Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 05:37   #91

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Surely they can put their side of the story on the web as effectively as the plaintiff did? Especially now that the court transcript has put various facts into the public domain?
Because HR is not interested in providing entertainment fodder for us on the internet to play "what if" head games.
They are a well established company, with a world wide reputation for building quality products.
Wish I could afford to buy some shares in the Company.
Old 26-12-2010, 14:39   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I have always lusted after a HR, but at the back of my mind there was always a nagging suspicion that they weren't what the hype said they were. This was fostered by a feeling that "you get what we give you" type of attitude that seemed to permeate the company's attitude. For instance you can not buy an HR without a teak deck. Its a kind of we know what is best for you type of attitude. That is the builder's choice but just seemed to me to be a closed attitude.

If those core samples shown above are really from an HR hull, then I would never own one of their boats. They are clearly way to resin rich/glass starved to have the strength that they should have. The glass would be brittle and have little strength.

I don't believe the core should ever delaminate like the photo's show. I believe that is not a sign of overheating when drilled out but of a poorly bonded laminate.

If one of the HR partners had actually said "all hulls are wet, go sailing", then that would be another reason that I would never own one. That would show that they have accepted an inferior form of skin/core bonding and is an indication of poor build quality.

Something bothers me about the testimony on this thread. Didn't one of the transcripts state that representatives of HR tested the hull? Then there are statements that HR was not allowed access to the boat. Something that should be clarified.

But, its highly unlikely that I would ever be able to be a HR customer anyway, I'm sure my observations won't bother the builder.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 13:56   #93

End of story

The customer and builder have reached an agreement according to the news. No comments. Customer´s web site "cleaned" from pictures of the boat. Hope they get another boat ,leave all this behind and sail happily ever after.

BTW, excellent forum.
TriQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 14:38   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Welcome TriQ and thanks for the update.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 15:36   #95

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post

But, its highly unlikely that I would ever be able to be a HR customer anyway.
Never. If you judge a boat by one bad apple and a bunch of opinions.

So, we had a bad boat and now HR is a bad company.

Valiants never had blisters, Amels never lost their rig, J-boats never lost their rudders in a dramatic way. They are all great companies making great boats.

Errrrr ... are they or are they not?

Sure, Bavaria ande Hunter beat any of the above. Now go to the thread of Pavoa accident and see for yourself how much is left of a Hunter-like boat once she gets a punch.

;-)

What bothers me is the apparently awkward attitude of HR towards solving the matter. Does not sound like the new management follows the old good practices at HR.

I have sailed a couple of HRs and all of them were well built, well sailing boats.

Based on my first hand knowledge of their boats I would love to own one although I do not think this would be any of the newer designs.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:10   #96

HR37 Mia Maria, agreement in short

According to credible rumours, Hallberg Rassy have agreed to take back the Mia Maria and deliver a brand new HR37 instead. All customer specific etc. equipment will be moved to the new yacht. The agreement is hidden by a mutual secrecy agreement.

It would be hard to believe that this outcome is only due to the intense discussions over the matter in numerous Internet Forums, helpful as it must have been.

So now many an owner of about 2-year old HR yachts should really spend some investigating efforts, figuring out the lamination status of their hull. Are they also victims of the same lack of understanding of the environmentally friendly Polyester handling requirements that most likely have caused the problems in the Mia Maria? Hopefully, the legal handling of customer rights in other countries than Sweden would allow enforced corrections for buyers without having to spend fortunes on lawyers. Obviously, HR would not lift a finger to help without the pressure of brutal legal force.
MagnusS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 15:36   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusS View Post

(...)

So now many an owner of about 2-year old HR yachts should really spend some investigating efforts, figuring out the lamination status of their hull.

(...)

Hopefully, the legal handling of customer rights in other countries than Sweden would allow enforced corrections for buyers without having to spend fortunes on lawyers.

(...)

Obviously, HR would not lift a finger to help without the pressure of brutal legal force.
Yes. Also owners of 2-year old Mercedes cars should test their airbags, probably by hitting the nearest lamp post. C'mon - what you are saying is unbased.

As far as handling of customer rights in Sweden goes you need not worry. Customer rights in Sweden are doing OK. And, apparently, protecting producers from hysteria-type mass customer claims is doing fine too.

;-)
b.
Old 13-02-2011, 15:56   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel

As far as handling of customer rights in Sweden goes you need not worry. Customer rights in Sweden are doing OK. And, apparently, protecting producers from hysteria-type mass customer claims is doing fine too.
Ok all the rights are protected, how about The lack of "Customer service"? It is foreign expression thatcher
has no counterpart
Old 13-02-2011, 16:24   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Ok all the rights are protected, how about The lack of "Customer service"? It is foreign expression thatcher
has no counterpart
I think this part has already been covered by the posters above including my humble self.

I have no doubt HR are great boats. I also strongly believe something went terribly wrong at HR PR division as the attitude presented in this case bears no resemblance to the ways this company treated its clients in the 70'ies, 80'ies (and probably well into 90ies).

HR's newer boats are more alike the mass market competition and their PR is sadly reflecting the same trend.

b.
Old 20-07-2016, 17:06   #100

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Swedish Craftsmanship / Quality on Hallberg Rassy

I need some help. I have a 1988 43 HR with teak decks. I am trying to find 10mm teak deck plugs. I have searched the web with no luck.

Thanks
George
george123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 04:12   #101

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Start with HR-Parts. Swanwick should certainly have them. You might also ask Bill Adams in Maryland (past owner of Free State Yachts) for advise. Google for Bill.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 07:07   #102

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 53

Hello George,

I wonder what you want to do with special 10 mm plugs.

I am the proud and happy owner of a HR 53 year 2001. Recently I have been working on the teak decks. I have replaced a number of planks that were worn and I have been sanding the decks. Whilst sanding the teak one loses numerous plugs. That is the remains of the plugs that were originally between 2 and 3 mm's.
I found when taking out worn planks that the screws had no function at all anymore. The sealant / adhesive ( Sikaflex ?) was still very strong and holding very good. In fact so good that I had to hack out the planks in small bits. Tough job.

What I suggest is that you remove plugs and screws. Drill the hole a little bit deeper and replace the plugs. You do not need to replace the screws. I buy new plugs of about 10mm length and I cut them in two 5 mm plugs. After bonding I remove the protruding part ( 1 or 2 mm ) carefully with a sharp woodchisel and finish it with a small grinder. My decks look like new !

If you only need new 10mm plugs. ARC supplies them. Here in Holland ( Europe) every chandler has them in packages of 100 at some $ 4 or 5.
Karel Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 04:51   #103

Boat: no boat any more

...maybe this is just the impecunious writing, but it's not called "brand-'victim'" for nothing...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 08:41   #104

Boat: Hunter 36

Why are you all reviving a zombie thread from 2010??
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hallberg rassy