Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2009, 08:32   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Some of the best sailors I know are pilots, I think you were right on track mentioning it. You don't understand "lift" in a sailboat you go slow, don't understand "lift" in a plane - you go.. down?
The Boats you listed are all great, the Lord nelson has the highest quality, I think, Valiant comes a close next, then the T37. I've sailed a T37 and a Valiant, but not a LN, so I can't give you a true sail performance comparison. I do think the Valiant would be the more versatile and maneuverable of the bunch. My 2 cents
Welcome to the forum,
Cheers
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 09:07   #32
Eternal Member

For sailing characteristics, the Valiant 40 (any model) and Valiant 42 will sail circles around both the Lord Nelson and the Tayana 37 (also a Perry design).

That said, all three are good Water boats">blue water boats which are fully capable of taking you anywhere you wanna go.

Re: Valiants and blistering, it's correct that the early Valiants were "blister free", but when they switched to the fire-retardent resin (left over from a Navy contract) the hulls, decks, and trunk cabins later developed huge, unsightly blisters. Opinion is divided on whether: (1) these are merely cosmetic or structural; and (2) it is possible to repair them more-or-less permanently -- whatever the "treatment". Blistering seems to be worse among boats kept in tropic climates.

The last "blister boat" built in the Pac NW yard was hull #249, which used to belong to Dr. Blaine Jensen in NC (and which won lots of SORC events, including an overall first-to-finish in the Jamaica race). After that hull was built, subsequent hulls have not suffered the same huge blistering problems AFAIK, and the hulls built in Gordonville, TX appear to be very solid and without problems.

These are wonderful cruising boats...the Valiant 40 won the "Cruising Boat of the Decade" award.

I don't have one...was looking for a non-blister one, when I found another Perry design...a Golden Wave 42 built in Hong Kong...which has the Valiant 40 underbody but looks more like a Swan above the waterline. However, I followed the travails of some close friends who had a beautiful early Valiant 40 which developed blisters -- a saga that continued for many years.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 16:50   #33

Given the search for a blue water cutter in the 40 foot range...perhaps the Tayana 42 is a better boat to compare to the V-42 or LordNelson 41.
Not a Perry design like the 37 and some other Tayanas...but very comparable and a true blue water boat with a superb interior, and fine sailing performance.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:28   #34

Re: Lord Nelson 41, Valiant 40/42, tayana 37...

We bought a 40 ft. Valiant pilothouse in Ft. Lauderdale three years ago and sailed it around to the gulf side of Florida for upgrades. It was a blister boat repaired in the 90's. It's a great boat. Check the history on the dates of the blister problem, because there are many 40's around without blisters. Last time I checked, there were two pilothouses for sale, one in the Seattle area and one in Houston.
RShull
RShull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 17:14   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

The PO is probably long gone from this thread, but the message is the same (for me anyway) My V-40 does what she is designed to do: she takes me out in dangerous water and returns me back to home. She is the 19th one built btw, and has never had a blister.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37   #36

Ours is one of 12 pilothouses built in 81/82. They built 2 more in 91 or 92 after the molds were moved to Texas. Where is yours kept.?
RShull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50   #37

The blisters were a result of Valiant using Mil SPec fire retardant resin for a few years. Only those boats should be worse than any other boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:45   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

Seen a LN falling (well, not completely ;-) off a truck. She took it in her stride and got repaired all right. Then passed her on the water - our boat at least 15' shorter ... hence my guess is LN do not sail very fast in light winds. But they are pretty boats and I like pretty boats.

Tayanas seem swifter, they also offer decent protection to the rudder (compared to Valiants). I like their cockpit too. I do not like the amt of wood - OK in port but more of a challenge to control if sailing far and away. (Compared to all plastic boats).

Valiants may be the fastest of the batch. Some Valiants show pretty dramatic blister issues (apparently limited to specific series numbers / years). I like Valiants very much and think they are no-nonsense boats that deliver on their promise.

All of them are fine boats probably you have to pick up the one that your heart desites (most).

BTW There are many other boats in the same style so take it slow and have a look at the other potentials too before you jump.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:53   #39

The LN is one of the best built boats I've ever seen. Kinda like a Hans Christianson, but with the company owner very involved in how they were built. Still, pretty much a tank like the HC. But then I guess all of the ones mentioned are pretty tank-ish. Tanks are good on the right point of sail! As far as qulaity, the Tayana would def be below the other two.

Old 26-07-2014, 22:24   #40

Are you serious? The Lord Nelsons are a great pleasure to sail in the ocean, maybe not so much in the inland waterways!!!! where motorsailing passes for sailing. Lord Nelson41s plow into the sea like an ocean liner, make good speed and tack better than the modern light designs. I would rather lose 1/2 knot at sea than put up with blisters above the waterline any day.
ozeinkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 01:07   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I know this is an old thread, but the Lord Nelsons are Taiwan built, and have all of the idiosyncrasies of those boats. Just so someone puts that out for the newbies: the idiosyncrasies include flaws in layup (in unpredictable locations), two LN 36's sunk off Cape Mendocino in California.

If you go Taiwan built, you MIGHT get a boat that serves you well; then again, you might not: it's your life and your choice.

Sorry all youse guys. Those are my true thoughts. Consider the Rebel Heart, a sad sample of the Taiwan built vagaries.

Ann
Old 27-07-2014, 04:50   #42

1. Rebel Heart was a HC36, is there a LN36?
2. Rebel Heart was scuttled by the Navy after the family on board were airlifted off because their small child was ill and they all decided to be airlifted off
ozeinkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 09:28   #43

While I respect Ann's opinion on many things, I don't see the all fiberglass (no plywood decks/cabins etc.) Taiwan boats as any more problems than most USA built boats. The same things seem to happen: wet deck cores, bad seacocks (Taiwan better than many usa actually), bad keel bolts (most Taiwan don't have them), Blisters, Poor lamination techniques etc. If you spend enough money you can get a decent usa built boat; Morris, Hinkley etc. But anyone who thinks a Morgan OI 41 or a Gulfstar are better than a HC or Lord Nelson is smoking funny cigarettes!
I think the Ta Shing built boats are probably one of the best if not the best built in the world.. and evidently others do too as they quit building for the regular guy long ago and now only build for millionaires. I don't know any USA builders who build decks with each 3" square core isolated to avoid water intrusion in the deck etc..

Tags
lord nelson