Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 18:27   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Missing HIN on Lagoon 450

Hi,

Is anyone else having issues finding where Lagoon put the HIN on the hulls... I was told it was on the starboard transom near the top, but there is nothing there... I am also told that this is a fairly common problem with Lagoon and FP...

This is a 2016 Lagoon 450 built in February....

thanks, Rick
Rickthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 19:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Missing HIN on Lagoon 450

Have you looked closely here?

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 20:38   #3

yes... at least I am told that that was the first area they checked..
Old 24-09-2016, 20:43   #4

i thought all manufacturers were required to ensure that the HIN/CIN was on all hulls they built...

There is a hull number that is on the side of one of the hulls, but they can't find the HIN...

I'm told the solution is to engrave the HIN on a plate and mount it on the boat, but I'm not sure that is legal in all countries...
Old 24-09-2016, 21:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

What's the difference between a "hull number" and a HIN?
What is the format of the "hull number" they have found?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 23:11   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

A "hull number" is just the number hull out of the mould. A HIN contains the country of origin code, builder code, hull number and month / year of build. The HIN should normally be engraved on the starboard stern of the vessel and somewhere in another fixed, but hidden, location on the vessel. In the case of Lagoon, a simple email to them should inform you of the second location. The builders do not normally like publishing the second (hidden) location.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 05:53   #7

HI,

JohnT is correct... Our hull number is on the outside if the hull and is just a 4 digit number.. In our case 0502.... The HIN is longer, more descriptive and also has the hull number in it... The HIN is used as proof of ownership when you register the boat and is required to be visible on the outside of the hull....

I have emailed Lagoon about this and am waiting...

However I have been told that missing visible HIN is not an uncommon issue, which seems strange to me as I thought it was a standard that all manufacturers agreed to..
Old 25-09-2016, 08:20   #8

The Hull Number indicates what number hull in a series of sister ships your boat is....Hull #005
The HIN is a legal requirement and indicates: Hull Identification Number. The normally be gin with the initials from the builder such as Beneteau-BE and often add where built-US. so you have BEUS and a number which may be the HIN with a suffex.

This information MUST be shown on your documentation papers and sales contract just as a VIN is included in a car sale.

Check your documents if you can not find it on the boat. Have a metal plate stamped out with that HIN and pop rivet it somewhere easy to find on the hull.
NOW YOU"RE LEGAL....problem solved. If your paperwork doesn't include this you may have far worse issues.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 08:48   #9

Boat: 16' AMF Sunbird

You should also contact the manufacturer because according to the Coast Guard, there is a duplicate of the HIN hidden somewhere in the boat.

Jeff
jeffp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:31   #10

Boat: Chartercats SA, Jaguar 36

Any chance a repair obscured or removed it?
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:38   #11

I suspect that Lagoon can give you the complete HIN number that you can fix to your hull. I am going through this with an older Tartan that has been registered for years with only the hull number. I just insured it and the insurance company wants a proper HIN. I contacted the Coast Guard and they told me that the individual states are required to issue you an HIN number if yours is missing. The CG said that most states dont even know this, so he gave me the reg. number and said to take it to my California motor vehicle dept and insist that they issue one. I am going to try that this week. (33 CFR section 174.16, verification of HIN#). I personally would not put any kind of plate or sticker or anything that doesnt look like a molded in number. If you go foreign you will want something that looks very conventional, so as to not make officials question it. When I get this sorted out I plan to make (or buy) a stencil and sandblast the numbers into the hull and seal with epoxy. I havent read the CFR yet, but I am going to study it before I try to deal with bureaucracy. If Lagoon will let you know what the proper HIN # is, then I would just install it without getting the govt involved. If you have more problems you could call the CG Boating Safety unit in Washington DC and ask for Mike Jendrossek 202-372-1052. He was very helpful. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 11:10   #12

Boat: Lagoon 400

Do you have a document called 'Builders Certificate'?
The full HIN should be there and should conform to the hull number you have found.
Old 25-09-2016, 11:27   #13

Hi,

It is a brand new Lagoon 450, delivered in May and has been idle at the dock since then... so no damage... I have asked the selling broker to revisit the boat on Monday to re-check, and have also emailed Lagoon... I do have the HIN in the documents, and the hull number matches the documented HIN and hull number is also molded into the hull... I just don't seem to have the HIN molded into the hull that we can find... we intend to do some cruising, and I don't want to wind in a country that questions the validity of my documentation with the actual boat because it does not have an HIN on the hull.

I've been told that missing HIN's in the hull is something that happens with some regularity, so I am just trying to confirm if anyone else has come across this issue with a newer boat...

Regards...
Old 25-09-2016, 11:30   #14

The boat will be registered in Canada and Transport Canada requires a photo of the HIN molded into the boat before this can happen.... so no way to leave the govt out of it....
Old 25-09-2016, 12:22   #15

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickthesailor View Post
Hi,

Is anyone else having issues finding where Lagoon put the HIN on the hulls... I was told it was on the starboard transom near the top, but there is nothing there... I am also told that this is a fairly common problem with Lagoon and FP...

This is a 2016 Lagoon 450 built in February....

thanks, Rick
Maybe in the same place they placed the Rooster?
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon