Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 16:48   #1

Wanted Info on Searunner 40

Hi multihull owners, this is my 1st post. I am going to San Pedro to look at a 40 Searunner,1979 vintage. Wanted to ask if anyone knows anything of this boat. Name of vessel was "Racinante' possibly owned by the Holloways. Renamed "Heidemarie" owned by a Mr. Wise located in San Pedro. Epoxy constructed ply. Hulls sanded down and glass cloth re-epoxied in the 90s. Reach back into those wind blown brain cells and let me know if you have something to pass along.
Fair Winds
Glen
San Diego
slickhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:17   #2

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Re: wanted info on Searunner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhead View Post
Hi multihull owners, this is my 1st post. I am going to San Pedro to look at a 40 Searunner,1979 vintage. Wanted to ask if anyone knows anything of this boat. Name of vessel was "Racinante' possibly owned by the Holloways. Renamed "Heidemarie" owned by a Mr. Wise located in San Pedro. Epoxy constructed ply. Hulls sanded down and glass cloth re-epoxied in the 90s. Reach back into those wind blown brain cells and let me know if you have something to pass along.
Fair Winds
Glen
San Diego
Contact Roy M on the Searunner section of this forum. He has a Searunner 40 in San Diego. He can probably help you.
Old 03-03-2016, 15:47   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Wanted Info on Searunner 40

Hi slickhead, I launched my 40 in 1978, all WEST System and good materials. Since then I've upgraded all the systems to 21st century stuff. I don't know if I've seen the boat, but if it was built in L.A., then I possibly have. Is the galley aft or in the center of the boat?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 16:27   #4

Roy, hard to tell from the pics where the galley is located inside the aft cabin. It is on craigslist so if you want, take a look. Owner lived aboard for some yrs but has not been able to do any upkeep for some time. Says it was epoxy built but with no cloth. During refit in 91 he sanded t0 wood and re-epoxied with cloth. Westerbeke hasn't started in awhile, last time it turned but no start. Lots of paint needed inside and out. Missing my old SR34 I think you saw it at CYM Chula Vista a couple yrs ago. Looking to get another SR.
Glen
Old 04-03-2016, 14:06   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

slickhead, the pictures on Craigslist show an interesting design alteration. Look at the pictures to confirm this. I am seeing that the aft mainstrength crossarm, the ones that have the "keyhole" in them, is located just aft of the aft companionway. This is just like the 37. The builder then used the next space to enlarge the galley section to two frames in length, followed by the conventional sterncastle dinette. As far as structural consequences, John Marples would be a better judge than I, but my gut says it's not as good as the design position. At any rate, it's a significant modification and could affect the value of the boat. Also, you need to check with John regarding if it is indeed a licensed boat. Does it have a sail number? Mine, for example, issued when I bought the plans was sail number 68 in 1973 or 74. I'm not sure when I actually bought them, but I began building in 1974 and launched in 1978. No license to build, coupled with significant structural modification, translates as a serious reduction in value, at least to me.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 14:13   #6

Thanks Roy, I'll add that to list of questions I have for the owner.
R/Glen

Tags
Searunner, wanted, searunner