a bank account with minimal balance.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 14:55   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
You can not "apply for citizenship" having a bank account in Greece. It will require a bit more than that. Like, marriage to a Greek, 5 years of residence etc. You can apply for residence permit thouh, but it is not as simple as having a bank account with minimal balance.
I meant to apply for residency.
Old 13-08-2016, 15:58   #10

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Lowest temp in Catania was 12℃ in march

Southern sicily is Warmer, as Malta is
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 03:39   #11

We live in Montenegro more than 6 years.
Started from liveaboard etc.
There is a way to arrange a longer stay.
There are some jobs in Porto for sure too.
I might find some time to write more later on but that whould be easier to find that all at the expat.com or ask an exact questions ;0)
eddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 03:43   #12
cruiser

Eddi,

Are you close by? We are anchored just off Tivat near the mega yachts.

Ken
Old 14-08-2016, 05:49   #13

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I feel like the many Address Montenegro as a way to exit the EU waters every 18months for avoiding VAT duties if with a non-EU flag.

In terms of a US citizen flying around Europe, my sentiment is that many countries are tolerant and don't check. My Aussie friend sailed from Turkey last October, spent winter in Sicily (no check-in, just marina application) and flied around Schenghen countries with no problems, in July.

You can still catch him out there in Sicily, and offer him a gallon of beer ... he'll drink it up

PS I don't know if there are problems when back to the US...:-)

Ah,.. Montenegro wintertime is good for wolves and bears.... I would address a lady to either Cannes or Malta, Palma as 3rd one, in winter
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 06:22   #14

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Open a business bank account in some East EU countries and you can get residency through the bank. I was surprised when offered it. Didnt realise how easy it was.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 06:34   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Or, in a year or so, you can simply ask most of the UK citizens how they plan on doing it. ;-)
Lord, that's going to be fun.......

It all seemed terribly easy when SWMBO and I discussed our retirement cruising plans. Buy a yacht. Export it so there's no VAT to pay. Sail to Turkey and then hop between Albania, Turkey, and Montenegro, possibly overwintering in Hurghada or Tunisia as the mooring rates are so cheap, spending no more than a month at a time in EU waters.

Egypt now off limits....... Ditto most of the North African coast. Turkey shoots down a Russian plane then there's a failed coup. UK votes to leave EU.

So now, stay outside EU till UK is out then the boat can spend 18 months at a time in. The boat can - but that's because the UK is outside the customs union. Possibly. But what about Schengen? Although the boat can be in the person will be out and therefore needs a visa to come in.

This is starting to sound like the rules of cricket

Tags
living aboard, mediterranean