Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 01:57   #1
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution
Marine Licence -Queensland

Hi,
We are based in Brisbane. We have done our RYA competent Crew Course but do not yet have a Marine Licence ( which, reading the website, we will require for our new catamaran as it has engines well over 4.5KW) Do we have to do the 'BoatSafe' course or does the Competent Crew course count towards this licence?

Thanks so much
Heg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 02:55   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Marine Licence -Queensland

All the gory details here:
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/boa.../recreational/

But essentially, you can get a Qld licence on the basis of your RYA CC qualification ONLY if you are a visitor or have returned to Australia in the last 3 months.
Otherwise, you still need to do a Boatsafe course.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 03:01   #3

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Heg,
there is a world of difference in doing the competent crew course and doing a boat licence. I reside in NSW and did the basic boat licence far to many years ago to remember. The boat licence is very basic and gives you the rules of the road for boating. Here in NSW there is now a component for doing an on water section to obtain your licence. Its a great way to learn how to handle a boat, dock, man overboard, rules of the road and navigation markers. It also gives you an insight into different light, sound and symbol identification when on the water. IE approaching a dredge day or night and knowing what side to pass or light identification at night when a vessel is towing another vessel etc (something you will come across sooner or later travelling the east coast of Oz).
I was fortunate enough to undertake a coxsains course through my employment and that where I really learnt about boating. It was far more in depth then a general boating licence and was a fabulous grounding (excuse the pun) for our current cruising.
I think it was mentioned in a prevoius thread if you have a VHF radio on your boat you will need a marine radio operators licence. I was very slack and did not do my course untill such time as I needed to obtain an MMSI number so I could utilise the AIS system we put in our boat. Dont do what I did and put it off. Do it as a priority if you have not done it already. Knowing how to use a VHF correctly can jeopdise not only your safety but the safety of others. Contact your local Marine Rescue as they normally do the courses or can advise where you can undertake the course.
I am probably rabbiting on here a bit but it is very important and gives you a greater understanding and confidence of boating when going out to sea.

Greg H
Sunshine
Lagoon 410
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 04:46   #4

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

You weren' t rabbiting. It was what they needed to know.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 12:33   #5
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi Heg,
there is a world of difference in doing the competent crew course and doing a boat licence. I reside in NSW and did the basic boat licence far to many years ago to remember. The boat licence is very basic and gives you the rules of the road for boating. Here in NSW there is now a component for doing an on water section to obtain your licence. Its a great way to learn how to handle a boat, dock, man overboard, rules of the road and navigation markers. It also gives you an insight into different light, sound and symbol identification when on the water. IE approaching a dredge day or night and knowing what side to pass or light identification at night when a vessel is towing another vessel etc (something you will come across sooner or later travelling the east coast of Oz).
I was fortunate enough to undertake a coxsains course through my employment and that where I really learnt about boating. It was far more in depth then a general boating licence and was a fabulous grounding (excuse the pun) for our current cruising.
I think it was mentioned in a prevoius thread if you have a VHF radio on your boat you will need a marine radio operators licence. I was very slack and did not do my course untill such time as I needed to obtain an MMSI number so I could utilise the AIS system we put in our boat. Dont do what I did and put it off. Do it as a priority if you have not done it already. Knowing how to use a VHF correctly can jeopdise not only your safety but the safety of others. Contact your local Marine Rescue as they normally do the courses or can advise where you can undertake the course.
I am probably rabbiting on here a bit but it is very important and gives you a greater understanding and confidence of boating when going out to sea.

Greg H
Sunshine
Lagoon 410
Great advice. Thanks Greg. It does seem crazy that the RYA CC doesn't count, given that it was a much more in depth course than the Boatsafe appears to be. Licence to print money for the QLD government I guess
Heg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, marine, queensland