Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2014, 10:49   #1

Considering buying a 2001 Hunter 41

I am considering buying a 2001 410 Hunter with original UK sails. I sail only in Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis. I usually sail short handed, maybe only one other person.

Any problems that I should make the surveyor aware of so he can pay close attention to it.

Bob
mytlord2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 10:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Considering buying a 2001 Hunter 41

Tell him its a Hunter...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 11:05   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Considering buying a 2001 Hunter 41

I have a 2001 410, there isn't any model issue to be aware of that I know of (great boat).

Read owner comments from the below link:

HunterOwners.com
Old 16-06-2014, 11:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 11:58   #5
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm only wondering how you got that useful reply to post and not fall into the "too short" auto response.
Old 16-06-2014, 12:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm only wondering how you got that useful reply to post and not fall into the "too short" auto response.

I have no idea, maybe smilies don't count, or rather count enough?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 13:44   #7
CLOD

Old 16-06-2014, 13:44   #8
CLOD

Quote:
guess it is enough on it's own
Old 16-06-2014, 15:05   #9

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

The guy across the fairway from me has a Hunter 41.... Loves his boat. Thinks I am a lunatic out there sanding and varnishing my woody.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 15:47   #10

Quote:
Speaking of "too short", you say you have a Hunter 410 but under your avatar it says 43' sloop.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 16:58   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Speaking of "too short", you say you have a Hunter 410 but under your avatar it says 43' sloop.
And?????????????????????

But you are right, a 410 is really 43.5'

Guess it just shows you that I know about a Hunter 410 than you
Old 16-06-2014, 18:30   #12

Boat: Hunter 410

We are the second owners of a 2001 H410 - she was commissioned in the spring of 2002 - and we love her. We brought her home to Fort Lauderdale in in the early summer of 2005 and to the Chesapeake in late spring of 2006. We made a trial run to the Bahamas in 2008, and then set off for the Caribbean in October 2010. We have been sailing in the southern Caribbean each season since. She has kept us safe and well. No trans-ocean passages to report on.
Did I mention that we love her? Comfortable, a pleasure to sail in anything but the lightest airs, lots of storage (despite what I have seen written elsewhere - the amount of storage is not apparent at first). Her original owner tricked her out pretty well (StrongTrack to ease the raising of the main, StackPack, dual a/c, Panda genset, inverter, spinnaker, electric winch, solar trickle charge...) We have added large solar panels, Kato davits, wash down pump, isolation transformer...) and of course replaced various equipment over the years as needed. I mention the list only in the interest of full disclosure.
We look at new(er) boats from time to time, and we never see anything in a comparable price point that we would consider.
Cons? In the Chesapeake in summer the master cabin can be hard to ventilate. The Pullman forward bunk is comfortable and that cabin is very well ventilated but it's really a one person ( or two very small persons) sleeping space. The fridge and freezer are a bit of a week point (we've given up on the hydraulics, for example).
Best of luck in your search.
jpsgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 20:07   #13

Quote:
And?????????????????????

But you are right, a 410 is really 43.5'

Guess it just shows you that I know about a Hunter 410 than you
No, it shows me that you are one of "those guys". Hunter also made a 43 so I guess those owners have 46's? Or does the guy who has a 43 have the same boat as you?

I had a friend with a 35' model, not Hunter, that he always referred to as a 38. Then he bought a 43 and called it a 45.

Your non sailing friends won't know about your size creep and will be even more impressed by the extra two feet. Are you sure you didn't miss the nine inches or so that the anchor projects from the pulpit? The back stay tangs might add another half inch as well.

Whatever makes you happy.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 03:54   #14
CLOD

some thread titles just seem to bring out people looking to make "useful" comments
Old 17-06-2014, 04:30   #15
Marine Service Provider

You ask if there are "Any problems that I should make the surveyor aware of so he can pay close attention to it." I think I know what you intended but it sounds as if you or others already know of problems on this specific boat and you need to relate them to a surveyor.....than perhaps you need to move on or get another surveyor as it is is his or her job to find them and pay close attention to them. In general, I have not been impressed with Hunters. I sailed a few and spent three weeks on a 45 in Florida and the Bahamas this winter. In essence you get what you pay for. It is a large production boat company that cuts corners and tries to cram a lot of living space and creature comforts into a boat at the expense of seaworthiness and sailing capabilities. Certainly someone will disagree and take offense but I'm only offering my opinion which is tempered by having sailed hundreds of other boats. If you will be enjoying it here on the Chesapeake and the price is right, and there are no major problems, it will be fine, but you're not buying quality in engineering and or construction. If you are mainly sailing singlehanded--why buy a boat of that size?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, hunter