Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2009, 06:12   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
New Texas Social Group

Howdy all,
Started a Texas group, thought it would be a good way to keep track of each other, pool our resources, post dock parties, sailing trips, crew needed etc.
Please join if you are interested, I'm an army of one right now
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 06:44   #2

Boat: Vagabond 42
Send a message via AIM to Whispering Star
Whispering Star and Husband aboard. That is a great idea. When should we schedule our first potluck?
Whispering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 07:00   #3

Boat: Farrier f27
Is Lyle Lovett's song "Your'e not from Texas' the group song?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 07:46   #4

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
OC count me in and my theme song will be "On the Road Again" being in Fort Worth. I know that drive well though.

Speaking of drives, I left Orient NC and drove about 300 mi starting at 5pmn Saturday night and slept somewhere (?), at a real low rent Indian no tell motel, then drove 1000 miles to home Sunday.

Good trip overall 3500 miles, looked at boats in Annapolis and Orient, asking from 40k to 70k, most full keel, smallest, 33 Cape Dory (2), largest 38 Downeaster and Morgan. Got 49 mpg driving up when it was cool, no AC, averaged 60mph less sleeping time, moving average 71 mph. Coming back with AC 44 mpg.

Great trip....VW diesel (Pathfinder in sailor speak) Jetta 06. Without air on and by slowing down I can get well over 50mpg normally and maybe 70mpg if I drive white knuckled slipstreaming big trucks. That is too nerve wracking though. If you get real close to a moving van that has a real low trailer it will just suck the vw along, on level ground at about 100 mpg according to the computer onboard. Then there is the prayer thing hoping he does not slam on the brakes.

Anybody know anything about a 30 foot Center Cockpit brand name S2?

One of the Marinas are foreclosing for 3 years of unpaid slip fees and it will be available CHEEP, CHEEP.

I went aboard and it looked good and was roomy. Yanmar powered.

So yeah, OC you get something going, I will drive down and find a nice Indian slum motel keeper and look over what is left down there. I do love the smell of curry, and the company of bed bugs.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 07:52   #5

Thanks Whispering Star!

Randy,
Our group secret password is "darlin" It aint Texas if your not called "darlin" at least once a day (men and women ) Or our song can be "Pistol packing momma", but that might... well, er be... a wee bit put-off-ish? I'm not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could
Erika

PS
No grammer teacher were harmed in the writin of this thread
Old 22-06-2009, 07:57   #6

Boat: Farrier f27
"On the Road Again" was my Navy ship's song - we were always 'on the road again' !
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 08:02   #7

Official today: Offer on 35' Lord Nelson went in. Cross your fingers and hope survey and test sail go well. We could possibly get all the theme songs on one disk and just play all of them during our gatherings. Wouldn't that be a mix..
Randy: Bumper sticking is what the truckers expect, if you have a CB call them and let them know you are there and they will pull you willingly. Did that all the time when I was traveling. Plus they usually have a handle on the speed traps out there. Although you might have to tell them you are 25yrs blond and blue eyed to get there cooporation. Can you talk in a high pitch...Ha
Old 22-06-2009, 08:04   #8

Mule,
I had a whole slew of VWs. I know about that draft problem!. I usually drove my vans with the side windows open so I wouldn't crab as bad on the Highway. I had a 1978 green vw camper pop top named sweet pea, a 1968 candy apple red Karman ghia named Babydoll, and a 1977 camper named "The Great White Whale" cause it was pearl white and matched my pearl white 12 ft whitehall row boat that I'd haul around on top Thems were fun days. Now I have a fully ac Hyundai get 35 on hwy w/ac.
The S2 is a great live aboard I don't know about her sailing qualities.
Wecome back to Texas
Erika
Old 22-06-2009, 08:06   #9

Passwords: darlin', little woman, hey cowboy and since a lot of us are adopted Texans, it could be brother (I have heard that one alot lately)
Old 22-06-2009, 08:17   #10

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Randy????...I be Da Mule, cause cause I am stubborn, but determined and do what I am told. I am grey haired with beautiful blue eyes, pleasingly plump and can say "Hello Darlin" so well you would think Conway was reserrected". A truckers dream.

Sadly, there may be some truth in that for some truckers, seems after the wife left (36 years) when I removed the wedding ring the only action I was getting was gay guys hitting on me. Being straight, my intrest was somewhat subdued to say the least. When a gay friend laughed when I told him he said, "Oh yeah, old OBIE is a chubby chaser". I answered, "You bas****, and he laughed some more. I am on a diet now, have lost 20lb since April. Chubby chaser? There is a whole world out there that has passed me by.

Good luck on the Lord Nelson. The closest I looked at was a Hans C 38 for a little over 80k. My bank is not big enough for the refit, it was rough.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 08:19   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Texans, the native ones (which I am) can be a funny bunch.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 08:47   #12

Mule
Eyes be corrected.. Ocean Girl has a line on a Hans Christian in Seabrook. That might fit into your dudget. We took a look at it, didn't go aboard. We thought it was beyond our capabilities in size, I think it was a 38 or 43? and it needs some refit but it is do-able. Damage during Ike, bow sprit and some toerail damage, scraps and scuffs on hull. But otherwise she looked ok from the docks.
Old 22-06-2009, 08:49   #13

Here the link to the Group
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...xas+group.html

I love Texans, yes they can be a strange lot at times, but thats what I love about them. I lived up in Rhode Island for three years, it didn't work out and decided that I'd had enough. I packed up my car and headed south to Texas. By the time I got to Georgia line I was feeling better. I am an Air Force brat so I grew up in about twenty states before I turned 15. Anyways, Somewhere in Georgia I was in n a drive-thru staring off into space wondering if I was making the right decision with my life when a Beltbuckle crossed in front of my line of vision. There was a cowboy attached to the big beltbuckle. After getting a good look at my packed car with Rhode Island plates and my sad face the cowboy said in a slow southern drawl "darlin, your a long way from home" , I smiled and said "no sir, I'm going home", I'm a southern kinda girl. I was in Rhode Island three years and no one reached out to me the way that coyboy did in five seconds- I love the southern way. NOT knocking the RI, I love click and clack .
Erika
Old 22-06-2009, 09:20   #14

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Thanks for the invite darlin, think I'll ease in and sit a spell, knock the dust off, and see if I can learn sumthan...
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 09:34   #15

Texas Group sign up page http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...xas+group.html

Hey bob 77903
If you get a hankerin, tell us about your boat any project etc
Erika

Tags
paracelle, texas