Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2012, 04:17   #1

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Beaching a Searunner 37

Hello All,

My bottom needs work. What are the suggestions, pros, cons of beaching my Searunner 37?

Thanks,
John B.
Old 19-06-2012, 15:10   #2

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Beaching a Searunner 37

Pro: You'll be on the beach
Con: You'll be doing bottom work

I have a similar question about whether this is a good way to do bottom work on a Lagoon, compared to diving with a brush.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 17:48   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

What is the nature of the work to be done? Something that can happen between tide changes?

I built my Searunner 40 with the capacity to haulout on a sand beach in quiet water. I used graphite powder in the West system epoxy to give it extra abrasion resistance. It worked well, but the truth is, it served little purpose since most work requires time, power tools, and tends to pollute the immediate work area, and the places that need the most work are sitting on the sand. It's better to use a yard and have the boat hanging by the underwings exposing the entire surface area of the hulls.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 15:49   #4

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Blewett John
I also own a 37 Searunner. My antifouling has been done on a cradle completely out of the water. But if your wanting to antifoul between tides it is very possible. On a king tide rest the boat on a desired location. Work between tides tilting the tri on the desired ama. There is a cat here where i live that has never been out of the water over 15 year period and is in excellent order and done many offshore passages. Most important is to select an ideal resting place suitable with weather tides and working conditions.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 16:16   #5

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran

I used to beach my Searunner 31 for bottom cleaning and painting. We would wait for a minus tide and position the boat near where we wanted to work on it. We would put several 4x4 timbers in place under the minikeel and wait for the tide to go out. There was usually enough time to wash and scrub the bottom, clean it off with fresh water and then roll on the bottom paint. Downside was always that you had a very short time window and were limited to quick jobs.
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 08:46   #6

Thinking of buying a Searunner 37 with suishy spots in decks, tearing it down, rebuilding it and sailing it from San Francisco to the Caribean, thence up the coast past Belize and into the Mississippi river, continuing on to Chicago and then home to the East coast of Michigan. Am I nuts????
torpedo611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 10:32   #7

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran

I've never sailed that far, but my old Searunner 31 did. It was sailed down the west coast from Washington state, through the Panama Canal into the Carribbean and anchored at St. Lucia where the owner was diagnosed with terminal cancer. A friend of his flew down to pick up the boat for him, sailed it across to Florida, diassembled it and mounted it on a two axle trailer, with the floats and mast on the top and trailered it all of the way across the US back to Bellingham, Washington with a station wagon! We bought it and sailed it for many years around the San Juans.
My advice? Can it be done? Certainly it can. The 37 is a great cruising boat and is not too big to single hand and is still big enough to punch breakers and handle long ocean passages. Keep in mind, though, if there is a little dry rot, then there is a lot somewhere else. Soft decks are common, as is dry rotted stem head fittings and leaking centerboard trunks. The same goes for wet hatches, fixed port lights and seat areas in the cockpit. Gotta tell you, tearing out dry rot and trying to build back to sound plywood sucks big time. It is dirty, discouraging work and more than a few people have been sucked into getting a great deal on a well used and abused multihull only to founder and give up on the scope of the repairs necessary. That's a question only you can answer. Do you want to try and tackle tearing out all of the known problems and then be confident that your boat is in good shape for offshore work. (We were on our way to a haul out at the marina when a squall pulled out the forestay tang and just missed clobbering my wife in the face. Nearly lost the mast, but it pretty much destroyed our confidence in taking our 31 offshore and betting our lives that it would get there. We are currently finishing a new Constant Camber 44 tri for the same goal.)Hope some not too jaded advice will help. Good luck with your decision.
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 10:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBoatwork View Post
I've never sailed that far, but my old Searunner 31 did. It was sailed down the west coast from Washington state, through the Panama Canal into the Carribbean and anchored at St. Lucia where the owner was diagnosed with terminal cancer. A friend of his flew down to pick up the boat for him, sailed it across to Florida, diassembled it and mounted it on a two axle trailer, with the floats and mast on the top and trailered it all of the way across the US back to Bellingham, Washington with a station wagon! We bought it and sailed it for many years around the San Juans.
My advice? Can it be done? Certainly it can. The 37 is a great cruising boat and is not too big to single hand and is still big enough to punch breakers and handle long ocean passages. Keep in mind, though, if there is a little dry rot, then there is a lot somewhere else. Soft decks are common, as is dry rotted stem head fittings and leaking centerboard trunks. The same goes for wet hatches, fixed port lights and seat areas in the cockpit. Gotta tell you, tearing out dry rot and trying to build back to sound plywood sucks big time. It is dirty, discouraging work and more than a few people have been sucked into getting a great deal on a well used and abused multihull only to founder and give up on the scope of the repairs necessary. That's a question only you can answer. Do you want to try and tackle tearing out all of the known problems and then be confident that your boat is in good shape for offshore work. (We were on our way to a haul out at the marina when a squall pulled out the forestay tang and just missed clobbering my wife in the face. Nearly lost the mast, but it pretty much destroyed our confidence in taking our 31 offshore and betting our lives that it would get there. We are currently finishing a new Constant Camber 44 tri for the same goal.)Hope some not too jaded advice will help. Good luck with your decision.
Excellent perspective!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 11:33   #9

Thanks for that dose of reality! I'm going to go have a look see and if it seems feasible go for it. If it seems like too much I'll have to take a pass on it. Having lost rigging in a squall before and barely having lived to tell the tale, I'm not eager to relive the experience. Thanks again brother!
torpedo611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 12:47   #10

Boat: None currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedo611 View Post
Thinking of buying a Searunner 37 with suishy spots in decks, tearing it down, rebuilding it and sailing it from San Francisco to the Caribean, thence up the coast past Belize and into the Mississippi river, continuing on to Chicago and then home to the East coast of Michigan. Am I nuts????
I would have to say you're nuts.
Be patient, a similar opportunity will present itself much closer to you. There are hundreds of these boats out there, and now that summer is winding down, and the economy continues to crash, more and more people will be dumping the "toys".

That's what I keep telling myself anyway!

BTW: The radar unit on that Searunner 37' on eBay is not included. Makes you wonder what else might not be included. I suggested to Eric (the seller) that he provide a detailed inventory in his listing, but so far, he hasn't. I think he's burnt out on the whole process, and he just wants it over with. The problems are just beginning, if he doesn't represent the boat accurately and sells it through eBay. He's been warned!
CraigDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:57   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedo611 View Post
This one?
Brown Searunner Trimaran 37' 28HP Kubota Diesel Engine Runs Sailable in Sailboats | eBay Motors

Needs a hell of a lot of work.

Tags
Searunner