Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 10:18   #1

Boat: Islander 30' MKII
Canadian Lake superior charts

I'm looking for a website that has a collection of Canadian charts of Lake Superior, much like the NOAA site has for the US side. I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase these charts near me in person or online without spending a ridiculous amount of money.
_wason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 11:57   #2

Re: Canadian Lake superior charts

Yep, that's about it for Canadian charts, no freebies and really expensive.
I have paper charts of my home area, outside of that it is a chart book and Garmin electronic charts on the GPS.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:03   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Canada doesn't give away its charts like NOAA (unfortunately). There are various electronic versions which are quite cheap. You can also buy a Richardsons chart book for Lake Superior at a fraction of the cost of official charts. They're not as good in that they are two-tone colour, but otherwise are taken from official charts, so good enough most of the time.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 24-11-2015, 12:07   #4

Boat: Ontario32

Mike Oreilly pegged it. Richardsons can be picked up at Worst Marine in the USA or try Binnacle.com/ca based in Nova Scotia. Usually free shipping within Canada over $99CAD.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:21   #5

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

Yeah - What Mike said... While I've yet to venture up into Superior, we've been using the Richardson guide for Lake Huron. As you've likely discovered you can order charts directly from the Canadian Hydrographic Service: Canadian Hydrographic Service
For electronic charts, we've had great success with Navionics. I charts for all of the USA and Canada for less than $200.
Happy cruising!
PS Mike- I hope you had a good season?
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:47   #6

Forgot to mention you can print from the navionics web app. If you happen to have some spare time and can print for free at work.......
Old 24-11-2015, 13:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Krause View Post
Yeah - What Mike said... While I've yet to venture up into Superior, we've been using the Richardson guide for Lake Huron. As you've likely discovered you can order charts directly from the Canadian Hydrographic Service: Canadian Hydrographic Service
For electronic charts, we've had great success with Navionics. I charts for all of the USA and Canada for less than $200.
Happy cruising!
PS Mike- I hope you had a good season?
What Jim says . I use digital Canadian charts on both my Garmin chartplotter (a SD card insert for about $100 I think) and Navionics charts on my iPad via iNavX. The latter combo bought me all Canadian charts at a cost of about $100 ($50 for charts, $50 for the app).

Jim, our sailing/cruising season was a bust this year. Sudden family death kept us on the hard, but we've been working on the boat, and now land-cruising via motorcycles. Trying to stay warm over over on the California coast.
Old 25-11-2015, 08:13   #8

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

For much of the lakes you "might" get by with Google Earth, won't show depths but gives you a good idea where you are.
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wason_ View Post
I'm looking for a website that has a collection of Canadian charts of Lake Superior, much like the NOAA site has for the US side. I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase these charts near me in person or online without spending a ridiculous amount of money.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 09:12   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Rirchardsons is better than nothing, but pale in comparison to proper paper charts.

I know its not what you need, but this might help a bit, at least for planning purposes:

Navionics Webapp
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 15:09   #10

Unfortunately, Canadian regulations are quite specific about what a boater may use as charts in Canadian waters.

Unlike NOAA, CHS does not provide free POD charts to mariners - all vessels in Canadian waters must carry and use nautical charts and related publications pursuant to the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, that are issued by, or on the authority of, the Canadian Hydrographic Service.

In addition, there are a multitude of other documents required to be carried on your boat to be legal to operate in Canadian waters - all Canadian documents.

Richardson's, Garmin and Navionics charts are "nice to have" but are not legal for use as the sole source for navigation.

If you get boarded for inspection by Canadian authorities, the financial penalties could be quite substantial.

Sorry, the Canadian government has yet to come into the 21st century (electronic).
kendalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 18:13   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendalk View Post
In addition, there are a multitude of other documents required to be carried on your boat to be legal to operate in Canadian waters - all Canadian documents.
I'm shocked. I'm Canadian. And I've been sailing with no documents at all. I've had the CG ask to see my life jackets and flares, but nothing more...ever. I've crossed the border to the USA and back (with my kids sans wife) with little more than a drivers license...and customs never ever asked for anything like ownership papers. They only ask about booze and smokes. My marina asks for proof of insurance once per year, but that's only after the big collision of 2013 (20 docked boats damaged by one big boat which lost control on a windy day...boom, boom, boom, etc).

My chartplotter does say "not for navigation" every time it boots up.

While I agree there are "legal" requirements, the most important thing is that you know where you are and how to safely get where you are going. I've actually been approached by power boaters with a texaco road map asking how to get to XXX. I've met plenty of boaters who have all the charts and electronics, but have no clue how to read them or use them.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 20:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendalk View Post
Unfortunately, Canadian regulations are quite specific about what a boater may use as charts in Canadian waters. ... In addition, there are a multitude of other documents required to be carried on your boat to be legal to operate in Canadian waters - all Canadian documents. ... If you get boarded for inspection by Canadian authorities, the financial penalties could be quite substantial.
While you are technically and legally correct, I have never heard of any Canadian authority ever checking a pleasure craft for the necessary official charts. I have never heard of pleasure craft operator being charged, or even officially warned about not carrying official charts. I don't know any boater who has known someone who has been asked to produce official charts. License and registrations, sure. Ownership papers, maybe even insurance, but never official charts.

I'm not suggesting people not carry proper charts. I prefer the real paper thing, but the fact is that digital and cheaper chart collections can be used just as safely in most cases.
Old 26-11-2015, 02:57   #13

It's actually a grey area for boats under 100 tons.

"
  • (2) The master and owner of a ship of less than 100 tons are not required to have on board the charts, documents and publications referred to in subsection (1) if the person in charge of navigation has sufficient knowledge of the following information, such that safe and efficient navigation in the area where the ship is to be navigated is not compromised:
    • (a) the location and character of charted
      • (i) shipping routes,
      • (ii) lights, buoys and marks, and
      • (iii) navigational hazards; and
    • (b) the prevailing navigational conditions, taking into account such factors as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns."
Most of the time most pleasure boaters would fall under this catagory.

The only things I have been asked for are my PCOC and VHF card as far as paperwork.
Old 26-11-2015, 03:31   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, wason, & kendalk.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, lake superior