Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2017, 18:27   #1

Boat: Island Packet 380
Water damage on sole at base of mast

Newby here, looking at several boats. There's an IP380 that we like a lot, but it has what appears to be water damage on the sole where the mast penetrates through the sole. My assumption is that this means water has leaked down the mast in the past.

If it's just a little work on the sole to get it refinished I don't have a problem with that, but is this a common symptom of some more significant issue that I should be concerned about?

Also, I find myself focused on the IP380 and the IP40 as boats that feel like they fit us well. We like the layout of the 380 more, and would love the opinion of folks more experienced than myself on this question: Similarly priced and equipped, do folks believe one is a better boat than the other? What I read makes me believe the 380 will perform better, and we do like the layout. Not sure what disadvantages the 380 might have when compared to the 40.

Thanks in advance for insight and advice!
bicyclewriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, water