Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2015, 02:33   #1

Lagoon 440 can stay a whole year in the water?

Hello guys,
few months ago I was watching an used Lagoon 440 for sale and the owner/charter manager told me that they take ashore the catamaran in the winter time (October till May, I'm in the med. ) because it's not like the boats were made 20 years ago, but since I'm quite novice about knowledge and constructions techniques of the hulls I didn't understand why he said that, I always thought that generally catamarans, and especially Lagoon catamarans, were constructed to stay in the water the whole year since they travel around the globe.

2) Another thing I was looking for is the construction technique scheme of the lagoon 440, that if I'm not wrong, should be sandwich fibreglass till the floating line then solid fibreglass beneath the floating line
james3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 02:41   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Re: Lagoon 440 can stay a whole year in the water?

Balsa cored above waterline
Solid glass below the water, very thick too.
Mine been in water for 10 years.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 03:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Balsa cored above waterline
Solid glass below the water, very thick too.
Mine been in water for 10 years.

Your lagoon 440 has been into the water for ten year and you never took ashore for a period (months for example ) ?
Old 14-06-2015, 03:29   #4

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3 View Post
Your lagoon 440 has been into the water for ten year and you never took ashore for a period (months for example ) ?
Sailing season in Australia is 12 mths/year so why would anyone take boat out!?

In med, winter months are not pleasant and no sailing for most except for hardcore racers in sub 5kn winds. As boat needs to be used if in water else degrading fast,, some decide to take it out. Preparations looks pretty involved though.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 05:55   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

Sailed in 4 degrees last week, would not call that too warm

dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 06:33   #6

Quote:
The boat only needs to come out to clean the hull and apply antifoul coatings. This might be needed anywhere from once a year to once every three years depending on use, and the local environmental factors that promote growth on the hull. Generally, this would take 3-7 days depending on what else might need to be done such as changing anodes on sail drive and hull, drain and replace sail drive oil (both of which can take place in the water, but easier on the hard stand), as well as service to through hull fittings and other below waterline repairs. Mine was last out of the water 22 months ago and is still remarkably clean, but will come out in November. Those who take the boat out for prolonged periods do this for winter storage and cost considerations (cheaper sitting on the hard compared to sitting on a marina for 6 months unused).

In my experience, boats just love to float!
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 06:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
The boat only needs to come out to clean the hull and apply antifoul coatings. This might be needed anywhere from once a year to once every three years depending on use, and the local environmental factors that promote growth on the hull. Generally, this would take 3-7 days depending on what else might need to be done such as changing anodes on sail drive and hull, drain and replace sail drive oil (both of which can take place in the water, but easier on the hard stand), as well as service to through hull fittings and other below waterline repairs. Mine was last out of the water 22 months ago and is still remarkably clean, but will come out in November. Those who take the boat out for prolonged periods do this for winter storage and cost considerations (cheaper sitting on the hard compared to sitting on a marina for 6 months unused).

In my experience, boats just love to float!
Yes sure, storing it ashore cost definitely less especially if you are not planning to sail since in the Mediterranean sea in the winter period quite nobody sails.
About antifouling I heard that the "coppercoat" can last even till to 10 years, anyway much more that any normal antfoul!
I see that there in Australia Lagoon 440 seems a quite popular catamaran!!
Old 14-06-2015, 07:00   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Storing ashore is usually a bit more expensive in the med. As a rough guide, in the water around €20/day off season, out of the water around €30/day, plus around €500 hauling cost
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 07:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Yes sure, storing it ashore cost definitely less especially if you are not planning to sail since in the Mediterranean sea in the winter period quite nobody sails.
About antifouling I heard that the "coppercoat" can last even till to 10 years, anyway much more that any normal antfoul!
I see that there in Australia Lagoon 440 seems a quite popular catamaran!!
Nothing can last 10 years. If it did we would all be using it. Realistically you need a bottom job every 2-3 years depending on location an paint type.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 07:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Nothing can last 10 years. If it did we would all be using it. Realistically you need a bottom job every 2-3 years depending on location an paint type.
they say so, but I don't know if it's just commercial, anyway seems that in this and other forums there are several happy customers

multiseason antifouling 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul
Old 14-06-2015, 07:34   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400

Our boat is little more than 4 years old. We sail it all year round. Has been out once, two years ago for 5 days for antifouling and seadrives oil replacement. Will have similar out of the water period later this year. Bottom looks fine. I will check GRP humidity while it will be out. If it is wet I shall report here.
Old 14-06-2015, 08:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi Greg,
Copper bottom can indeed last ten years and there are several postings in the forums of people that have done this.
The big 'however' is that in recent years many people are now reporting that copperbot is not effective any more as the recipe changed a few years ago.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 08:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi Greg,
Copper bottom can indeed last ten years and there are several postings in the forums of people that have done this.
The big 'however' is that in recent years many people are now reporting that copperbot is not effective any more as the recipe changed a few years ago.
You mean the older Coppercoat recipe was better and they changed it because was inconvenient for the seller maybe?
Old 14-06-2015, 10:33   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I dont recall the exact details - I think I read about it in Practical Sailor. I seem to recollect that either the company changed hands or that it was reformulated for environmental reasons. I looked afresh at this subject a few years ago and found numerous reports of dissatisfaction. Considering the price of the stuff that is unacceptable. Perhaps someone with better internet access can provide an update?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 12:24   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Hi James

It is very common to lift boats out and store them ashore during the winter months in the Med.

It is possible to leave the boat at a marina in the water, but the winter storms mean there is a greater chance of damage, so storage ashore "on the hard" is the preferred option for most.

In some countries the weather is suitable for sailing all year around and boats are normally left in the water full time with a periodic haul out for fresh antifouling and underwater maintenance. Say every two years, but there are some products like copper coat that can last significantly longer.

The winter lift out and storage ashore is done because of the tough winter conditions, but it is good for fibreglass boats. It allows the laminate to dry out and the incidence of osmosis seems to be significantly less on boats used in this manner.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440, water