Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 22-04-2008, 04:52   #16

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust View Post
What do you think of the Marples Fast Cruising 37? Somewhat similar to Chris White's Juniper but smaller. I actually like it better as it has the option of small wing extensions so you can get decent accommodations without having to go up to 50 feet like Juniper. It may be simpler to build than the CC35A...
Actually I like the lines of the 37 (sans wing deck extensions) slightly better than the 35A, but my heart would like something like the CC 32 so long as seaworthiness is not compromised… I generally like Chris White’s overall design philosophy; however, an issue I’ve yet to come to grips with is the multihull "size = seaworthiness" argument – why not an aircraft carrier; which at least rhetorically mimics traditional mono lore – a sentiment that I do not embrace in the mono world and am still trying to figure out whether it is really a factor, or just a comfort issue that can be designed around as it is in reality-sized monos… when I see size, I just see work...

I like the idea of the Scarab 9.0, although that is probably getting near the very bottom, dimensionally… I’m guessing load-carrying and actual accommodations not much more than a 20ft Flicka, if that; no hardship for me (I’m reading Serge Testa’s circumnavigation account and wondering about the excesses of what should be an enjoyably austere endeavor – but that's another issue…) however, a little harder to sell once the crew is more than just me… anyway, thanks for the Scarab lead…
Old 22-04-2008, 23:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
dcstrng
In multihulls size does matter. It is all about righting moment. At around 28-30 feet they develop enough so that some would consider them safe for offshore voyaging. It is hard to effectively design around this limitation because it's based on size for the most part. Many small multis have made significant passages. Some of them get by because they are conservatively rigged. Their less than stellar sailing performance keeps them from getting into to much trouble. But they still have limited righting moment. They could find themselves in serious trouble in extreme conditions. They are fine for coastal cruising and hopping over to the Bahamas and such but for serious water sailing">blue water sailing the bigger the better.

Maren
You may have misunderstood Roy when he mentioned the sub cockpit alleyway. I think this is the same 3 ft high by 2 ft wide passageway I have under the cockpit in my boat. There are a few interior shots of my boat in the photo gallery. They are scattered about several topics so just find one of my pics and click on the link to view all my photos.

Check out this website. Searunner_Trimarans
It has not been updated in a while but has many boats featured.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 04:43   #18

Quote:
It is all about righting moment. At around 28-30 feet they develop enough so that some would consider them safe for offshore voyaging...
Thanks; 30ft is no burden… from my recent re-acquaintance with multihull literature/design it’ll take at least that to equal the capacity (not to be confused with volume) of my little rascal anyway… but now that I’m a refugee from the geriatric ward, I probably need to learn the discipline of reefing more often – have had the deck in the water on boats large and small through abject exuberance/inattentiveness/stupidity…
Old 23-04-2008, 06:12   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
I like the idea of the Scarab 9.0, although that is probably getting near the very bottom, dimensionally… I’m guessing load-carrying and actual accommodations not much more than a 20ft Flicka, if that; no hardship for me (I’m reading Serge Testa’s circumnavigation account and wondering about the excesses of what should be an enjoyably austere endeavor – but that's another issue…) however, a little harder to sell once the crew is more than just me… anyway, thanks for the Scarab lead…
If by Scarab 9 you mean the kendrick avalon 9 then yep they aint massive inside but they are very liveable for me and Im 6ft3in. There is certainly more room in it than say a top hat 25 if you know that boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 12:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
If ... you mean the kendrick avalon 9...
Yep, sorta seemed like a nice combination of current esthetics with basic, less scary technology...
Old 24-04-2008, 07:48   #21

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
You may have misunderstood Roy when he mentioned the sub cockpit alleyway. I think this is the same 3 ft high by 2 ft wide passageway I have under the cockpit in my boat.
Well, you may be right. That is why I was requesting photos. Plus ... ideas.

Quote:
There are a few interior shots of my boat in the photo gallery. They are scattered about several topics so just find one of my pics and click on the link to view all my photos.

Check out this website. Searunner_Trimarans
It has not been updated in a while but has many boats featured.
Actually, I had already checked out yours, Roy M's and the above group before asking.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 08:38   #22

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Maren, Steve, et al,

Much as I'd like to send some pictures, now is not a good time. The sheer chaos and magnitude of the piles of tools, boat gear, books and other bulky things strewn about would be too embarrassing (and might call for investigation). All of this caused by too many simultaneous projects, each proceeding at their own pace. Still, I'm a little excited by how they are turning out. So, patience, please. My ego is too powerful to keep some of these things bottled up too long. Especially when things work well. More later (and I'll attempt to finish somethings and clear up some small areas for a photo op.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 17:20   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I understand Roy,
My sterncastle dinette is sort of tore apart and it has become the repository of all sorts of tools, wood, equipment, etc.

Maren
The crawl space is under the nav table in the picture.

Patrick, age 9
Old 24-04-2008, 18:13   #24

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran
Hello everybody,
Just happened on to this forum and REALLY felt I had to jump in. I have owned a Searunner 31, helped build and sail a Searunner 37 ,a searunner 25, owned a Piver 27 and am currently building a CC44 in Texas City. Of course, I have a little biase when it comes to Jim Brown and John Marples designs, but, at least for us, they are the best possible fast cruising design that I have ever seen. We decided on the CC44 layout because it had all of the features we loved in our old 31 - the central cockpit, cutter rig, aft dinette and great sailing features. In fact, the only reason that we decided not to keep the 31 was that it was too old (bad dry rot) and small for full time live aboard cruising. We are currently about one year from finishing the CC44 and two years from launching (outfitting costs).
I know theCC44 in california and have communicated with Larry a few times. From what I know about my own efforts, his work and workmanship are first rate. I have to keep from looking at his site, because my own project is just about at that stage. Great deal? The man is giving away a diamond in the rough! If it weren't 1500 miles from me, I would snap it up. That is, if my wife would let me. I'm not really a trimaran expert, but as the Amish say, the best way to become an expert on building a barn (boat) is to build one. At least I can say that I have some considerable personal investment in the Marples designed constant camber 44. I can offer my insight in cruising trimarans in general and CC44 trimaran in particular
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 19:05   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard. We are getting out own little gang of Brown/Marples trimaran owners going here. That's an impressive project you have going there. I have a little Constant Camber project going on in the basement, a Gull dingy. Hopefully I may enough material left over for a smaller Puffin or Daffy.

Patrick, age 9
Old 26-04-2008, 06:54   #26

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Welcome aboard. We are getting out own little gang of Brown/Marples trimaran owners going here. That's an impressive project you have going there.
I want to update the boat I started the tread with for any lurkers.

Concerning the boat & CONEX (and from the owner):
... The entire project is priced at $5,000.
If the buyer doesn't want the container, I can sell it separately to other buyers. The container is valued at $2,000 +/- and can always be sold locally.
If a buyer wants to, they can submit an offer for the boat project with or without the container. If the offer includes the container, that offer must be over $2,000 to be considered.
Payment must be by bank check, and title passes to the buyer when the check clears.
The boat must be removed from the site by 'mid-summer'. The exact date is still to be determined, but mid July is a good target. The container has to be moved out of the way to move the boat. Removing the container from the site is subject to negotiation with the tenants of the site, it may be possible to rent space for the container from the site tenants.
Weights:
Hull weight--estimated 10,000lbs or less.
Container weight--estimated 10,000lbs loaded with remainder of material, etc.

Photos:
MARPLES 44 TRIMARAN
note: sometimes MSN does not want to load the photos but they are there.

Initial quote for moving:
The first quote I received (about 10 hours ago) is for $9.80/mile
As you may have inferred I have looked at purchasing the boat. If I can find a considerably better offer I'll take it. However, as I indicated above, I would have no heartache if someone else beat me to it which is why I am placing all the information I have (minus what I wouldn't want released) in the public domain. If you wish to contact the owner directly for the remainder (e.g. exact address and google map of site), his email is boatbuilder01@hotmail.com.

I have found him quick to answer questions and helpful.

Best of luck to all of us.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 09:08   #27

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Searunner 34'

I will jump in here my self. I owned a 37 Searunner (that had a crawl space from front to back) That we operated on the cold rainy oregon coast.

We have since moved to Mexico and have a 34 Searunner originally named "Slick" you can see it at the old Searunner owners site. Now named Corazon. We originally went to Mexico to look at the boat and fell in love with the area and bought a house and condo! But the boat sits right in front of the house. i have a two year plan to outfit (Paint just finished) a do some Mexico cruising.

I often singlehand the boat on and off the mooring and rarely use the 9.9 Yamaha on the stern. The boat sails like a dream....really easy for one man. With the mast and all controls in the cockpit, as well as the bow nets and windvane steering.....you have ove 6 foot of cockpit flat and cushioned to stretch out on. Cutter rigged make sail reduction very easy.

The 34' was the last boat in the Searunner series. there are some subtle but important differences. I LOVE this boat. It is one tough cookie. I have taken it out in blustery conditions single handed and left all the sail up. Ripped a mainsail...the boat was tough. You coulden't get it under water. The boyancy would throw water on the bounce.

On center sailing must be experienced. With all the signifigant weight in the center, and the boat corkscrewing around the center in nasty chop, and there you stand, right in the middle of it all......gives you alot of confidence.

I know about losy motion. I work in the Bearing Sea winter and summer. We get plenty of lousy motion. I'll take a Searunner in warm water any day...:-)

There are some shots here of our boat from last year or so. Currently it is on the trailer (we can haul tris and cats here on our own trailers) Just completed a Allgrip paint job and will be rigging with Dynex Dux synthetic riging. 1/6 the weight and stronger than wire.

Jack
jmolan - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
jmol_album - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
sancarloscondo - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 21:34   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jack
I took a look at your pictures. You have a nice set up there. I was also interested in how you have your bow nets attached. I had the exact same thing planned. It looks like it works well. How well does the Auto Helm windvane work?

Patrick, age 9
Old 27-04-2008, 21:52   #29

Vane

Steve, This is an off the shelf vane and it works well on the 34'

I built a stone cold copy for my 37' and was amazed at how well it steered. #1 in self steering is to have a boat that is ballanced before you start to try to get a mechanical thing to steer it. Searunners I have sailed all are very well ballanced. I made a few mods on that one and found the teflon bike cables were really the way to go.

The 37' I replaced the old style cable and sheave to the teflon bike cables. The 34' has twin cable steering and does not disconnect at the rudder. The 37' had a single push pull cable that had the knife realease that Brown designed. I would like something similar as the 37' would self steer in the lightest of a puff.

The nets just lace on thru hardwod strips that have hole drilled out. I am currently redesigning it to use knotless Dynex and I am considering just drilling the holes in the lip of the bows. I am eliminating as much SS hardware as I can and replacing everything with Dynex or Dynex Dux. It is the way the round world boats are going, if it is good enough for them....well.

We developed standing rigging for Dynex Dux. DIY guys can rig cheaper stronger lighter etc.

Check it out at Colligonautique.com

I have helped in the development as I was familiar with the stuff from fishing industry. John (Colligo) is a fellow Trimariner.
Old 02-05-2008, 14:26   #30

Tri for sale

Sail boat 33 ft Trimaran (price not a typo)

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran