Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 20:46   #1

Possible budget for cruising Asia in a 5 year old lagoon 400

I'm wondering what people think would be a reasonable budget, all in inc insurance, food, maintenance for a couple in Asia.

Some assumptions:
Most if not all maintenance done by myself. Things like bottom painting I may get assistance but I would still be hands on to ensure a proper job and reasonable cost. I can do most electrical and mechanical repairs, and will have tools and spares aboard.

Very little marinas unless they are very cheap for occasional use. I would eat local food and enjoy a relatively simple life.

Boat begins with systems at 5 years old but in good working order.

Scuba gear onboard with generator and compressor.

I'm really want to do it in a catamaran, but I'm also interested in the budget for doing the trip in a 40 foot production monohull. Would the monohull be that much cheaper? Food would be the same, insurance 25% less based on boat value. That leaves maintenance and repairs to be the difference.

The big issue for me is the ongoing cost. $2000 per month monohull and $3000 per month cat, is that a reasonable ballpark? Can I go cheaper?

Shame I can't take paying customers, but that makes things too difficult to do legally.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 22:48   #2

Re: Possible budget for cruising Asia in a 5 year old lagoon 400

Or perhaps if anyone could share their budget cruising Asia that would also assist me.
Old 27-10-2015, 01:19   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400

enlighten me... why would one go cruising asia ?

pics of dirt and overpopulation I have seen, do not help.

And one does not need boat to eat asian food. Ferry or bus way cheaper, i guess.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 01:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post

pics of dirt and overpopulation I have seen, do not help.

And one does not need boat to eat asian food. Ferry or bus way cheaper, i guess.
Thats the beauty of free choice. You dont want to go. He does.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 01:42   #5

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

SE Asia is pretty good cruising. Yes there are dirty depressing places, but there are also beautiful places and people. Crappy pics can be made anywhere in the world. Don't knock Asia till you have been there. Parts of Indonesia and Thailand are great. Malaysia is full of history many/most westerners have never heard about.
Costs vary. Some do it on a few hundred per month, some on 10's of thousands. We had a 40 ft mono, do everything ourselves, but also hired cars, marina berths, the odd flight and hotel, and averaged $5K (about 3.5K in USD then) per month over 3 years all up. It depends on how you are prepared to live, and what sights/places you are prepared to miss.
Old 27-10-2015, 02:28   #6

Quote:
Nah it seems to me you already have your mind set against it.

I like asia. You like other places. Thats cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Malaysia is full of history many/most westerners have never heard about
I haven't heard much about Malaysia's history and haven't been there outside of the airport. I might check things out you have intrigued me.

Langkawi does look to be a nice place to park up when needing to return to Australia for a bit.
Old 27-10-2015, 02:45   #7

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
Nah it seems to me you already have your mind set against it.
No, nothing against, I like trying new things. That is why I asked. But yes, crowd and dirt is not something I tolerate too well.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 03:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I haven't heard much about Malaysia's history and haven't been there outside of the airport. I might check things out you have intrigued me.
Two places not to miss: Malacca, Penang.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 04:32   #9

Quote:
No, nothing against, I like trying new things. That is why I asked. But yes, crowd and dirt is not something I tolerate too well.
Bang for buck Asia is pretty good. Also it means i can easily store a boat in a marina and fly home to Australia if needed. Thai food is the best in the world I reckon, and the people there are friendly.

I want to see the places away from the accomodations which is mostly where i have been so far.

I have had limited boating so far, but have been to Thailand 20 times by plane, visited most mainstream islands and ridden bikes through the mountains surrounding Chiang Mai a few times. If you want to tour Thailand on a bike visit GT-Rider.com and be sure to visit Pai.

Sure there are places dirty and not worth visiting, but there are others absolutely amazing.

Lombok is still nice with amazing beaches a short ride to shops and accommodation and half an hour to an international airport. This won't last long there are MASSIVE plans for development currently...Koh Tao is still nice.

The three Gillie's north of Lombok are very nice, they have balanced development and nature.

There are plenty of places I would love to see.
East coast Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara, Komodo, The Similan islands, Thai islands south of Koh Lanta, Maldives, The Philippines (not the South part they can have their rubbish political wars), Japan (if it is reasonably accessible..?)

Places that are too busy, dirty, overdeveloped in my opinion.
Phuket, Phi Phi, Koh Samui, Bali, much of the gulf of Thailand.

For me it looks like an easy sail and i have very little sailing experience. Start on the sail indonesia rally in July, swap over to the Malaysia Rally, finish up the season in thailand then store the boat in Langkawi for the wet season and return in the following November to continue somewhere.

My plan is a couple of years in Asia, then who knows next..
Old 27-10-2015, 04:46   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

With your experience in Asia already, I think you may well know better than most.
I say that as there are $5,000 boats and $5 M boats, both boats and if you ask someone what a boat costs, it's likely you will get an answer between those numbers.

I only know that part of the world from travelling for work, but I think you already have a good idea, what maybe you don't know is how much does boat maintenance cost?

Being everything is assumed to be five years old, it's getting likely that it's "mid life" for many things and maybe you would need to occasionally replace a few items in order to spread out costs, so you would be in the sustainment phase so to speak.

Gut feeling just from my little travelling around that area is your budget is do-able, but no Luxury in it, and I'd want a significant kitty for the inevitable big expense that just can't be predicted.

(this is from an arm chair cruiser, so don't put a whole lot of stock in it)
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:21   #11

Boat: Lagoon 450

There are GREAT places to cruise in SEA, don't listen to the noise above. We've spent a number of years in this area and now across the Indian in SA. You'll be spoiled for variety. If you're base is USD you'll be in better standing today regarding your budget. I can't comment on your insurance, you have work that out but you can live reasonably well on $500 a month and it goes upwards from there. What your allowing for is sufficient but me thinks it would be closer to $3000/mon if you include all your maintenance and living. If you want more info best ping me.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 09:29   #12

Boat: Aloha 34

This family of 3 is doing the Caribbean for $1300/month on their 42 foot FP Venezia, but I don't think that factors in a future repair contingency, just daily expenses. Trio Travels
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 16:00   #13

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

Having spent many years cruising SE Asia, and returning in 2016 again, you are definitely of the right mind set; doing your own maintenance and staying out of marinas, (which are cheaper for monos). We do use occasionally when undertaking land travel, but there are so many isolated areas to enjoy life. Our blue water insurance increases only marginally but we factor that in. We haul out every 18 months and live very well on much less than 2k per month. We also offer 'crew' adventures; crew are not charter customers. Asia is a wonderful destination.
Old 27-10-2015, 17:04   #14

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran, 2007, Owner's Version
Send a message via Skype™ to millhouse_44

Quote:
Or perhaps if anyone could share their budget cruising Asia that would also assist me.
Hi

We have been cruising for a year in SE Asia aboard a 40 foot Cat. You estimate according to our experience is almost bang on. 2000-3000 per month. If you're in marina it is at the high end if not then at the low end. This includes maintenance and repair mostly done ourselves. We dive and have a generator and compressor.

Those who slag SE Asia have no idea what they're missing. We've travelled all over the world and are amazed particularly by Indonesia but parts of Malaysia and Philippines are also outstanding.

We can provide additional detail by email if you PM us. We keep accurate stats and spreadsheets.

Good luck you won't regret it!

Millhouse
millhouse_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 04:46   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

I've just sailed from Raja Ampat west Papua Labaun Bajo. Awesome! Indonesia is so diverse.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446032843744.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	111703  
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia, budget, cruising, lagoon, lagoon 400