Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2010, 09:30   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Glad to hear tou're getting there Dragon Lady. Don't worry, there are a couple of other Catalac 9m's in Europe that i've been sent details on, i'd love to buy one and send him a photo of me on it!
Simon.... if your future was planned around pottering about the Med... day trips and the occasional overnighter say from Minorca to Sicily etc I'd say go for it.... but anything other than that... stay clear.
They are not 'passage makers'.... believe me.
If your going down the Cat route you need higher freeboard between the hulls... the slamming drives you crazy... and thats just in 2ft seas frwd the beam...
Also.. the saloon only has 4ft 6in headroom...
As Anjou says... they were great back then... but there's better out there.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 11:44   #17

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
It's a bit scary the amount of boats around that need more work than they are worth and owners who can't see the reality.
I would definitely send him a pic of you on your new boat, he who laughs last and all that.
As for 4ft 6" headroom, my chiropractor is a great guy but I don't want have to go to him every day.
You really want room to move on a boat even if it's a day sailor like my Etchells which has heaps of head room lol.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 20:11   #18

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Yes, i've read about the low bridgedeck, etc. on these and most other boats of the same era, Dean, Prout, etc, seem to be the same but at the end of the day, this one was advertised for sale at £15k!! Ok, I know that it probably needs some work (it mentioned some GRP damage to the bow from the anchor for example) but a solid little cat for less than £20k all in? can't be bad! It's worth noteing that the 4ft6 headroom is only in the upper part of the saloon where you sit down anyway. The actual main areas, such as galley, chart table/storage, cabins, head, etc, all have full standing headroom. Now, if you're the kind of person that wants to eat and watch TV standing up, this could be a problem, otherwise, just remember to duck when comming up from the galley!
Old 25-12-2010, 08:56   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Yes, i've read about the low bridgedeck, etc. on these and most other boats of the same era, Dean, Prout, etc, seem to be the same but at the end of the day, this one was advertised for sale at £15k!! Ok, I know that it probably needs some work (it mentioned some GRP damage to the bow from the anchor for example) but a solid little cat for less than £20k all in? can't be bad! It's worth noteing that the 4ft6 headroom is only in the upper part of the saloon where you sit down anyway. The actual main areas, such as galley, chart table/storage, cabins, head, etc, all have full standing headroom. Now, if you're the kind of person that wants to eat and watch TV standing up, this could be a problem, otherwise, just remember to duck when comming up from the galley!

In that case poodle down to Almerimar... there's a Catalac 9 there for sale that I saw when we stopped to get the wave damage to my Catalac 9 delivery fixed on the way to Turkey... actually there were four altogether.. a couple of 10's and the others 9's.... 3 on the hard and one in the water... who knows they may all be buyable with an offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14072010.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	22227  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:18   #20

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49
Re: Buyer Beware: Dodgy Catalac 9m in Greece

Sounds like a scam to me. one of those "deposit on an escrow account and if you don't like it you get a refund" problem is some russian guy just took a picture of a boat from the web and is trying to sell it. Unless you can see a name and trace ownership just walk away. These guys always play the best defense is a good offense routine. The indignant , "how dare you question me"
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalac, Greece