Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 11:33   #1

Newbie chartering in BVI

I chartered a Leopard 50 for my family with a captain for next April in the BVI through the Moorings. I decided on the BVI and the Moorings as it is the first time for my wife and I'm hoping she may buy into the liveaboard life. I know every one has heard this many times before. I'm retiring in 2021 and planning to purchase a Cat >40<48 and outfit it in 2022 for the 2022-2023 winter-spring season, but want this trip to help my cause for the wife and not hurt it.
Any suggestions for smooth experience this trip?
Calmest waters for snorkeling etc
Retirecaribbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 11:59   #2

Boat: 2019 Lagoon 42
Re: Newbie chartering in BVI

Been cruising here for the last 3.5 months, your captain will likely take you to the popular places. The Indians is great snorkeling but very rolly in anything about 5 knots. Several of our favorites for snorkeling are: The Bight (turtles hang out in southern area), Benures Bay (west edge is great for turtles and reef sharks), Long Bay on Virgin Gorda (both reefs are great).
If he is willing to take you into USVI, check out Cinnamon Bay on St John.

Chartering with a captain for a week is drastically different then cruising. Chartering you will move daily, cruising is more hanging out for days at a time and working on chores. Might want to eliminate captains itinerary for going to Anegada and the Jost Van Dyke bar scene and instead find a nice place in the Bight and sit for a day or two.
BobL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 04:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Retiree.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 11:36   #4

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirecaribbean View Post
I chartered a Leopard 50 for my family with a captain for next April in the BVI through the Moorings. I decided on the BVI and the Moorings as it is the first time for my wife and I'm hoping she may buy into the liveaboard life. I know every one has heard this many times before. I'm retiring in 2021 and planning to purchase a Cat >40<48 and outfit it in 2022 for the 2022-2023 winter-spring season, but want this trip to help my cause for the wife and not hurt it.
Any suggestions for smooth experience this trip?
Calmest waters for snorkeling etc
For Snorkeling…
The caves
The Indians
Gorda sound.
Monkey Point

I do like Marina cay for snorkeling but haven't been there since the Hurricanes. Don't know if the reef is ok

Enjoy
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 17:13   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

You’re going to love it!! Been to BVIs many times.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:55   #6

Boat: Lagoon 42

We have our Lagoon 42, Ocean Song, in the TMM charter fleet in the BVI. Before buying Ocean Song we did the typical 7 - 10 day charters and moved from anchorage (or mooring field) to anchorage each day. Now we are fortunate to be able to spend 2 - 3 weeks each time we cruise the BVI. We often stay in the same anchorage for a couple of days at a time. We have found it to be much more fun and relaxing. We are generally traveling with folks approaching middle age and seldom with children so the urge to go, go, go isn't there with us.

Our other approach is to anchor in the more secluded spots when conditions are right. Try Hallovers Bay on Cooper and Key Bay on Peter for example as a way to get away from the crowds. The captain will know the more secluded spots but he or she will probably only suggest the more popular places to anchor. Be willing to make suggestions to your captain, it's your charter!
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter