Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2017, 19:03   #1

Florida to Bimini June2017

Hi everyone, we're looking to go to Bimini Bahamas this June, planning on crossing the Gulf Stream from Ft. Lauderdale on our 30 ft cruiser, would love to go as a group, since it's going to be our first time for such a trip, is there anyone else who might want to take their boat for such a trip? And who ever already made such a trip, I would love to hear from you, tips, suggestions....we're also want to take our 4 kids with us
Lena86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:29   #2

Re: Florida to Bimini June2017

Sail or power? Much different trip if one or the other.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lena.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena86 View Post
Hi everyone, we're looking to go to Bimini Bahamas this June, planning on crossing the Gulf Stream from Ft. Lauderdale on our 30 ft cruiser, would love to go as a group, since it's going to be our first time for such a trip, is there anyone else who might want to take their boat for such a trip? And who ever already made such a trip, I would love to hear from you, tips, suggestions....we're also want to take our 4 kids with us
Howdy Lena. Welcome Aboard CF!

The trip to Bimini is a popular topic, and you can find many tips and suggestions in some of the many previous discussions about Bimini in these links:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ini&gsc.page=1

Have a safe and fun time with your kids and enjoy CF too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:57   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

It's all about the weather. Don't do it if there is a North wind (including the day before) and maybe it will be smooth (that definition is in the eye of each person). I came back across the other day and the wind was calm but still spent 6 hours rolling down the side of swells.
Old 29-04-2017, 08:48   #6

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Just suggestion but look up the website for the "South Florida Sailors and BOATERS' in FtLauderdale and talk with them, they go to Bimini frequently............
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 09:25   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Hi Lena,

I'm based in Fort Lauderdale too. As mentioned by others earlier in the thread, it's a very different crossing based on whether you are power or sail. If power, then it's simpler as you go faster, and only need a relatively short weather window and won't spend nearly as much time in the Gulf Stream. On a sailboat like mine, after watching the weather very closely, I head south to No Name harbor on Key Biscayne and anchor there overnight. Then set out bright and early, plotting a course to compensate for, and take advantage of, the current. Get in to Bimini in the mid-afternoon. Not a big fan of overnight crossings, as it leaves you wiped out for the next day - but each to his/her own.

I'm thinking about a trip that way later in June, so would be interested in sailing in a group if you're also on a sailboat.

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 11:21   #8

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Hi Lena,

I'm based in Fort Lauderdale too. As mentioned by others earlier in the thread, it's a very different crossing based on whether you are power or sail. If power, then it's simpler as you go faster, and only need a relatively short weather window and won't spend nearly as much time in the Gulf Stream. On a sailboat like mine, after watching the weather very closely, I head south to No Name harbor on Key Biscayne and anchor there overnight. Then set out bright and early, plotting a course to compensate for, and take advantage of, the current. Get in to Bimini in the mid-afternoon. Not a big fan of overnight crossings, as it leaves you wiped out for the next day - but each to his/her own.

I'm thinking about a trip that way later in June, so would be interested in sailing in a group if you're also on a sailboat.

Regards,
David.
Southern Star is also heading out of Miami at that time. At this time I'm not sure If we are going via Bimini or possibly heading North by Memory Rock. We have to be in Hope Town before the end of the month.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 11:49   #9

Girlfriend and I are planning to sail across in late May or early June. Keep in touch.
jwillis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 13:03   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Pick the weather window. Lord bless you with 4 kids on a 30 footer.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 15:01   #11

Hi everyone, thank you all so much for responding, we have 30ft cruiser yacht with 2 motors, it's like a dream come true, to do something like this, but as a first timers, we want to go as a group for sure, I'm not even considering going solo, and wanted to see if anyone else planning something like this for this summer. I found out that there is a large jetboaters.net group of 40 boats, going July10-July15, they do that every year and everything seems very organized, many experienced boaters that did this many times, most going with kids too. I think it's a very good option, so now we just trying to see what dates are going to work for us, and if we really ready to do this)))
Lena86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 04:43   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi Lena,

Since you're in a twin-engine powerboat, here's something else you could consider.

Boating Flings | The Official Site of The Bahamas

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 05:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Pick the weather window. Lord bless you with 4 kids on a 30 footer.
And, when you do leave for Bimini, don't be afraid or hesitant to just turn around and go back and wait some more, if you get out in the Gulf Stream, and think you have made a mistake with the weather.

If you are thinking it, you probably did, and it's best to turn around, go back and wait a little longer.

But this time of year, you'll know when the weather is right. It will look like the Dunkirk Evacuation Rescue heading over.

Last time we went, when we decided it was time to go (leaving from No Name Harbor early in the morning), we counted twelve other boats in sight of us once it got light.
Old 30-04-2017, 15:39   #14

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
And, when you do leave for Bimini, don't be afraid or hesitant to just turn around and go back and wait some more, if you get out in the Gulf Stream, and think you have made a mistake with the weather.

If you are thinking it, you probably did, and it's best to turn around, go back and wait a little longer.

But this time of year, you'll know when the weather is right. It will look like the Dunkirk Evacuation Rescue heading over.

Last time we went, when we decided it was time to go (leaving from No Name Harbor early in the morning), we counted twelve other boats in sight of us once it got light.
Good luck. Definately wait for perfect weather in a 30ft-er and kids. Play around with windytv.com. We are leaving probably Tuesday from Bakers Haulover in a 42ft cruiser. Leaving farther south gives a better crossing angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis22 View Post
Girlfriend and I are planning to sail across in late May or early June. Keep in touch.
Quote:
Hi everyone, thank you all so much for responding, we have 30ft cruiser yacht with 2 motors, it's like a dream come true, to do something like this, but as a first timers, we want to go as a group for sure, I'm not even considering going solo, and wanted to see if anyone else planning something like this for this summer. I found out that there is a large jetboaters.net group of 40 boats, going July10-July15, they do that every year and everything seems very organized, many experienced boaters that did this many times, most going with kids too. I think it's a very good option, so now we just trying to see what dates are going to work for us, and if we really ready to do this)))
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, florida