Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 15:23   #76

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Whats the best windvane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I wonder how many folks would say they have never had an AP fail at an inopportune moment?
True that APs fail. In my case many times - I am pretty good now at rebuilding my tiller drive with scavenged parts from previous failures and new motors. Cockpit autopilots - wheel and tiller - are notoriously unreliable. And of course they tend to fail in heavy going, when hand steering is an unattractive prospect.

My wind vane failure, right in the middle of the North Atlantic, was with my cantilevered trim tab (my construction, not the vane manufacturer's). A large quartering wave started a yaw, which resulted in an extreme trim tab angle, putting a sideways load on it and it snapped off. It was 1"x6"x6' ash, with the unsupported length of about 3-1/2'. Part of the problem was that the trim tab was larger than it should have been: my fault. It is rare for a factory-built vane to fail in use, other than by hitting flotsam.

Greg

CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 16:02   #77

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I hear about autopilots being "Overpowered" by heavy weather. I had an hydraulic autopilot used during some of the worst of conditions, and never once did it become unable to turn the rudder.

Of course these systems use power--and quite a lot of it in heavy weather--but power is a different issue to being unable to function in rough weather. A wind air foil generator will probably use most of its output running a hydraulic autopilot in bad weather. During rough conditions is the very time it MUST function, if the person on watch is not to become exhausted and unable to perform effectively any other duties in regards to sails or tackle.

Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 18:18   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Guy is selling the South Atlantic 440 on classifieds. Looks to have a decent amount of rust on all the stainless bits and some seem undersized. Sell on eBay for $1600.

Tags
wind, windvane