Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 11:14   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
DAB Radio in Northern Europe

Does anyone know whether DAB radio is the same as what you receive on a modern TV with a freeview digital tuner?

This: https://www.freeview.co.uk/why-freev...0RCrtH6W9sk.97

I don't watch much TV, but I used to love the digital radio channels when I had a working TV (not at the moment). In Scandinavia, there are a variety of world channels including Deutsche Welle and NPR. There's less and less to hear on analogue FM, and shortwave stations seem to be dropping off regularly.

Maybe it's worth getting a DAB radio, or replacing my TV which was smashed while sailing upwind to Copenhagen last year.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:24   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Re: DAB Radio in Northern Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Does anyone know whether DAB radio is the same as what you receive on a modern TV with a freeview digital tuner?

This: https://www.freeview.co.uk/why-freev...0RCrtH6W9sk.97

I don't watch much TV, but I used to love the digital radio channels when I had a working TV (not at the moment). In Scandinavia, there are a variety of world channels including Deutsche Welle and NPR. There's less and less to hear on analogue FM, and shortwave stations seem to be dropping off regularly.

Maybe it's worth getting a DAB radio, or replacing my TV which was smashed while sailing upwind to Copenhagen last year.
Maybe this will work?
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:34   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
Maybe this will work?
Maybe. Does anyone know whether DAB radio is the same thing that you receive on digital freeview TV's?

I'd like to be able to use my Glomex amplified antenna on the top of my mast.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:36   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

TVs are cheap enough, I would replace it with a modern so that you can plan DVDs etc as well. Try Argos in the UK unless Cowes has a dedicated electronics shop.

Whist I have a concern about drilling holes in bulkheads which can be seen in this situation I did drill 4 holes for the TV when I mounted it using one of those adjustable mounting frames.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 13:47   #5

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Maybe. Does anyone know whether DAB radio is the same thing that you receive on digital freeview TV's?

I think that DAB broadcasts on a different frequency, but why don't you ask Glomex company? Be sure it's DAB+ though.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 15:40   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

No, it's not but your Glomex amplified antenna may be suitable for receiving DAB radio signals (I am not familiar with this antenna).

DAB radio uses spectrum around 200Mhz and 1.5 GHz. If your antenna is suitable for these frequencies AND your DAB radio receiver has an external antenna socket, it should work.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 00:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
No, it's not but your Glomex amplified antenna may be suitable for receiving DAB radio signals (I am not familiar with this antenna).

DAB radio uses spectrum around 200Mhz and 1.5 GHz. If your antenna is suitable for these frequencies AND your DAB radio receiver has an external antenna socket, it should work.
Hmm... In Aus, free to air TV operates in the VHF band (around 200MHz) in the metropolitan areas and UHF (around 500MHZ) in regional / country areas. I think but don't know that UK & Europe uses only UHF for free to air TV. If so and if your Glomex antenna is only good for UHF, then it probably won't work for DAB radio.

It all boils down to what bands your Glomex amp/antenna is good for.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 03-05-2017, 02:57   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
TVs are cheap enough, I would replace it with a modern so that you can plan DVDs etc as well. Try Argos in the UK unless Cowes has a dedicated electronics shop.

Whist I have a concern about drilling holes in bulkheads which can be seen in this situation I did drill 4 holes for the TV when I mounted it using one of those adjustable mounting frames.

Pete
Yes, I do have a 32" monitor on a bulkhead. Used for watching movies, displaying charts and nav information. It does not have a TV socket, however (broken off), and it would be a PITA to relocate the Glomex antenna amplifier from its place in the Moody dedicated TV locker above the port side settee.

I used to keep a 19" Samsung TV in the Moody TV locker, which was very convenient, although as I said I don't watch TV much. Last year the locker got left unlatched and the TV flew out and got smashed on a lively upwind run to Copenhagen, lively enough to scare one of my crew.

If DAB radio is the same as Freeview radio (??), then I could just install a DAB radio in that place! Another advantage would be that the sound will no doubt be better than the sound from a TV.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:58   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

OK, that's an answer. THank you.

And here is the confirmation!

http://www.radioswitch.co.uk/dab-rad...iew-radio.html
Old 03-05-2017, 04:05   #10

Quote:
OK, that's an answer. THank you.

And here is the confirmation!

DAB Radio vs Freeview Radio? | Radio Switch
OK, but I'm not sure where this leads us. It seems (to me) that freeview radio is also operating around 500MHz yet DAB radio is 200MHz and/or 1.5GHz.

So your Glomex amplified antenna needs to receive this part of the spectrum (200MHz) to work with DAB radio and as yet we haven't confirmed it is able to. We do know that it works at 500MHz as that is what the UK freeview TV (and presumably freeview radio) uses (AFAIK).
Old 03-05-2017, 09:52   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK, but I'm not sure where this leads us. It seems (to me) that freeview radio is also operating around 500MHz yet DAB radio is 200MHz and/or 1.5GHz.

So your Glomex amplified antenna needs to receive this part of the spectrum (200MHz) to work with DAB radio and as yet we haven't confirmed it is able to. We do know that it works at 500MHz as that is what the UK freeview TV (and presumably freeview radio) uses (AFAIK).
I think it means we forget about DAB radio, and buy a new freeview TV
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman

Tags
Europe, radio, rope