Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 19:06   #1

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26
No screw cedar decking for a fiberglass boat?

I have no idea if this is even possible, but could you in theory cut and bond a cedar deck to a fiberglass top sailboat? I've seen a few "no screw systems" but they all deal with teak.
Wind459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 19:54   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: no screw cedar decking for a fiberglass boat?

Cedar would be really soft for use as decking. Exposed wood would quickly get dings and would wear down. Anyone with anything like sand in their shoes could easily scratch up the deck all over. Cedar also expands and contracts considerably when it gets wet, so seams would be difficult to keep closed: it would be hard to keep it looking good. If you encapsulate it in fiberglass or epoxy after you stick it down it might work for a while, but epoxy needs to be varnished to keep it from turning opaque brown. These are some of the reasons people use teak. It doesn't expand or contract a lot, it is very hard, as opposed to very soft, and doesn't need to be varnished or painted. Dinghies sometimes have mahogany decks, but that wood is also a lot tougher than cedar. On a dinghy the decks don't get walked on that much, and it's a relatively small area to have to varnish.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 20:33   #3

So I understand that cedar is a softwood (expands/contracts), but I know wood boat builders use it to construct whole ships, so it seemed viable. So is there any low cost wood you could suggest as an alternative for decking? As far as maintenance, I enjoy the weathered look of old wood decks, so Varnishing wouldn't be something I would do constantly, just keep up on the oiling and cleaning. This is for a 26ft boat, it already has a 6 ft bowsprit (32 ft overall), made of Brazilian walnut, and a wheel made of the same wood. It is screaming for wood deck and cockpit.
Old 01-03-2017, 23:07   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

There's cedar, and then there's cedar. Plenty of decks around here were done in Alaskan Yellow Cedar, or the rarer (read pricier) Port Orford Cedar. I once had a deck with Alder kingplanks and covering boards and Port Orford planking, sprung. Beautiful. But cedar decks require some sort of oiling. Fresh Port Orford shavings are still my favorite smell in the whole world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamaecyparis_lawsoniana

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 23:13   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

Note that sapele, black locust, and purple heart are all substantially higher on the Janka scale than teak, which is only middle of the road. The aforementioned are relatively commonly available hardwoods which are often used for decks and timbers in place of teak. They do the same thing but cost much less. Teak simply lives longer in a marine environment due to it's extremely high oil content. This also makes it difficult to coat.

Old 01-03-2017, 23:19   #6

Pressure treated, clear pine weathers to silver with little checking.
Fijijim
Kalokalo,..Solent p35, # 60
Suva
Jim van Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 23:24   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Note here the Janka ratings of yellow cedars, much harder than red.

https://sizes.com/units/janka.htm

Old 02-03-2017, 09:33   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The real question is why would you take a nice easily maintained fiberglass/gelcoat surface and stick something on it that will look like crap if not maintained and require replacement often????
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:45   #9

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind459 View Post
So I understand that cedar is a softwood (expands/contracts), but I know wood boat builders use it to construct whole ships, so it seemed viable. So is there any low cost wood you could suggest as an alternative for decking? As far as maintenance, I enjoy the weathered look of old wood decks, so Varnishing wouldn't be something I would do constantly, just keep up on the oiling and cleaning. This is for a 26ft boat, it already has a 6 ft bowsprit (32 ft overall), made of Brazilian walnut, and a wheel made of the same wood. It is screaming for wood deck and cockpit.
You might want to look into Brazilian Ipê. It's a hardwood that is used a lot for decks and outdoor use. It's pretty cheap and holds up as well as teak.

That said, I have to agree with the post asking why anyone would want to add wood to boat!! I've been slowly getting rid of wood on my boat...
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 16:12   #10

The Star of India in San Diego is redecking her old straight grain Pine with the same I was last on her in July of 76 Her last sail then & her decks were 2x4s. They are looking for donations now to cover the cost of her redecking.Good luck with your project
silverbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:42   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

From you OP what is the drive behind doing this aesthetics? I'd stick with your FG decks.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:17   #12

Well for one, the look will be just plane amazing on my boat. Second, i feel that what most people see as "heavy maintance" is perspective. I toned down my plans from buying an entire rotted wood boat and bringing it back to life, not cause of work but of the cost. Adding a wood deck isnt something overally scary. I mean i have brazilian walnut below, as well as a wheel and hatch made of the stuff. Also remeber the crazy to sexy scale, it applies to boats. The sexier the boat, the crazier the owner.
Old 06-03-2017, 13:03   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind459 View Post
Well for one, the look will be just plane amazing on my boat. Second, i feel that what most people see as "heavy maintance" is perspective. I toned down my plans from buying an entire rotted wood boat and bringing it back to life, not cause of work but of the cost. Adding a wood deck isnt something overally scary. I mean i have brazilian walnut below, as well as a wheel and hatch made of the stuff. Also remeber the crazy to sexy scale, it applies to boats. The sexier the boat, the crazier the owner.
Cedar is an aromatic wood but relatively soft. Does not seem like something to be scuffing feet on?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 13:46   #14

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

im doing my decks in siberian larch with no fasteners. ipe, although beautiful and extremely durable, would be way too heavy and way too hot IMO. and its a pain to work with...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 16:33   #15

Boat: Northerner 28
Re: No screw cedar decking for a fiberglass boat?

I used Kwila (NZ) also known as Merbau (Aus) for all external timber on my FG 28' Northerner and I am using the same on my FG 32' Hartley. If you want a boat with character, add wood! Mine weathered beautifully with ZERO maintenance over 8 years (oh wait - I did oil the tiller once). I used black Sikaflex polyurethane adhesive for bedding the timber and paying the seams.

Try and get Bruce Bingham's Sailor's Sketchbook for some really great ideas...
freebooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, crew, deck, fiberglass