Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2020, 10:22   #46

Re: Recommendations for ablative paint

My experience of Pettit Trinidad and Micron 66 (in the SF bay area_ is that performance is about the same for the first year. For the second year the Micron 66 is slightly better. But after that time the Trinidad essentially gave up - into the third year it required frequent and difficult cleaning. At the 3 year point the Micron 66 is still performing acceptably.

Also, after 20-30 years of use it cost me thousands to have the Trinidad removed, as it had built up into a thick layer, and was losing adhesion, with blisters forming under the bottom paint (not fibreglass blisters).

At the 3 year point, the Micron 66 has given an extra year of service, that's 50% more life, and will never build up.

I can see no reason to use a hard paint. I made the switch to ablative because Trinidad with Irgarol wasn't available for a while, but will not be going back (not that I could now, can't do hard paint over soft).
Old 20-01-2020, 06:27   #47

Boat: Lagoon 440

We had our 44’ cat done 9/18 still very good condition used sherwin williams sea guard
Aquapazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 08:10   #48

I live in St. Pete. The local boatyard did my Hunter with Seahawk Biocop TF. It's been a few months. So far very little growth or barnacles. The boat yard swears by it. They said the boats they do usually get about 4 years.
joe_bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 08:43   #49

Boat: 40 Ocean trawler "Crew's Inn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSail View Post
Hi, I've checked the posts and found some good discussions regarding SeaHawk Biocop TF and Micron 66. My boatyard here in Tampa Bay is recommending one of these for their standard bottom paint job: Pettit HRT, Blue Water AF45, or SeaHawk AF33. As these are lower cost paints per gallon than the two in prior posts, I would appreciate any thoughts on which of these three might be a good choice for a SW FL sailboat. Are the premium paints (e.g., Micron/Biocop) really worth the extra $? Thanks for your thoughts.
Used Interlux ACT for many years on a 40' trawler (10 kts) in connecticut river and long island sound for 6 month season. got several really clean bottom years - only repainted out of boredom. pressure washed each year by marina. i'd highly recommend it
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 09:13   #50

Anyone know what the military / navy uses? Or what does the big freighters and cruise ships use? Seems like they all have some experience...
stevenkorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 09:23   #51
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkorson View Post
Anyone know what the military / navy uses? Or what does the big freighters and cruise ships use? Seems like they all have some experience...
The U.S. Navy and commercial vessels worldwide for the most part use the same anti fouling products available to you and me.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 09:56   #52

Boat: Radford R415

Thought I would chime in as I am a few weeks away from having the bottom of my steel cruising boat painted. I would like to hear from owners of steel boats about their choice of bottom paints and finishing. I am cruising the west coast of Canada and Alaska. Thanks!
Johnknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 10:10   #53
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

For two year intervals I'm having good results with the water based Sea Hawk Monterey, and it is soooo nice to use and clean up.
Old 20-01-2020, 19:09   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSail View Post
Hi, I've checked the posts and found some good discussions regarding SeaHawk Biocop TF and Micron 66. My boatyard here in Tampa Bay is recommending one of these for their standard bottom paint job: Pettit HRT, Blue Water AF45, or SeaHawk AF33. As these are lower cost paints per gallon than the two in prior posts, I would appreciate any thoughts on which of these three might be a good choice for a SW FL sailboat. Are the premium paints (e.g., Micron/Biocop) really worth the extra $? Thanks for your thoughts.
I’ve been using Biocop for 3 years, I wouldn’t use anything else.
I hauled out recently in Fiji after 10 months in the Tropics the bottom paint was excellent.
No hard growth, just an easily removed scum layer.
gregfreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 08:52   #55

Boat: Freedom 38

I too have been happy with Seahawk Biocop in south Florida (gulf and keys). The company also has a tec support person who resides in FL, provides a wealth of information and answers his cell phone every time I call.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 08:58   #56
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
The company also has a tec support person who resides in FL, provides a wealth of information and answers his cell phone every time I call.
The company also has an executive team that went to prison for willfully conspiring to obstruct the Environmental Protection Agency by selling a known pesticide (tBt.) They lied to their customers and the federal government and continued to sell tin-based anti fouling paints here in the U.S. after those paints had been banned. That's who you are dealing with when you buy Seahawk products.
Old 24-01-2020, 09:06   #57

Boat: Freedom 38

That sounds really serious. Do you know how long ago it occurred. Is it documented anywhere? Is the company still under the same management?
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 09:10   #58
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That sounds really serious. Do you know how long ago it occurred. Is it documented anywhere? Is the company still under the same management?
2014. Yes, it is a family-owned operation. Top management remains unchanged, to my knowledge. In fact, I had a phone conversation last year with National Sales Manager Tommie Craft and when I brought this subject up, he essentially waved it off, claiming it was not an important issue.

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus...d-coating-case
Old 24-01-2020, 09:11   #59

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
https://www.paintsquare.com/news/?**...=view&id=12434
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 09:18   #60
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Good article. Better than the one I posted. Really depicts what kind of sleazy douchebags run the show over there.

Tags
men, paint