Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2019, 11:20   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
old boat and survey

I found a 1966 Seafarer that has caught my eye, but I cannot much information on them. It is a 35ft Bahama. Anyone know of any gothcha's on these boats? This is my first boat, so I might not know a deal from a dud.

Also, is it normal for surveyors to be hard to get in touch with? I have left messages for 4 of them with no call back. Do they just don't want to deal with boats in the $10-15k range?
Uturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 11:32   #2

Re: old boat and survey

Strange about the surveyors, they must be busy. Many years ago (like 1980) I considered a Seafarer, can't remember the model but it may have been a Ketch or Yawl in the mid 30's length. Scuttle butt was they were just OK built, not great. Basically heresay at this point though, but a '66 boat is a very old Fiberglass boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 12:06   #3

Would that boat be this one? If so, it looks outwardly sound and in nice condition. Someone has taken good care of it for 53 years.

http://https://www.boattrader.com/li...-ms-103146062/

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 12:39   #4

That is the one, but the price is way reduced. There was an extensive refit done just a few years ago. Repowered, new gel coat, new tanks, new sails.
Old 24-05-2019, 12:51   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It’s certainly one I’d look at since I like the old designs. Being a CCA boat it won’t have the interior volume of more moder boats, but Rhodes designed some beauties imo, and the 60s saw some of the stoutest fiberglass boats built. I don’t know that model but I’ve seen a Meridian and it was built like mine, pretty tough. With the refit, the newish diesel... it may be an excellent choice. As far as surveyors, that is odd, but try to find someone who knows the older boats if you can. Some things I’d check besides the usual are the condition of through-hulls and seacocks. Mine are still fine amazingly enough, and they are original! Check corrosion and leaks around chainplates too. The deck may have some soft spots but I think they were plywood cored and with lots of glass. If they are like mine, not a deal breaker. Let us know what you find out. I’m jealous!!
New sails too? And rigging I presume? If that were on my coast I’d suffer temptation I ‘spect.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 14:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/seafarer-bahama-35-ms

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 05:18   #7

Boat: Windward marine Sea Raker 28'

Were you able to get the boat surveyed or check it out?
Bdozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 05:56   #8

I asked around, but was not able to find anyone who knew something about those boats. I really liked the looks of the boat, but did not like the acrobatics required to get from the cockpit to the forward deck. I was also having problems finding a surveyor who would return my call. While doing my research and not hearing back from surveyors, I found an 86 Catalina 30 for the same money docked 2 hours closer to home. Being a new sailor and first boat, I felt more comfortable staying on the well marked trail.
Old 19-10-2019, 10:37   #9

My wife and I came across this boat too today

Seem very nice. Being from South Africa makes this buy a bit harder. Anyone know some more info on these boats. Like OP said very little info on the web

Thanks
Junk Raft Evo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, survey