Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 07:35   #61

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Mantus Anchors

How convenient for you that the Rocna and Manson only used an old piece of rope with a big bowline attaching it, while the Mantus had nice stainless chain connected with a small shackle. Waving your hands and saying they all used chain doesn't make it so.

And to me, it looked like the Rocna and Manson stopped dead when buried, while the Mantus kept slowly creeping along. I guess this is what you meant when you stated "The Rocna and Manson set well ... though there were differences in holding power".

Sorry Greg, I was in your camp until this video, where I think you tossed your credibility under the bus.

I will certainly do myself a favor and never watch another of your videos - this was the first and last for me.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_05.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	63991  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 18:04   #62
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Abv3 the anchor is manufactured in China. We have a quality engineer onsite with full insight into the processes and procedures to verify all specs are met.
Greg
saving $3 an anchor really meant that much to you that you will out source it?
i hope your Chinese anchors cost about $50 in that case, because A36 steel in china is $500 a metric ton..... seriously, build in America. Keep a few of your customers in business. i think i will look for a "Made in USA" stamp on my new anchor.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 05:58   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i think i will look for a "Made in USA" stamp on my new anchor.
What about those living in New Zealand who want a Mantus? England? France? Canada? Australia?

Should they be looking for a "Made in USA" stamp also, or would you expect the company to make anchors in every country they sell to?

Your cell phone, television and computer must be interesting devices...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 14-07-2013, 19:19   #64
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
How convenient for you that the Rocna and Manson only used an old piece of rope with a big bowline attaching it, while the Mantus had nice stainless chain connected with a small shackle. Waving your hands and saying they all used chain doesn't make it so.

And to me, it looked like the Rocna and Manson stopped dead when buried, while the Mantus kept slowly creeping along. I guess this is what you meant when you stated "The Rocna and Manson set well ... though there were differences in holding power".

Sorry Greg, I was in your camp until this video, where I think you tossed your credibility under the bus.

I will certainly do myself a favor and never watch another of your videos - this was the first and last for me.

Mark
Mark, watch the video again..... we pulled all anchors the same way....
We did not show the Danforth, Manson Supreme or the Rocna bc they all set well in soft sand as expected, the only time you see Rocna is with Mantus attached to rope via a spreader bar..... pulled equally and Mantus has better holding though its hard to see...
sorry, I did not realize it would be confusing....
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 19:38   #65
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Part II Grass

Same Rules
Depth 25 feet
Scope 4:1
10 feet of chain and line for rode
Anchors Being pulled with a 33 foot Panga with two 115 hp outboards....

[URL=
Old 15-07-2013, 05:24   #66

Quote:
Mark, watch the video again..... we pulled all anchors the same way....
We did not show the Danforth, Manson Supreme or the Rocna bc they all set well in soft sand as expected, the only time you see Rocna is with Mantus attached to rope via a spreader bar..... pulled equally and Mantus has better holding though its hard to see...
sorry, I did not realize it would be confusing....
Look at the screen shot from the video I posted. Underwater and under sand, it is difficult to tell rollbar anchors apart and the caption described a Rocna and Supreme. Nowhere did you mention that the video was suddenly changing from your described tests to a completely different video showing footage totally unrelated to the current test.

And don't get me started on your new video - I am still kicking myself for watching another one.

Greg, this whole community is gun shy and jaded from anchor manufacturers slinging BS left and right. You are going to have to walk carefully and pay very close attention to covering your bases if you want us to listen to your pitch.

The above is shoddy editing and planning.

In your new video, you first show your anchor setting well in a different bottom than the others - it is right on the edge of a soft sand patch, where the others are surrounded by grass and the bottom is obviously rubble/harder.

You show all of them dragging, with the Manson and Rocna starting to partially dig in, but dragging along as they try.

On the last shot, it looks like you finally dropped your anchor in the same area. It drags along, then starts to partially dig in like the Rocna and Manson - when you cut the video!

What happened after that? You lead us to assume it dug in by setting us up with your anchor setting well in soft sand with a little bit of grass.

Again, shoddy. You may be on the up-and-up, but you are not careful with your advertising.

But I bet your anchor also dragged in the area with lots of grass and hard bottom. I make that bet because I have seen other anchor manufacturers do this to us too many times.

Mark

Old 15-07-2013, 11:12   #67
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mark, so if you keep watching, the subtitles tell you that the two anchor in the shot are
Mantus (not Manson Supreme) and the Rocna) that section of the video was to explain why we did not show footage of Rocna, Manson, Danforth..... While we expalin this, I thought it would be cool to show MANTUS beating Rocna on the spreader bar in holding power... while being pulled simultaneously....... Again sorry for the confusion..

On the grass video, the sequence when you see the anchor drop has nothing to do with the pull that follows... I tried to be as honest as I can in these.....
The problem is that after two days of shooting its always surprising how little footage is actually useful.....
The idea here was to show that Mantus bites every time, which it does....
The holding in this area is horrible especially when dealing with 8-10 lbs anchors...
So all anchors if set could easily be pulled out..... But the likely hood of a set is drastically different and that is what I am trying to show.....

Rocna, Manson Supreme are good anchors and I recommend them to people that do not want bolted construction, but I believe and know that Mantus sets better (more likely to set) and thus is more reliable in difficult bottom and that is what I am trying to relate.....
Greg
Old 15-07-2013, 11:15   #68
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
What about those living in New Zealand who want a Mantus? England? France? Canada? Australia?

Should they be looking for a "Made in USA" stamp also, or would you expect the company to make anchors in every country they sell to?

Your cell phone, television and computer must be interesting devices...

Mark
I'm sorry. Don't you all order your kit from America because it cost less?
Old 15-07-2013, 11:33   #69
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

As you can imagine when deciding where to manufacture there are many things to consider..... Many Pros and Cons. While manufacturing in USA would severely limit our competitiveness and put into question our survival; think of this in a different way.... Had we not existed there would not have been money spent on advertising, rent of the facility, shipping fees, "these silly videos" i.e 90% of out budget that gets spent here in the US....
So, I do not claim to have any knowledge on micro or macro economics, but I do know I am trying to build something and make it in this world and I hope it does contribute to the growth of our economy in a good way.....
I am on of the few doctors that spends ALL his money... that must be good for something..... could have milked the system instead... easily
Greg
Old 15-07-2013, 11:35   #70
cruiser

Quote:
I am on of the few doctors that spends ALL his money... that must be good for something..... could have milked the system instead... easily
Greg
it may be your accent :P but i have no idea what your on about....?

BTW if your paying someone to make those videos, stop paying them, they are really bad.
i would have also believed you if you said you went out and made them yourself.....
Old 15-07-2013, 11:40   #71
cruiser

a video i would like to see is an anchor trip and reset.
set the anchor, drive over it, see how far it has to go to reset, if it does at all.
this is an issue for many. they set and anchor, it gets freed, then it does not reset. i would also like to see how your anchor compares to common anchors in too short scope situations. 2:1 3:1.
i would love to know if the danforth and QCR are that much worse then yours.
Old 15-07-2013, 11:47   #72
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
it may be your accent :P but i have no idea what your on about....?

BTW if your paying someone to make those videos, stop paying them, they are really bad.
i would have also believed you if you said you went out and made them yourself.....

Oh..... I was just responding to your earlier post:

"saving $3 an anchor really meant that much to you that you will out source it?
i hope your Chinese anchors cost about $50 in that case, because A36 steel in china is $500 a metric ton..... seriously, build in America. Keep a few of your customers in business. i think i will look for a "Made in USA" stamp on my new anchor"

oooops I did make those videos ...... They might be bad as you say, after all - you are a viewer and thus the judge.... but they cost money non the less....

greg
Old 15-07-2013, 11:47   #73
cruiser

also your video is far over-edited.
in your first set attempt what happened? why did you move it before you tried to set it?

also when yours was set the boat pulled gently, when the others were set it pulled quickly. its very obvious that the test was very flawed.
yours was also on the edge of the grass bed, the others were center mass.

your video is fake.
you picked the best set for your anchor, and the worst of the others.
quite pathetic.
Old 15-07-2013, 11:52   #74
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

You or anyone are welcome to raw footage.....
I just tried to put into a presentable form.....
Focusing on likely hood of a set......
greg
Old 15-07-2013, 11:52   #75
cruiser

Quote:
Oh..... I was just responding to your earlier post:

"saving $3 an anchor really meant that much to you that you will out source it?
i hope your Chinese anchors cost about $50 in that case, because A36 steel in china is $500 a metric ton..... seriously, build in America. Keep a few of your customers in business. i think i will look for a "Made in USA" stamp on my new anchor"

oooops I did make those videos ...... They might be bad as you say, after all - you are a viewer and thus the judge.... but they cost money non the less....

greg

i am a videographer, i have made commercials, and been paid for my work.
portions of this video were used a "b" roll on local news outlets
http://tinyurl.com/nmdo5oy

Tags
anchor, Mantus, texas