Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 16:23   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Statue Bay Anchoring (Next to Rosslyn Bay Queensland)

Has anyone anchored just west of Rosslyn Bay in Statue Bay?

I would like to do a night there before heading north and don’t want to come back over to Keppel... I’m 1.4m draft. It’s gonna be 20knts winds tonight from the south but calming during tomorrow morning.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 17:03   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Statue Bay Anchoring (Next to Rosslyn Bay Queensland)

Statue Bay is a "sensitive" area, and legal sanctions with the possibility of large fines apply for things like discharge, and messing up the sea floor, according to my C-Maps charts. It is part of the area handled by GBRMPA. Maybe you can use the S'lies to make a hop North, if you don't want to hide out at GKI, generally, Alan Lucas' guide to anchorages in Cruising The Coral Coast will see you safe and sound, and iirc, you did buy that when you were in Brisbane, did you not? Or, the marina at Rosslyn Bay would be a safe stop.

Ann
Old 06-07-2018, 17:21   #3

Statue Bay Anchoring (Next to Rosslyn Bay Queensland)

Thanks for the reply Ann, I just had a look at the 2016 zoning map and it shows the area isn’t even in the park anymore. (See attached) It is surrounded by yellow, “Conservation Park Zone”, red line indicates “marine park boundary” which still allows Boating. I’ll have a look when I arrive in an hour and see what I think. Both of my charts sources say it is Park territory, but are probably older than 2016.

And yup, I do have the Lucas guide. Which is definitely priceless, I just find that it falls short on certain occasions, usually a result of being written so long ago.

Staying in Rosslyn Bay is an option but coming back to Keepel might be more enjoyable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2958.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	173171
Old 06-07-2018, 19:45   #4

A little rolly but there were 4 boats already anchored. The wind will probably come straight through and accelerate a bit because of a valley on shore. But will do for the night
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2961.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	173185
Old 06-07-2018, 22:49   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

I go past there fairly often and there a pretty well always boats anchored there. Last time about 2 weeks ago. What depths have you found?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 23:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I go past there fairly often and there a pretty well always boats anchored there. Last time about 2 weeks ago. What depths have you found?

Thanks for the confirmation.

After dropping the hook and falling back a bit west we ended up at:
23° 09.535' S, 150° 46.963' E
The depth there was 7ft today at 11:30am, Tide was 5.0ft. Low tide was 3.9ft at 10am. My iSailor charts show 3, 4, and 5ft in that area.

It’s probably more protected from swell deeper in the bay, but it’s also shallower and a more rocky coast. If going ashore, closer to Rosslyn Bay entrance seems like a better bet, or a lot further west closer to land on the sandy beach.
Old 06-07-2018, 23:47   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

If you are looking to re-supply the best place in the area is Emu Park about 5 nm S at around 23 13.139 S 150 48.58 E. You can anchor in the bay and go ashore at the boat ramp which is protected behind a point. The supermarket is about 200 yards from the boat ramp.

There is a strong wind warning for tomorrow so it's probably going to get rolly everywhere except in the marina.

The best anchorage in the area during a strong S-SE is Corio Bay, about 12 nm north of where you are, which is strange because it is open to the SE. The extensive sand banks in the mouth of the bay seem to keep pretty well all the chop and swell out of there, however the bar is fairly shallow and it is best entered with a fair bit of tide.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
If you are looking to re-supply the best place in the area is Emu Park about 5 nm S at around 23 13.139 S 150 48.58 E. You can anchor in the bay and go ashore at the boat ramp which is protected behind a point. The supermarket is about 200 yards from the boat ramp.

There is a strong wind warning for tomorrow so it's probably going to get rolly everywhere except in the marina.

The best anchorage in the area during a strong S-SE is Corio Bay, about 12 nm north of where you are, which is strange because it is open to the SE. The extensive sand banks in the mouth of the bay seem to keep pretty well all the chop and swell out of there, however the bar is fairly shallow and it is best entered with a fair bit of tide.

Thanks for the info, we got supplies in Yeppoon. Probably could have anchored right out there in the open on a day like today. But the bus is pretty direct from Rosslyn

We will be heading out fairly early in the morning for Pearl Bay, staying close to shore to avoid the stronger winds and seas. The forecast for my current location on Windy app is showing 11-20knts from 3am-9am Sunday, a little windier north and further out. And about half of that speed the rest of the day.

And I considered Corio bay, but yes looks exposed to the south, so it nice to hear it still stays fairly calm. I guess the biggest factor would be trying to leave the bar with strong wind... something I’d rather avoid
Old 07-07-2018, 16:20   #9

Boat: Peter Snell Easy 37'

Hey bud,
Port Clinton is a much better nights sleep. Very calm and deep. Pearl Bay can be very rolly.
jasonleeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, queensland