Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 06:55   #1

West Coast FL Anchorages.

We plan to traverse Lake Okeechobee from the east, with plans to explore SW Fl in May. I've never taken our boat over there. I have accumulated alot of data on anchorages and read conflicting views on approaches and good holding.

The Fl Sea Grant website is really nice. But as I read an older edition (5th) of Claiborne Youngs "Cruising Guide to Western Fl", his remarks on some of the anchorages FL Sea Grant rates for good holding paint a very different picture.

I realize things change. However, my experience on anchorage suitability usualy shows anchorages getting worse, not better.

Is the Fl Sea Grant website a fairly accurate representation of conditions?

Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:32   #2

Re: west coast FL anchorages.

Get the Active Captain app. Great info.
FL Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:43   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

Or just use Active Captain on your PC.

Just take the reviews with a grain of salt. One man's "poor holding" might really mean "I don't know how to anchor my boat". One man's "too shallow" might mean "My boat has a six foot draft".
Old 02-04-2017, 07:47   #4

Correction... Active Captain info displayed via Garmin BlueChart app. Not sure if that info may be displayed directly from Active Captain app.
FL Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:22   #5

I'll study active Captain. The Fl sea grant site is really impressive. But is that data reliable-is it boaters who provide the data or desk jockeys who look at sheets of data? Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:06   #6

Boat: T33, Nexus dory

Both Florida Sea Grant and Young's data are somewhat dated. More than one repackage of the orginial University of Rhode Island research has occurred. That said the material can still be useful. The Boca Grande Bayou has bottom ownership issues and Marco's Coconut Island (anchorage) has washed away. You can date your material by those facts. Naples access has changed since the orginial survey. The original SW Florida data was spot on.

The Salty Southeast Cruisers net is online. This was started by Mr. Young. You can find much current info at Cruisers Net.
Tom-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:08   #7

I find this site helpful...Lists marinas, anchorages, bridges and much much more. Choice of chart backgrounds including NOAA and satellite vires

https://www.waterwayguide.com/explor...10&mode=marina
Old 02-04-2017, 09:40   #8

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttigar View Post
I'll study active Captain. The Fl sea grant site is really impressive. But is that data reliable-is it boaters who provide the data or desk jockeys who look at sheets of data? Bob
===

I second the motion for Active Captain. The anchorage information there is constantly being updated and you can develop a good consensus view of the pros and cons of any given spot. My home port is in SWFL and I think the cruising here is as good or better than anywhere else in Florida.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:24   #9

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Yes, West Coast FL and the ICW is shallower than the East Coast FL, don't count on more than 5' draft without issues. That said, the Gulf is usually calm so its easy to run offshore. Many great anchorages just off the ICW, or near deep channels in Ft Myers Beach, Cayo Costa, Charlotte Harbor, Sarasota Bay, Manatee River, Egmont, Clearwater. Lots of waterfront restaurants where you can tie up overnight if you arrived just before sunset, eat dinner and get their approval.

I have run the entire West Coast and never had any problems with anchor holding north of the Keys. Always used a Danforth since most of the West Coast from Naples to Clearwater is mud or sand. Once you hit Homosassa and Crystal River, there will be some marl and rock
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 16:34   #10

Boat: 2014 Lagoon 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Yes, West Coast FL and the ICW is shallower than the East Coast FL, don't count on more than 5' draft without issues. That said, the Gulf is usually calm so its easy to run offshore. Many great anchorages just off the ICW, or near deep channels in Ft Myers Beach, Cayo Costa, Charlotte Harbor, Sarasota Bay, Manatee River, Egmont, Clearwater. Lots of waterfront restaurants where you can tie up overnight if you arrived just before sunset, eat dinner and get their approval.

I have run the entire West Coast and never had any problems with anchor holding north of the Keys. Always used a Danforth since most of the West Coast from Naples to Clearwater is mud or sand. Once you hit Homosassa and Crystal River, there will be some marl and rock
could you name some of these restaurant's? looking for some between st pate and key west.
tjmoquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, west coast