Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 00:23   #1

Land Based Map of Baja Mexico and Windows 10 GPS Receiver?

Hello All,

Is there a good land-based map for Open CPN for Baja Mexico? My intention is to use this software during the Baja 1000 race on a Windows 10 tablet and the course is over land, not water. I installed Open CPN and added last year’s course to Open CPN on my tablet and it performs excellent, but I’d like to have a road map of Baja as well.

Is there any way of leveraging the new Windows 10 Maps, downloadable maps? I have all of Mexico downloaded, but Windows Maps doesn't currently support a GPX overlay.

I previously used a Lowrance chart plotter for this, but someone stole it out of my truck.

Also, what GPS receiver do you recommend with Windows 10?

I’m completely new to Open CPN, so forgive me if these questions have already been asked.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 21:34   #2

Re: Land Based Map of Baja Mexico and Windows 10 GPS Receiver?

I've located several maps for Mexico, but the one that worked is too dated and the newer maps are not in a format that works with Open CPN -- I'm close to giving up.

This would have been perfect, the chart plotter functionality is better than Lowrance, just lacking the map I need.

OpenStreetMaps and Open CPN should get together, you'd solve 90% of the worlds land-based navigation needs.
Old 16-11-2015, 03:57   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Mike you can use a bluetooth gps (I have a holux gpslim 240 that works) and the globalstar 343 S4 gps mouse usb works. The earlier 343 does not work easily (driver issues with win10). You should now do some searches on the forum for windows 10 and purchasing charts. There is a good plugin that allows purchase of charts.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 17:21   #4

Boat: 29'

Mike321,
why not try the Weatherfax plugin? It will convert map images to the " .kaps" you want
or, look up "imgkap" here on the forum. It is a command line utility but that is simpler than it might first seem...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Mike321,
why not try the Weatherfax plugin? It will convert map images to the " .kaps" you want
or, look up "imgkap" here on the forum. It is a command line utility but that is simpler than it might first seem...
I tried imgkap, but it doesn't work with the latest version of Google Earth, according to the error I received.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Mike you can use a bluetooth gps (I have a holux gpslim 240 that works) and the globalstar 343 S4 gps mouse usb works. The earlier 343 does not work easily (driver issues with win10). You should now do some searches on the forum for windows 10 and purchasing charts. There is a good plugin that allows purchase of charts.
Thanks for the hardware tips. I tried the chart downloader plug-in, but I couldn't find anything for Mexico (free or paid).
Old 13-01-2016, 10:48   #7

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike321 View Post
I tried imgkap, but it doesn't work with the latest version of Google Earth, according to the error I received.
what errors?
or
maybe try
"Google Earth to BSB" thread here.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...kap-43680.html

Below link is a help if you want easy screen grabs with corner positions(copy and paste em ) -I use a (firefox)screen grab plugin.
Exploring Google Maps
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 00:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
what errors?
or
maybe try
"Google Earth to BSB" thread here.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...kap-43680.html

Below link is a help if you want easy screen grabs with corner positions(copy and paste em ) -I use a (firefox)screen grab plugin.
Exploring Google Maps
Thanks for your help. I uninstalled when I received the error. I'll try reinstalling and capturing a screenshot of the error.

Tags
baja, gps, Mexico, wind