Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2016, 18:07   #1

Boat: O41.1
Beneteau Oceanis 41.1

Following the extremely informative and detail-rich Beneteau 38 thread which has been running for over 2 years now, I'm opening an Oceanis 41.1 specific thread where current/future/past owners can share questions, information and experiences about this new addition to the Beneteau fleet.

I have recently put an order for delivery in late 2016 and would appreciate any insights and opinions from anyone willing to share on this forum.

Sailboats Oceanis 41.1 - Sailing Yacht Beneteau

Safe sailings,

Upspeed.
UPSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 12:13   #2

Boat: J/88
Re: Beneteau Oceanis 41.1

Congrats on the new boat, the 41.1 is my favourite new boat in the size range. I particularly love the storage area on the two cabin boat and the way the dodger integrates into the arch. Do you know if the dodger can be folded down to lay flat on the deck?

The review of the boat says she is fast and stable so it appears there are not too many items on my wish list that aren't here. I went from a 375 Legend down to my current 290 and want to go back up in size to something in the 40' range but a new boat is out of reach for the time being.

Keep us posted so we can live vicariously.

Dan
Old 16-07-2016, 20:06   #3

Boat: O41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Congrats on the new boat, the 41.1 is my favourite new boat in the size range. I particularly love the storage area on the two cabin boat and the way the dodger integrates into the arch. Do you know if the dodger can be folded down to lay flat on the deck?

The review of the boat says she is fast and stable so it appears there are not too many items on my wish list that aren't here. I went from a 375 Legend down to my current 290 and want to go back up in size to something in the 40' range but a new boat is out of reach for the time being.

Keep us posted so we can live vicariously.

Dan
Hi Dan,

Thanks! It's a beautiful boat indeed and I had been struggling to decide between the O38 and the 41.1. At the end the cruising capabilities, extra interior space, and cost/benefit were strong determining factors.

I've opted for the 2 cabin version with the huge storage space/lazarette on the port side. Definitely the way to go if you're planning on longer liveaboard and, as it is in our case, are in only two people. The forward master cabin would only be used while at anchor or docked, and the aft starboard while under way as a sea berth (I'll be dividing it with a lee cloth for rougher passages).

I'm not sure about the dodger, but will be asking the dealer when I stop for s visit in a few weeks and will definitely let you know.

As for the rest of the specs, I'm modifying the rigging and adding a releasable inner forestay for hoisting a stormsail/staysail and currently considering also adding dedicated tracks to the mast for a trysail, thus converting the boat to a "slutter" for heavy weather sailing. No bow thruster or electrical winches, deep keel, standard slab reefing main (with a deep third reef also for heavy weather) with a lazy jack. Central webasto heating for northern european winter and no genset/aircon for now. As for electronics, I'm ordering the standard items with the additional "luxury" of a forward scanning sounder.

The electrical system is something I'm currently scratching me head with and for now will be adding two 2 additional 85Ah service gel service batteries, doubling my house bank to 4 in total and 340Ah. I know it's still not a lot, but with the stock 125Ah alternator and 60A battery charger I'm afraid I cannot go much beyond that (unless willing to respec the charger and alternator). This is the current electrical system I have:

- 12 V Electrical Circuit
- 220V System with 60A Battery Charger
- 1 110Ah Engine Start Battery
- 4 85Ah Gel Service Batteries (340Ah Battery Bank)
- 1 12V/125Ah Alternator

For spending most of the time docked with shore power this would more more than enough, however I do plan to spend some time anchored on the hook as well (normally no more than 2-4 days at the time). My goal is to ensure I have enough power available for this purpose as well and we're able to run our DC system with it's components (lights, navlights, radios, electronics, refrigeration) as well as some basic AC components (charging phones, laptops, a low Wattage coffee machine and as well and a low Wattage hair drier once in a while). We'll not have any TV's, home theater, microwave, big electric tools, toaster or other big AC power consuming items.

I'm no electrical engineer, but this is my view about the limitations of the above electrical system.

1. Alternator

The charging acceptance rate of most Gel batteries runs at about 30%, so for my current battery bank of 340Ah I believe that the Beneteau provided 125Ah stock alternator should do just fine (minimum of 102Ah needed). However, if I choose to add extra 85Ah batteries to increase my capacity, my concern is that this alternator (that probably has an output even less than 125Ah if it's internally regulated) wouldn't be enough. I just want to make sure that whatever battery bank size I have doesn't exceed my alternator charging capability. I have seen to many boats with the output of available charging sources disproportionally small in compared to their house banks and of course want to avoid making the same mistake.

2. Battery Charger

The stock 60A charger seems ok for the above 340Ah battery bank, however like the alternator, I don't see it as enough for a larger bank. I normally divide the full bank capacity by 5 to get a minimum charger size (which would actually be 68A in this case). I also want to minimize charging time as much as possible. With this 60A charger it would take me about 3 hours to fully charge my 50% depleted house bank (minimum I would ever want go).

So as I see it, because the charger and alternator have already been specified first, that limits my battery choices. Of course, I could possible add another charger if the stock provided one is stackable or select an inverter/charger big enough for a larger battery bank. :banged:

Any suggestions?
UPSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 23:05   #4

Boat: Beneteau 41.1

My Experience of Buying a New Beneteau Oceanis 41.1

I first inquired about buying a new Beneteau Oceanis in August 2015. Unsure of what I was looking for in specification, I looked into a few quotations. I was going to the Southampton Boat Show to look at other boats and what other options were available. Two days before the end of August, I received a number of frantic phone calls from B.J. Marine insisting that if I paid a deposit before the end of the month, I would be entitled to “an extra special boat show discount ”(that no-one else would receive). I was told I would be reimbursed with my deposit at any given time. Not thinking clearly, I paid the deposit almost immediately on the grounds that it could be refunded. On reflection, a week later, talking to other parties, they kept asking what have I to pay the deposit for? What price? and with what specification? So I asked for my money back and was denied it. I was told I had to go to the Southampton Boat Show and ask the directors of Beneteau personally, for my money back, as Mr Bernard Gallagher (BJ Marine) could not give it back to me. I went to the Southampton boat show discussed a specification and price, I was then told about the new boat 41.1 and agreed specification and a price was agreed upon. I specifically asked twice “What if the price difference on the new boat go’s up or down? Whether it’s more or less expensive.” I was reassured by Mr. Gallagher, “Don’t worry, if that happens we’ll sort it out”. But that wont happen!

To my amazement, when the new boat was announced, the price had dropped by 20,000. I asked for the price difference and was told ‘no, you don’t get any money back’.
I then had to seek legal advice, imply a lawsuit and demand my deposit back. After contacting Ancasta Yachts, who were extremely helpful and passed me onto Jean-Francois Lair from Beneteau Yachts. After emailing and having a telephone conversation with him, B.J. Marine offered me some ‘free extras’ as a sweetener on the deal. However, B. J. Marine were still better off on deal. Not happy I agreed to visit the Paris Boat Show at my own cost in order to view the new boat and meet Jean-Francois. Unfortunately, he was unable to attend the show. I contacted him by phone and explained to him that I liked the new boat, despite the difference in quality where savings had been made he would do something for me and would speak to Mr Gallagher. On my arrival home, I spoke to B.J Marine (Mr. Gallagher) and voiced my concerns and was told “That’s the price”. If you don’t want the boat delivered to Ireland, there’s a saving of 2000 pounds”. I agreed for it to delivered to the South of France.
I was asked for the final balance to be paid in full at the end of March as the boat was ready to leave the factory. He still charged me an extra 2000 pounds for the delivery to Ireland, and argued continually with me that, that was the price, and “the boat won’t leave the factory until you’ve paid for it”. After numerous emails and copies of the copious specification (see attached), I reluctantly paid in full.

I was given a date to collect the boat from, Perpignan. I booked flights and hotel for four people to collect the boat. I was some weeks later told that the boat was still in the factory. I re-booked the flights and hotel at my cost for a further two-three weeks later. I was then later told again, that the boat was still in the factory! I rescheduled at my cost an additional further two weeks. We arrived in Perpignan at S.A.S Marine. There was no sign or word from Mr. Gallagher, who never once at any time tried to contact us. They eventually turned up and the boat still wasn’t ready again. Eventually, we went for a test sale and the electric winch broke. The fridge ice box was hanging loose, and wouldn’t close. I was told “Don’t worry, they’ll all be replaced”. There was no television aerial on the boat that was in the specification. He argued with me that it wasn’t included. After having to pay S.A.S Marine to fit it, and going over the boat and finding that the outboard bracket was missing, that was paid for. And sending him the specification of the agreed price, he returned me the invoice cost.
For the most expensive thing I’ve ever bought in my life, (the cost of this boat, I could have purchased several houses) this was the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. You would get better customer service at Tesco Not once did Mr. Gallagher ever phone me unless to return a call that first I had made to him. I phoned him weekly since I collected the boat about the broken fridge and winch. These are still not repaired. Mr. Gallagher is a very nice gentleman a business man, plausible man. However, his customer service skills and arraigns are atrocious. I felt as a customer, his only desired goal was for me to sign up for the boat, after which it was as though I didn’t exist. I would think again about doing business with him or recommending him again.
dick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 13:34   #5

Anyone actually sailing this boat on blue water?
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 08:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1 View Post
My Experience of Buying a New Beneteau Oceanis 41.1

I first inquired about buying a new Beneteau Oceanis in August 2015. Unsure of what I was looking for in specification, I looked into a few quotations. I was going to the Southampton Boat Show to look at other boats and what other options were available. Two days before the end of August, I received a number of frantic phone calls from B.J. Marine insisting that if I paid a deposit before the end of the month, I would be entitled to “an extra special boat show discount ”(that no-one else would receive). I was told I would be reimbursed with my deposit at any given time. Not thinking clearly, I paid the deposit almost immediately on the grounds that it could be refunded. On reflection, a week later, talking to other parties, they kept asking what have I to pay the deposit for? What price? and with what specification? So I asked for my money back and was denied it. I was told I had to go to the Southampton Boat Show and ask the directors of Beneteau personally, for my money back, as Mr Bernard Gallagher (BJ Marine) could not give it back to me. I went to the Southampton boat show discussed a specification and price, I was then told about the new boat 41.1 and agreed specification and a price was agreed upon. I specifically asked twice “What if the price difference on the new boat go’s up or down? Whether it’s more or less expensive.” I was reassured by Mr. Gallagher, “Don’t worry, if that happens we’ll sort it out”. But that wont happen!

To my amazement, when the new boat was announced, the price had dropped by 20,000. I asked for the price difference and was told ‘no, you don’t get any money back’.
I then had to seek legal advice, imply a lawsuit and demand my deposit back. After contacting Ancasta Yachts, who were extremely helpful and passed me onto Jean-Francois Lair from Beneteau Yachts. After emailing and having a telephone conversation with him, B.J. Marine offered me some ‘free extras’ as a sweetener on the deal. However, B. J. Marine were still better off on deal. Not happy I agreed to visit the Paris Boat Show at my own cost in order to view the new boat and meet Jean-Francois. Unfortunately, he was unable to attend the show. I contacted him by phone and explained to him that I liked the new boat, despite the difference in quality where savings had been made he would do something for me and would speak to Mr Gallagher. On my arrival home, I spoke to B.J Marine (Mr. Gallagher) and voiced my concerns and was told “That’s the price”. If you don’t want the boat delivered to Ireland, there’s a saving of 2000 pounds”. I agreed for it to delivered to the South of France.
I was asked for the final balance to be paid in full at the end of March as the boat was ready to leave the factory. He still charged me an extra 2000 pounds for the delivery to Ireland, and argued continually with me that, that was the price, and “the boat won’t leave the factory until you’ve paid for it”. After numerous emails and copies of the copious specification (see attached), I reluctantly paid in full.

I was given a date to collect the boat from, Perpignan. I booked flights and hotel for four people to collect the boat. I was some weeks later told that the boat was still in the factory. I re-booked the flights and hotel at my cost for a further two-three weeks later. I was then later told again, that the boat was still in the factory! I rescheduled at my cost an additional further two weeks. We arrived in Perpignan at S.A.S Marine. There was no sign or word from Mr. Gallagher, who never once at any time tried to contact us. They eventually turned up and the boat still wasn’t ready again. Eventually, we went for a test sale and the electric winch broke. The fridge ice box was hanging loose, and wouldn’t close. I was told “Don’t worry, they’ll all be replaced”. There was no television aerial on the boat that was in the specification. He argued with me that it wasn’t included. After having to pay S.A.S Marine to fit it, and going over the boat and finding that the outboard bracket was missing, that was paid for. And sending him the specification of the agreed price, he returned me the invoice cost.
For the most expensive thing I’ve ever bought in my life, (the cost of this boat, I could have purchased several houses) this was the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. You would get better customer service at Tesco Not once did Mr. Gallagher ever phone me unless to return a call that first I had made to him. I phoned him weekly since I collected the boat about the broken fridge and winch. These are still not repaired. Mr. Gallagher is a very nice gentleman a business man, plausible man. However, his customer service skills and arraigns are atrocious. I felt as a customer, his only desired goal was for me to sign up for the boat, after which it was as though I didn’t exist. I would think again about doing business with him or recommending him again.
Since buying this £19000 yacht he has never once contacted me 're problems BJ marine has the worst
Customer service I have ever encountered.
Old 16-12-2018, 13:09   #7

Since buying this £190000 yacht he has never once contacted me 're problems BJ marine has the worst
Customer service I have ever encountered
Old 20-10-2023, 04:10   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41.1

Hi Guys, I have a 2018 OC 41.1, I would like to install folding helm seats. Do you know where I can get them (the boat is in Croatia now and will be in Greece next summer)?
Yelkenci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis