Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 14:18   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Problems/weaknesses Hunter 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Perhaps if you got out of your CF chair and walked the docks of cruising ports, you would see many double-ender, full keelers along with a few fin keel bars of soap.
More to the point, dinghy through the anchorages, not the marinas!

That's where you will see the more active cruising boats.

That's where we are at present, and we see a mix of older and newer designs... just as we always do. Folks successfully cruise in damn near anything that floats.

But of course, all the Hunters have the keels supported by multiple wraps of duct tape, just in case!

Jim
Old 12-01-2014, 14:23   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

But of course, all the Hunters have the keels supported by multiple wraps of duct tape, just in case!

Jim
Those owners are no fools and also wear both a belt and suspenders for their pants!

Genius!
Old 12-01-2014, 18:40   #18

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edemorelli View Post
why I should not.... buy a used Hunter 45.
If I recall, there is only about 6 different 45's. Which one? Legend or the newer CC model? They came with shoal draft, deep draft, wing keel, fin keel - whatever they found for a keel leaning up against the wall when the boat was built got duct taped on. And none of the above mentioned keel designs sail the same.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 19:12   #19

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Problems/weaknesses Hunter 45

For those saying Hunter "duct taped" their keels on, I have personally sailed a Hunter Legend 35 with the deep fin keel at a speed of about 4-5 knots directly into some kind of concrete piling in a channel. Stopped the boat dead in its tracks, the most eerie spine shivering crackling sound I've ever heard. I expected the boat to start taking on water. Went below, found some pieces of the floorboards chipped and a piece of wood from the companionway splintered off and broken. After this happened, we had the boat hauled out after that and not even a chip in the keel. Go figure. Must be good tape!

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 19:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
For those saying Hunter "duct taped" their keels on
DDabs - we just like to kid about it because it's a ...... well ....... a Hunter. I know they're stronger than hell. I own one

Just could never figure out why they kept strapping on a different keel for every day of the week on some of their boat models.
Old 12-01-2014, 21:15   #21

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I know I know. I find it hilarious all of the Hunter remarks. It's funny. I think that they once built some decent boats. One can argue for days about whether or not a Hunter can actually go offshore. The late founder of the company is a true visionary and proves people wrong beyond the grave on this very notion.

However, I'm currently in the market for a sailboat- and there's no way I'll end up with another Hunter haha!!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 23:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
One can argue for days about whether or not a Hunter can actually go offshore.
Yeah. Not totally familiar with the 45. But if it's a Legend they're all pretty much the same except for length and room I think. Big main, B&R rig with a small foretriangle, faster than hell on a reach, slightly underpowered when motoring in bigger seas.

They could've done a nicer job on fit and finish in some areas - like open up a locker and there's raw glass laminate in the walls instead of being nicely lined or finished. But overall a pretty dang stout boat with a well laid out floorplan in the cabin. Systems easy to get at and maintain. Nice big battery compartment. Decent tankage.

If you like the boat, buy it.
Old 13-01-2014, 02:21   #23

I have seen several of the larger Hunters in ports all over the world. Don't see any difference between them and any of the other production cruisers from France or Germany.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 08:30   #24

From a problem/weakness standpoint, asked by the OP, I can't really think of anything that's not a problem or weakness on any other boat. Things like the steering should be looked at. Ours has steel hair growing out of the cable and there's slack in it. But that can happen to any boat. If it's an older boat of 85-87 vintage the Legend has a bigger main and slightly different rig dimensions than the straight 45. Neither is really a weakness, just that the Legend is a little faster on a reach because of that big main.

As I mentioned before, they came with several different keels. I think the deep draft fin keel will probably yield the best sailing performance and is a little less tender than the shoal draft and wing keel. Despite what keel it has, I don't think they changed the ballast ratio in them. The shoal draft, obviously, will let you into shallower anchorages. But if it's a Legend shoal draft (wing keel) the keel is probably not going to have the bite to let you use the power in that big main much above 15 kts without reefing it down. I would consider that a weakness if the boat is configured that way.

You hear me keep mentioning that big main - that's a trademark of the Hunters. If you've seen the boat with the sails hoisted you'll see what I mean. With the B&R rig they move the mast step forward so it has a smaller foretriangle than most other boats in its class. And the spreaders are swept back at a pretty radical angle. The shrouds are non-continuous. So you can break one and the rig won't come down. For sailing on a reach that's a strongpoint. For beating to weather probably not so much because you'll wish it had a bigger jib.

There are no known issues with the Yanmar diesel and drive that any other boat wouldn't have with the same engine.

I believe the later Hunters with the center cockpit have that traveler arch on them, and they're lighter and don't carry as much sail as the older ones. The 85 to 87 or 88's are good solid boats. Can't vouch for the newer ones with the center cockpit. Not near as familiar with the newer ones as I am with the older ones because I can't afford a newer one so never looked them over that closely

Otherwise it's all the usual stuff with a boat - have a survey done on it and find out what it needs. That's all I can think of from a constructive standpoint to try and help answer the OP's question on it.
Old 13-01-2014, 09:10   #25

Best advice - search the CF site and a few others. Lots of discussions.

At least, see if you can charter one of a similar model and size. See how it fits.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 15:27   #26

Boat: Hunter 45 Legend

Depends on the year. I have had 2 Hunter 45 (still do) I love it. Great Ballast-to- displacement ratio. Very stiff rig. Goes to windward pretty well. ( mind you I have new sails). It's not an Oyster but great value for the features and SPACE. What year are you thinking of?
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 12:19   #27

Boat: Hunter Legend 45'

I just bought and closed escrow two weeks ago on a 1988 Hunter 45' Legend. It has the deep fin keel and aft cockpit, B&R rig. I have looked at a lot of boats over the last 18 months and she got the nod. I cruised for a couple of years on a Westsail 42' Yawl rig (pretty rare) back in the 1980s but haven't been on many boats since then until the recent couple of years. Needless to say, the Hunter's speed blew me away! She has legs! I went through a full marine survey and extended sea trial and was very impressed with how solid the boat was. Granted I don't have extended sailing time with her but I am very excited to take her cruising. I will be doing a 2 week trip in March with my kids in the Sea of Cortez then will head out full time on the boat in the fall for an undertermined period of time but most likely 10+ years. The previous owner of this boat is a sailmaker and a rigger and the boat is amazingly set up. He is a very knowledgeable captain and that boat was his choice for several years. That says a lot as far as I'm concerned. They sold the boat because his wife wants to got to a Cat. If you want to keep in contact as we both go through the "new to Hunters" phase, pm me and we can keep in touch.
Bret
paccrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 13:48   #28

Boat: Smokercraft Promag 172

I am one who sits and reads, I dont post much. What I been doing is making a chart, with all the boats I read about here that are 35-45 ft. As far as Hunters go I have read only one negative comment, I am sceptic that is true. And I read a lot about Hunters.
Dixie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 14:39   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Won't the keel fall and the rudder break of in seas greater than 3'? I'm joking of course, but they are the boat everyone loves to hate.

I'm buying a 356 myself
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 14:57   #30
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Most boats that have been taken care of have the ability to out survive their crew. Doesn’t matter what kind of boat it is. If you neglect and beat the crap out of any boat all of them will develop critical weaknesses.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter