Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 12:03   #1

Puerto Rico to Galveston -Mid May trip

Howdy folks,

I am sailing my HC'33 from Fajardo PR. to Galveston and I want it to get your opinions on what the best way to get to Galveston would be.

I am not trying to break speed records or anything like that and myself and my crew would like to be able to make stops along the way.
It looks like it will be pretty much a down wind run with the current for most of the trip. (am I wrong?)

We have talked about sailing towards Islas Mujeres as our last stop before doing the jump across the Gulf. Other folks have advised to sail to the Keys and do the crossing from there.

Out train of thought has been to leave Fajardo stopping one night in San Juan then heading towards the east side of Dominican Republic (stopping there for a night or two) then heading to Caicos (just because it is so beautiful) from Caicos making our way towards Cayman Islands stopping there as well before cruising towards Islas Mujeres.
OR
Going the western way thru DR, Jamaica (stopping there as well although don't feel too comfortable doing that) Cayman Islands, Islas Mujeres, Galveston!!

Is the crossing from the Keys faster then crossing from Islas Mujeres?

Would love to know what you all think and if you guy have any pointers or advice I would love to hear it!!

Thank you in advance

Andy
andyv94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 16:49   #2

Re: Puerto Rico to Galveston -Mid May trip

Can anybody help me out please!
Old 14-04-2014, 11:53   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyv94 View Post
Howdy folks,

I am sailing my HC'33 from Fajardo PR. to Galveston and I want it to get your opinions on what the best way to get to Galveston would be.
I can speak to some of this,

I sailed from Fajardo, to San Juan, where I spent a week. I then sailed to Arecibo, checked out the observatory then anchored off Aguadilla, took the Dingy in for provisions, bad Idea, heavy surf. There is a sheltered pier for fishermen so watch for it.

The east coast of DR has no bays, when I went through there in early March, the surf was breaking heavily on the beaches, so If you travel the north coast be prepared for two or three days sailing to at least Puerto Plata for a good place to stop.

After that I headed north to Great Inagua.

I Flew in to Grand Cayman, and drove out to the east side, I would stay well clear of this coast at night as the reef goes far out from shore, there's a monument to a Ten Sails, sail boat that foundered on the reef there.
http://www.cactus.org/~tbodine/Cayma...nSailsView.JPG

Good luck.
Old 14-04-2014, 12:13   #4

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner

This last Dec/Jan I sailed from Turks & Caicos through the Windward Passage, stopped at 2 Jamaican ports (Pt. Antonio and Montenegro Bay on the N coast), then at Gran Cayman, and Puerto Morelos, MX. People we talked to in Puerto Morelos cautioned against going straight to Texas from their, indicating that the Gulf can be quite treacherous weatherwise. I have no direct experience of it however. I went south from there to Rio Dulce. I may need to revisit this issue next year however so I will be interested in any further replies you get.
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 12:14   #5

Thank you Captain!!

It seems that the western route thru the west coast of DR, J and Cayman Island might be the best route to go!

Does anybody know how safe Jamaica is and where the best place to r&r for a night or two?
Old 14-04-2014, 12:59   #6

Yes during the winter time the Gulf can get very treacherous but I think May and June is more "pleasant"
Old 14-04-2014, 13:07   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Hi, Andy.

The loop current in the Gulf can be a blessing or a curse, depending on how you head into it. Here's a really good graphical forecast tool from NOAA...

Ocean Prediction Center - Product Loops

You can get some interesting swirls and eddys in the western part of the Gulf, as well. The current patterns will change as the seasons progress, so you need to get an up-to-date forecast prior to departure.
Old 16-06-2014, 08:19   #8

I am thinking of taking my boat to Puerto Rico, how is it?
cntrycuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 08:31   #9

Well, the sailing on the east coast is great because there are tons of islands near by that you can sail to. The USVI are about 60 miles and the BVI are about 10-15 miles from the Americans
Folks in PR are a bit flaky so gotta watch out for that

If you have any specific questions let me know
Old 17-06-2014, 10:21   #10

How long was your boat in the Puerto Rico area? Which way did you return to Tx? I am planning to fly to PR in a few weeks to check out to area. Any info would help....email me.... cntrycuz@gmail.com. Thanks
cntrycuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 15:54   #11

Andy
Did you make this trip and what passage did you end up doing?
-RS
rswanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Puerto Rico