Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 06:27   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Morgan 33 Out Island Owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
What was your hull number. ..............
Do you know anything about centerboard for these boats? Mine apparently has one and I tugged the tiny string today and felt movement. Any idea how that works mechanically?
I don't recall the hull number for my Out Island 33', but the 1973 and maybe '74 Morgans had the hull number stamped on the plate at the aft end of the boom and the number is also incorporated within the HIN stamped on the upper starboard area of the transom.

I know Morgan tossed in a lot of variety into the models,- different layouts; some trunk cabins; different portlight configurations, but I didn't know that any of the 33' OI's had centerboards. I'm not saying they did not, but haven't you seen you boat's bottom? ....and what's this "tiny string" that you tugged? 'curious stuff!
Old 01-09-2015, 10:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I don't recall the hull number for my Out Island 33', but the 1973 and maybe '74 Morgans had the hull number stamped on the plate at the aft end of the boom and the number is also incorporated within the HIN stamped on the upper starboard area of the transom.

I know Morgan tossed in a lot of variety into the models,- different layouts; some trunk cabins; different portlight configurations, but I didn't know that any of the 33' OI's had centerboards. I'm not saying they did not, but haven't you seen you boat's bottom? ....and what's this "tiny string" that you tugged? 'curious stuff!
I haven't seen the bottom. I bought it on the strength of the dry survey. It splashed before I got up here. AFAICT I do in fact have the centerboard. The tiny little string moves it up and down. If I could figure out how to insert a pic I would do so.

It has a HIN which includes the hull number. Mine is MRY00042M73G-333. I looked that up at Hull ID Numbers - BoatSafe.com

Which tells me hull number 42. I am assuming that MRY the code for Morgan. I think the G makes it a February build. The only puzzle is the M in front of the year.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:29   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
................. I do in fact have the centerboard. The tiny little string moves it up and down. .................
I'm just not understanding the "tiny little string". If you have a centerboard, then it's likely heavily weighted to drop when the lifting cable is slackened and then raised with this same cable on a winch with a winch handle. If the boat has been left without the centerboard lowered and raised for as long as a year, then it is likely fouled and immobile until the centerboard and it's trunk can be cleaned of barnacles or other growth. When the centerboard is raised it would fit within a centerboard trunk within the keel. This winch for the centerboard would likely be located amidship in the area of your companionway.

If you have a copy of the recent survey, there must have been some mention of the condition of the centerboard.

Let's use another clue. The standard keel (without a centerboard) on the Morgan OI 33' establishes a draft of 3'11'. So, what's your draft?
Old 01-09-2015, 13:47   #34

The boat was out of the water. It was splashed in order to get it out of a shallow marina and over where I could take possession.

I will eventually go looking for that string down below but it has a small plastic handle. When I pull on it I can feel something attached start to move. My guess is that the string goes to some force multiplier widget, so the string doesn't have to be large.

I just looked and the string goes down into a copper pipe just enough bigger to accept the string. Down under the sink it is then fiberglassed and ocntinues down to the deck, just exactly even with the forward edge of the hatch under the steps but off to the port side. From there it exits the hull port of the bilge.

I have uploaded pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150901_125816.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	108260   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150901_163818_001.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	108261  

Name:	20150901_163839_001.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	108262   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150901_163919.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	108263  

Old 01-09-2015, 14:35   #35

Pictures turned the right way.

You can see the activating line is darned small. It does look fairly strong but still.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150901_163818_001.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	108265   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150901_163839_001.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	108266  

Name:	20150901_163919.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	108267  
Old 01-09-2015, 14:55   #36

Quote:
I'm just not understanding the "tiny little string". If you have a centerboard, then it's likely heavily weighted to drop when the lifting cable is slackened and then raised with this same cable on a winch with a winch handle. If the boat has been left without the centerboard lowered and raised for as long as a year, then it is likely fouled and immobile until the centerboard and it's trunk can be cleaned of barnacles or other growth. When the centerboard is raised it would fit within a centerboard trunk within the keel. This winch for the centerboard would likely be located amidship in the area of your companionway.

If you have a copy of the recent survey, there must have been some mention of the condition of the centerboard.

Let's use another clue. The standard keel (without a centerboard) on the Morgan OI 33' establishes a draft of 3'11'. So, what's your draft?
My draft is 3'11 CB up and 7'1" with CB down. This according to this:

Office of Science and Technology

ID: 591554

I was given a "spare" centerboard which I published the sizes of somewhere previously. It is about 4' long, 14" wide, made of steel (I think) and weighs enough that it was darned heavy to get aboard the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150901_174557.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	108278   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150901_174610.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	108279  

Name:	20150901_174616.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	108280  
Old 01-09-2015, 15:26   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The black cleat at the companionway and the wood block in front of the flywheel in the engine room look like "aftermarket" additions from a previous owner. That's definitly a centerboard in your photo. I'm curious if and how it was added. Without the documentation number or documented name of the vessel, the Science & technology site doesn't lead to any info. I can see how a centerboard with the added draft could be an advancement for the OI performance.
Old 01-09-2015, 16:14   #38

Quote:
The black cleat at the companionway and the wood block in front of the flywheel in the engine room look like "aftermarket" additions from a previous owner. That's definitly a centerboard in your photo. I'm curious if and how it was added. Without the documentation number or documented name of the vessel, the Science & technology site doesn't lead to any info. I can see how a centerboard with the added draft could be an advancement for the OI performance.
The name of the boat is Times Square
The document number was in the previous post: 591554
Lerry Cyr was the owner.

There really isn't a lot of info on that site, but it is the official CG doc.

It might well be an aftermarket addition. It just feels like that would be an expensive thing to do aftermarket. I have decided that the CB is NOT steel, the ends are steel and the middle seems to be fiberglass with a steel bar running down from top to bottom.

The owner was a racer and also added a bowsprit pushing the bow out about 18". Trying to fly bigger sails it seems.

The boat came with nine used but fair to good condition sails, plus another spinnaker that doesn't fit the boat (too small). Maaayyybe for a 28' Oday (there is a spin bag with that written on it).

1) Two mainsails
2) One 100 jib
3) One 130 Jib
4) One 170 Jib
5) One 70 (.7) or storm? jib
6) One tiny little thing apparently used at anchor on the aft guy to keep the boat pointed into the wind?
7) Two sym spinnakers
8) One Asym Spinnaker
9) One spinnaker not for this boat (doesn't fit, too small)
Old 02-09-2015, 06:43   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My draft is 3'11 CB up and 7'1" with CB down........................
I have another clue! The 7'1" number on the Coast Guard's "Science & Technology" site is for the hull depth. This does not represent the draft of the vessel, but instead it's the distance from the bottom of the keel to the deck.

I believe that the "Centerboard" that you have is not related to the equipment on your Morgan 33 and is likely a rudder or centerboard for some other vessel.
My guess is that your 1973 Morgan OI has the standard long keel with a draft of 3'11" like the others.

I know this doesn't explain the line on the cleat by your companionway that runs into the tube in your engine room, but the "bottomline" is that I have no idea what that is!
Old 02-09-2015, 17:11   #40

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Line w/tube? Bilge pump or alarm float test point?

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 02-09-2015, 20:01   #41

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Have a Morgan Out Island 33 in the Tampa, St. Pete waters that have been outfitting for 2 years and have done modifications, additions and improvements. Have some ideas and suggestions if you need to know specifics. Doing the work myself so have detailed explanations if you need.
Never heard of a centerboard on one of these from factory, only that someone added one, bolted to the outside of the keel, to improve sailing to windward.
Yes, the drive shaft tends to slide back from the coupler. Drilling into the shaft slightly, even for only one of those bolts will solve the problem but just to prevent the propeller hitting the rudder in case it slips aft (in reverse gear),... just add a shaft zinc to the shaft just before the stuffing box in the bilge.
You could lower the bimini a little more to clear the boom and keep the topping lift as it is.
These boats are very underestimated by most sailors. They are simple, strong, comfortable and very roomy. Yes, many upgrades can be done to improve storage, sailing speed and convenience. Just ask us for specific details on each of your projects.
Congratulations on your Morgan OI 33 choice!. Slowpoker.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 22:00   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoker View Post
Congratulations on your Morgan OI 33 choice!. Slowpoker.
Thanks. I am slowly getting it up to snuff and sailing it a bit. It is a very cool little boat. I was out today in very light winds and yet got about 5-6 MPH (not knots) per my gps speed program. Firing up the engine and barely off idle I could push it up to 8 mph on some points of sail. Not downwind however as the engine simply took the wind out of the sails.

I was sailing reasonably close to the wind however, not as bad as rumor has it. And with the engine just off idle I could really crank up wind. This thing is really going to work for me I think.

I would prefer to not motor, but if I can do so with reasonable "mileage" then what the heck.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:31   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoker View Post
.................... Never heard of a centerboard on one of these from factory, only that someone added one, bolted to the outside of the keel, to improve sailing to windward. ......................
Interesting,- If this has been done, then it must have been done to jwcolby's boat. I doubt if it's been done twice! I can imagine how the idea could evolve from looking at the Dutch boats with the lee boards swinging down from the sides of the hulls.

Still, I would favor Capt Eric3's explanation for the little string and tube. It just looks to weak for something leading to a open through-hull and lifting a centerboard.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:37   #44

Quote:
I have another clue! The 7'1" number on the Coast Guard's "Science & Technology" site is for the hull depth. This does not represent the draft of the vessel, but instead it's the distance from the bottom of the keel to the deck.

I believe that the "Centerboard" that you have is not related to the equipment on your Morgan 33 and is likely a rudder or centerboard for some other vessel.
My guess is that your 1973 Morgan OI has the standard long keel with a draft of 3'11" like the others.

I know this doesn't explain the line on the cleat by your companionway that runs into the tube in your engine room, but the "bottomline" is that I have no idea what that is!
I asked the surveyor and his response follows:

Quote:
Good Morning, John,

Yes, there is a centerboard on the port side of the keel. I think we discussed that during the day of the sea trial. It is about 24" long by 8" wide, and the string arrangement by the galley is the actuating mechanism. I have a picture of that, and will send later.
I will post the picture when I receive it.

It is actually about 14" wide and 48" long, though some part will be up inside the CB well even when down. I suppose only 24" would extend when down?. The way I see it in my mind however the well would be just deep enough to contain the "EDGE" of the board (so it doesn't stick out when not actuated), and thus it should extend further than 2 feet, though it may in fact angle up into the well.. I'm looking forward to seeing the picture of this beast.
Old 03-09-2015, 14:06   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I will post the picture when I receive it. ...........
'always great to hear of innovation! I'll look forward to seeing this photo. Maybe I'll see you and your boat sometime in New Bern. Did you keep the name "Times Square"?

Tags
morgan, morgan out island