Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 20:44   #1

Boat: Tartan 4100
rookie question-use seaclear wci charts???

I have my charts of the Bahamas that were jpeg files that I converted and calibrated as wci charts and they work in seaclear. I took the raw, unclaibrated, original jpeg files and converted them to bmp format to use in open cpn. But open cpn doesn't seem to see them at all. Do I have to calibrate and save the jpeg files in map cal and then convert them to bmp format? or what else? thanks!
tartan4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 22:52   #2

Boat: Wasa 410
Re: rookie question-use seaclear wci charts???

Welcome to OpenCPN!

Look here for info on chart conversion, it is a little hidden, but there is a link on the OpenCPN web site.

Supplementary Software | Official OpenCPN Homepage
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 18:08   #3

People should know that this program linearizes any non-linear calibration of WCI charts. A great feature of MapCal and SeaClear is that one can use inaccurately drawn images and change the calibration according to the actual position of the features drawn. For example, one can calibrate a chart of a narrow channel so that one's GPS position is always shown correctly with regard to to shore featurs (rocks, coves, etc.) even though the original chart is inaccurate and dangerous to use. Put differently, one can warp the latitude and longitude lines. This transformation program throws all this away.

Is there any plan to make OpenCPN capable of reading WCI charts directly?
hofv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 18:59   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofv View Post
People should know that this program linearizes any non-linear calibration of WCI charts. A great feature of MapCal and SeaClear is that one can use inaccurately drawn images and change the calibration according to the actual position of the features drawn. For example, one can calibrate a chart of a narrow channel so that one's GPS position is always shown correctly with regard to to shore featurs (rocks, coves, etc.) even though the original chart is inaccurate and dangerous to use. Put differently, one can warp the latitude and longitude lines. This transformation program throws all this away.
You just need to provide lots of reference points, then you could take a picture of a paper chart that is wrinkled. Currently you need opengl enabled for this to work correctly. Theoretically it can could rasterize these changes back into the image reducing the chart to a single reference point and scale again with possible loss of data.
Quote:
Is there any plan to make OpenCPN capable of reading WCI charts directly?
Is the format well known? Where is a sample wci chart? I don't see why it would be difficult, but I'm more interested in mbtiles support.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 12:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
You just need to provide lots of reference points, then you could take a picture of a paper chart that is wrinkled. Currently you need opengl enabled for this to work correctly. Theoretically it can could rasterize these changes back into the image reducing the chart to a single reference point and scale again with possible loss of data.

Is the format well known? Where is a sample wci chart? I don't see why it would be difficult, but I'm more interested in mbtiles support.

Hello, my soft outils_carte convert wci charts to kap charts that can be used in OpenCPN.

Logiciels de Tiercelin
tiersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 00:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiersp View Post
Hello, my soft outils_carte convert wci charts to kap charts that can be used in OpenCPN.

Logiciels de Tiercelin
How do I get this software?
TonyP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:15   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

As said in the previous posts:
Logiciels de Tiercelin

In French, but this should be no obstacle...
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 23:17   #8

I have the same issue and have downloaded Outilcartev3.

I can list the WCI file with all the charts in column 4. When I click on a chart in that file it asks if I want to replace the spaces in the chart name with "_". I click yes but nothing seems to change. I have edited that chart name to exclude spaces but get the same message.

I can list BMP chart files in Column 1 and can convert one chart at a time but can I batch the files? I cannot see how to send files to a separate folder (column 3 or 4?)
Old 05-02-2017, 13:48   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

@Tonyp45
Welcome to the OpenCPN Family. We all pitch in here.
Will you please keep good notes on this process and send them to me with some screenshots? (You are getting high value help from experts and we need to document this process for our manual so that others can find their way too.)

Thanks so much.

Rick
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 22:11   #10

Rick. Sorry for the tardy response but I have just started today at having another stab at this.I'm floundering somewhat because I'm having to translate from the French and that the only instructions I can find are those that exist in the Readme File and they are basic. The one file I have tried produced a kap header file for the chart in question. Open CPN is not recognising it but I'm not surprised as I do not understand how to convert and then link the chart to the header file. I have limited computer skills so instructions need to reflect that. If and when I make progress I will share the process but right now need help.
Old 31-03-2017, 04:03   #11

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Tony, just saw this. Sorry about the troubles. Learning new things has its challenges. Sorry I can't help here. Perhaps others can suggest?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts