Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2010, 16:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic
Dufour 35 Classic

Hi people,

My wife and I are looking to purchase a Dufour 35 Classic (1999). Are there any Dufour owners who can give me ideas on any problem spots to look for. It is a 3 cabin layout galley to starboard. Volvo sail drive 30 hp.
Thanks in advance

Bell
Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 12:41   #2

Boat: 2019 Tartan Fantail, Torqeedo Cruise 2 motor
Send a message via Skype™ to mghorton
I have owned the two cabin classic 35 (1998 model) since 2004. Overall it is a great boat with some minor concerns over the quality of things such as cabin light switches, chintzy fairleads on the toe rail etc. Its sailing qualities are excellent. It thrives on 15 to 20 knots and I rarely put the rail under. She has never rounded up when overpowered or I am too lazy to reef. The boat simply heels to a comfortable angle and sits there.

In my mind, the two cabin layout is preferable to the three cabin for a non-charter boat. It increases the lazarette storage significantly and frankly, the claims over sleeping 8 are exaggerated anyway. Four is very comfortable with six OK in a pinch.

The boat is a little short of storage lockers in the cabin, so the extra lazarette space comes in very handy.

Volvo engine is fine. Just be aware that the diaphragm on the saildrive should be changed at ten to 12 years max, so is probably due. The raw water intake valve on the sail drive is a little weak and can easily sieze up.

Engine access is good, except for changing the oil filter, which can be messy.

We installed a KIWI prop and that greately improves the back up performance.

The one weak spot of any real concern is the rudder bearings. They are self aligning "doughnuts" one at the top of the rudder stock and one at the bottom. The plastic material (I don;t know exactly what it is) swells over time to a point where the rudder is very hard to move. Solution is to order new bearings from Dufour at about US$350 and change them at haul out. It is not a hard job but obviously needs the boat out of the water.

Once the new bearings are in, the direct Whitlock steering mechanism is a delight with fingertip lightness if the sails are well balanced.

We now have a symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnaker on our boat, and have upgraded the navigation pod to take a GPS unit. Also upgraded the autopilot so the boat is in great shape. Each time we go to the boat shows, we take a look at all the new models that have copied the Dufour layout and go away content that we will be keeping our boat for a long time!!

If you need any other info, please get in touch directly. I have a pdf of the manual, list of suppliers for spares and other stuff that might be useful
mghorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 06:02   #3

Boat: Niagara 42
I'd be interested in that list. I am close to buying a Dufour 36 cc of the same vintage. I am not able to find much information about that model, they must not have sold many of them. Have you heard anything about them?
Drobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 13:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic
Re: Dufour 35 Classic

Morning Drobert I have no such list for a 36 cc. However we did purchase the 35 classic and I have put her into commercial ops as a skippered hire on the Gold Coast Australia. I am very pleased with the build quality and her sailing ability. I have had no major issues with the vessel.
Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37 sailboat
Re: Dufour 35 Classic

Hello,
I'am a new comer in Cruisersforum.
I am looking for Owner's manual and brochures of Dufour 35 - 36 - 38 Classic.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Alain
MOHICAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dufour, morgan, paracelle