Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 16:36   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Powersnorkel and Other Diving Options

Is anyone familiar with these products for hull cleaning, maintenance and just plain fun?

Power Dive Web

There's a video which is a good explanation.

Power Dive Web

Cost for the Powersnorkel is $3500. For Decksnorkel $1775 which is for one diver. or $2795 for two divers from deck.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 17:39   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Powersnorkel and Other Diving Options

I use a small bottle hung from a big fender. Cost about USD 200 and does the same job.

A refill is USD 5, free as a beer if your fellow cruisers care.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:21   #3

Looks like an ordinary hookah system to me, though the information on the website is extremely limited. Do a search here for "hookah diving" and then a similar one on google, and you'll be overwhelmed with information and options.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:45   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Looks like an ordinary hookah system to me, though the information on the website is extremely limited. Do a search here for "hookah diving" and then a similar one on google, and you'll be overwhelmed with information and options.
Yep, it looks like an expensive Hookah system. I use an an AC driven hokah for bottom cleaning. Makes it a lot easier.
Old 08-02-2016, 13:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Yep, I'd not known of these systems before and it is the same as a Hookah system. A little cheaper by the look of it.
Old 08-02-2016, 13:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Yep, it looks like an expensive Hookah system. I use an an AC driven hokah for bottom cleaning. Makes it a lot easier.
The prices look cheaper than the Hookah system from what I'm googling

Are these things dangerous to use? I'm getting google hits talking about the dangers?
Old 08-02-2016, 13:37   #7

Doesn't look like they are regulated here in any manner.

http://www.mast.tas.gov.au/wp-conten...h-article-.pdf
Old 08-02-2016, 16:00   #8

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi Rusty
I used their 'deck-snorkel' dozens of times, good for cleaning hulls. I never dived deeper with it than 5 metres. I am sure I could could have gone further. Usually I put the battery and box in the dinghy. Although salt water affects the compressor and had to renew some parts, because when you are using it the lid needs to remain open, otherwise it will overheat.
A normal 80 or 100 Amp battery always lasted longer than I would, no problems there, howewer you boat needs to have the (spare) capacity to charge that.
Quite expensive to buy new, but 2nd hand available and very affordable.

The setup as Barnakiel mentioned, just a cylinder on board or hanging on the railing and using hose and a mouthpiece, worked very well for me, simple and cheap. Good for jumping overboard the removed tangled rope around the prop etc. Used such setup many times, I liked it for its simplicity and ability to employ quickly.

In the end I made a hookah from a a 4HP aircooled diesel engine with a beltdriven compressor, and a remote large tank.

BTW I am not really a recreational diver, used it mostly on cleaning hulls, checking props or diving on moorings.
Old 09-02-2016, 14:43   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The prices look cheaper than the Hookah system from what I'm googling

Are these things dangerous to use? I'm getting google hits talking about the dangers?
I bought my Hooka system used for pretty cheap. Check some of the US prices for Hookas like the Brownies for comparison.
Personally I think you'd be smart to be scuba certified, even though you are probably not going to dive any deeper than 30 feet - say trying to free an anchor.

There is a used books on CG at

Old 09-02-2016, 14:50   #10

A friend has rigged up a decent size 110V air compressor (he had a 12v one before but said it wasn't pushing enough air) and 150' of hose connected to the regulator/breather. That's it. And all under few hundred bucks. Uses it mostly in 15-20ft of water (he has regular scuba gear for deeper water). Hopefully I get to check it out myself next time I visit him in FL.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 05:14   #11

Could someone post the parts needed for a DYI hookah system. Would be interested something proven to use as a 2 person setup.

response sent from iphone
BARRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 08:54   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRMAN View Post
Could someone post the parts needed for a DYI hookah system. Would be interested something proven to use as a 2 person setup.
1.- 3/4 hp (or more) oil-less air compressor. The simpler the better. No reservoir tanks and associated plumbing needed. Gas or electric, your choice.

2.- Length of heat-resistant air hose. This will attach to the compressor output.

3.- Inline particle filter.

4.- Length of breathing air hose.

5.- 2nd stage scuba regulator, tuned for use in a low-pressure application like hookah.

Very, very critical- the compressor must be an oil-less type and all hoses in the air hose assembly must be rated to provide breathing air. Honestly, I recommend buying a pre-built assembly from a reputable hookah seller like J Sink or Brownie's. You can also buy a splitter setup from these places (to accommodate a second diver) but making one yourself is easy.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diving