Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 10:32   #1

Boat: Dreaming
Don't go fishing with your Son - if you have money!

Local News from Rhode Island- Mother and Son on fishing trip and boat was missing for 8 days. Son found alive and well on life raft. Son previously a suspect in killing of millionaire Grandfather. Something fishy in Rhode Island waters

Missing boater returned to shore; police search his home | WPRI 12 Eyewitness News
3DSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 11:09   #2

Re: Don't go fishing with your Son - if you have money!

It was mentioned somewhere that supposedly he has Asperger's. But now that you mentioned a killed grandfather may be the rich family used that diagnosis as a way out of prosecution. The millionaires are known for that sometimes. And now it bit them you know where.

I posted the news of his being found a few days ago but no one on CF seemed interested. Now as the plot thickens we may get some interest.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ff-173332.html
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 11:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Asperger's doesn't make you a killer or violent.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 11:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Agree. But this phrase form the description of the disease in the hands of a skillful defense attorney can work wonders for a defendant in a criminal trial.

"A lack of demonstrated empathy affects aspects of communal living for persons with Asperger syndrome".

Even if CG investigation proves that he was criminally liable for not rescuing his mother, who may have fallen overboard or was clinging to life and not pulled up by him into a liferaft or whatever, that phrase is his ticket out, given a well paid skillful attorney team.
Old 28-09-2016, 11:53   #5

Quote:
I've been so disgusted with the lack of education provided by news re Asperger syndrome. I worked with a man on the Asperger syndrome - first day we met was at the top of listening post on top of a mountain, he introduced himself mechanically like he was following a script, and gave a no nonsense introduction that he has difficultly reading social cues and please be frank and unsubtle about what I wanted from him.

These days in the press, Aspergers is used to describe folks with antisocial/personality disorders. Aspergers syndrome does not lead a person to violate rigid social mores - its the unwritten ones like taking the urinal next to you that's the hard part to figure out.
Old 28-09-2016, 12:04   #6

My post was not to disparage persons with Asperger or the disease itself (one of my best friends has a child with AS) but to bring up the fact that too often the wealthy families getaway with things for which any of us would be in prison. But in this situation, if such was the case and the son got out of responsibility for killing his grandfather with the help of the family's money, justice was done, albeit in a convoluted way.

If in fact he was innocent of his grandfather's murder and innocent of his mother's death than it is a great tragedy for him and his family.
Old 28-09-2016, 12:06   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You would be surprised at the list of Scientists and Artists that are thought to have Aspergers.
It is a recently "discovered" syndrome, but has been around forever.
My belief is among cruisers the number of people with Asperger's is much higher than in the general population, particularly when you get into the ones that single hand and or long distance travelers.
Old 28-09-2016, 12:13   #8

I am not surprised as I am familiar with AS through friends and others who have children or relatives with this diagnosis. BTW my understanding is that it was recently lumped in DSM with Autism Spectrum Disorder as its milder version. So yes I agree that it is not dangerous nor debilitating. And sometimes I think that those of us who are stuck with repeatedly doing boat related things and behavior, despite the evidence that it will ruin us financially, romantically, etc. are suffering from one form of it or another.
Old 28-09-2016, 12:16   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
My post was not to disparage persons with Asperger or the disease itself
I understand, just wanted to point out that there is no link for violence and Asperger's
Not so sure I would call it a Disease either, but since I don't know the actual definition of that word I can't comment

Usually if you find someone that you consider unusually intelligent, but just doesn't have any common sense and or doesn't really know how to handle themselves around people, likely you have found an Aspie.
They also as they grow up learn how to handle social occasions if needed, but they never seek them out, they don't like them.
They tend to handle small groups better and can deal with isolation better than average people, difficult to form friendships, but if they do, they value friendship more than an average person, if you have one as a friend and need them at 2 AM 200 miles away, they will come
Old 28-09-2016, 12:32   #10

Quote:
I understand, just wanted to point out that there is no link for violence and Asperger's
Not so sure I would call it a Disease either, but since I don't know the actual definition of that word I can't comment

Usually if you find someone that you consider unusually intelligent, but just doesn't have any common sense and or doesn't really know how to handle themselves around people, likely you have found an Aspie.
They also as they grow up learn how to handle social occasions if needed, but they never seek them out, they don't like them.
They tend to handle small groups better and can deal with isolation better than average people, difficult to form friendships, but if they do, they value friendship more than an average person, if you have one as a friend and need them at 2 AM 200 miles away, they will come
I guess it is called a syndrome as it is a collection of symptoms which can also be parts of other, overlapping, syndromes. And yes it was probably what the "funny scientists" or "mad professors" of the past had. My friend's son remembers all the telephone numbers and birth dates of all the people he ever came in contact since probably age 5 or 6 (the one who gave this info to him anyway) as well as can do complex multiplications/divisions in his head. Yet he does not understand many everyday common things and concepts which often gets him in trouble. Such as knocking on neighbors' doors and just asking them to let him in to take a tour of their houses. Doesn't mean to do any harm and the nearest neighbors, after talking to his parents are OK with it but the distant ones who don't know him usually call the cops.
Old 28-09-2016, 12:49   #11

Quote:
the fact that too often the wealthy families getaway with things for which any of us would be in prison.
The fact? Do you have any statistics about how often that is? I suspect you are merely reciting propaganda.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 12:52   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
[snip....] particularly when you get into the ones that single hand and or long distance travelers.
Hey, easy now
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 13:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
The fact? Do you have any statistics about how often that is? I suspect you are merely reciting propaganda.
What propaganda? Do you think that the median income and wealth of those in prisons accurately or even approximately reflect the income and wealth distribution in the country in general? Or that wealthy commit crimes in any lesser proportion than the poor? May be different crimes but still crimes. Or do you dispute that given the same crime the criminal with the most $$ for defense attorneys and "expert witnesses" will least likely be convicted and/or go to prison and/or receive a shorter sentence than his/her poorer counterpart?

Have you ever heard of a gent named John Hinckley? (Don't know if any relations to the nautical Hinckleys) The one who shot President Reagan in 1981. Not only was he not convicted but ended up in the comfortable hospital for all this time. And btw I believe he's been let out 3 weeks ago since he's deemed to be "cured" of whatever illness he allegedly had based on the experts and attorneys his very wealthy parents hired then and I guess are still utilizing. His father was a very successful oil man, very wealthy. Like tens of millions wealthy, in early 1980s dollars, may be even hundreds of millions.

Now tell me honestly would anyone with average income and/or wealth (never even mind lower income) who would've been using court appointed attorneys and experts in a case such as this would have gotten a result such as this? You know the answer and for you to demand "statistics" and to pretend that wealth doesn't matter when dealing with criminal justice system is not only disingenuous it is simply intellectually dishonest.
Old 29-09-2016, 09:20   #14

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

When the grandfather was found he had three pistols shot into him. Last person known to see him alive was the grandson. Hhmm! That meant his mother, along with her two other siblings, inherited over 20 million. Hhmm! Mom and son liked fishing, had done so on many occasions previously, boat sinks and mom not to be found. Hhmm! He admits that he had worked on the boat, article does not mention in what way, and that the boat just went down suddenly. Hhmm! He states that he called and whistled for his mother, no response! Hhmm! This was not a 300 foot vessel but a smallish boat. How could u even lose sight of your mother? Would not your mother's survival be more important or even as important as yours? Rhetorically speaking.

Maybe it is just me, or my time in the life, but I am pretty sure that most bosses I have met over the last 40 years fit the bill of having Asper. Syndrome...

Innocent until proven guilty. He was a suspect and investigated as such. No indictment followed. Now mama's gone, no witnesses, no body, and only motive to be hung on him. Good luck on that one D. A. If guilty, he is a heartless soul...and off to a cushy mental hospital. If not found guilty...and they already took his computers, phones, and whatnot...and me thinks there won't even be an indictment...he is a clever sob who out smarted everyone around him. Like the movie, "The Drop", the detective leans into Tom Hardy and whispers..."they never see you coming, do they Tom?" How many children have killed their parents for assets over the last 4K years? It is well known that in royal families it was a common practice to be stealthier and more cunning to capture the power...ie, it was dangerous to be the King or Queen. There really is no surprise if he did it. My only question is will he get away with it. I put my money on the bet ...he will succeed. Sad isn't it?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:23   #15

Quote:
What propaganda? Do you think that the median income and wealth of those in prisons accurately or even approximately reflect the income and wealth distribution in the country in general? Or that wealthy commit crimes in any lesser proportion than the poor? May be different crimes but still crimes. Or do you dispute that given the same crime the criminal with the most $$ for defense attorneys and "expert witnesses" will least likely be convicted and/or go to prison and/or receive a shorter sentence than his/her poorer counterpart?

Have you ever heard of a gent named John Hinckley? (Don't know if any relations to the nautical Hinckleys) The one who shot President Reagan in 1981. Not only was he not convicted but ended up in the comfortable hospital for all this time. And btw I believe he's been let out 3 weeks ago since he's deemed to be "cured" of whatever illness he allegedly had based on the experts and attorneys his very wealthy parents hired then and I guess are still utilizing. His father was a very successful oil man, very wealthy. Like tens of millions wealthy, in early 1980s dollars, may be even hundreds of millions.

Now tell me honestly would anyone with average income and/or wealth (never even mind lower income) who would've been using court appointed attorneys and experts in a case such as this would have gotten a result such as this? You know the answer and for you to demand "statistics" and to pretend that wealth doesn't matter when dealing with criminal justice system is not only disingenuous it is simply intellectually dishonest.

I would ease up on the Kool-Aid if I were you.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, money