Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 13:11   #76
Registered User
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 10,453
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

I burned 100 gallons of diesel last week, and will probably burn another 100 gallons during the next month. The powerboat anchored next to us probably burned 100 gallons of diesel during it’s first hour out today... and I’m not bothered one bit.

The cruise ship docked at the wharf.....
__________________

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 13:47   #77
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: Bristol 27
Posts: 5,103
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I burned 100 gallons of diesel last week, and will probably burn another 100 gallons during the next month. The powerboat anchored next to us probably burned 100 gallons of diesel during itís first hour out today... and Iím not bothered one bit.

The cruise ship docked at the wharf.....
The oil companies love you guys. More money for them

But it's pretty sad we have become so dependent on fossil fuels that smell the place up and create more global warming when there are alternatives
__________________

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 14:04   #78
Registered User
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 10,453
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The oil companies love you guys. More money for them

But it's pretty sad we have become so dependent on fossil fuels that smell the place up and create more global warming when there are alternatives
Whether you choose to believe it or not doesn’t matter one bit to me, but sitting there in your house you’re responsible for the burning of probably five times as much fossil fuels as I am.... and probably more than that. You’d be shocked by how much fuel goes into the production of electricity for your home and gasoline for your car.

So please come down off your high horsey before you fall and hurt yourself.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 14:50   #79
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: Bristol 27
Posts: 5,103
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Whether you choose to believe it or not doesn’t matter one bit to me, but sitting there in your house you’re responsible for the burning of probably five times as much fossil fuels as I am.... and probably more than that. You’d be shocked by how much fuel goes into the production of electricity for your home and gasoline for your car.

So please come down off your high horsey before you fall and hurt yourself.
I'm simply saying we can do better.

Its like the overweight deer hunters of today with their 4 X 4 trucks and a 4 wheeler in the back. Then heated socks and donuts while they wait for a deer to shoot with a high powered rifle and a scope.

The movie Last of the Mohicans actually shows men physically involved in the hunt (for an elk) and using their own bodies to get in position for the shot.

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 15:41   #80
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 15,805
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

There might actually be a place for using a trimaran such as Sean proposes, for some classes in some areas.

However, the need for reaching children beginners quickly means you have to be two places at once, sometimes. (A puff can capsize many.) You want the kids to have fun, and gain confidence, they're not doing that when chilled and tired, which is what they get when capsized.

Litigious society being what it is, I doubt parents or clubs would be satisfied with the trimaran approach, they want their kids helped NOW, and the RIBs provide the closest thing to NOW that we have.

Furthermore, there's the attention issue. The instructor who is sailing his fast tri to kid #1, has to be paying attention to to his boat, and the kid. Usually, there are two people to a RIB, driver and spotter, rescuer for the smaller kids. As the kids grow in experience and skill, i've seen them out with one.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:28   #81
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 10
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

At our club, the instructors use Boston Whalers to move around and coach a fleet of students in Optis (which don't have room for an adult) or Club 420s (which have room for two people, but almost always have two students in them). The students learn by hands-on sailing. They end up widely dispersed, so the instructors move around between the sailboats. Also, the instructors set and move marks and start practice races. When a student needs a break, they can ride in the whaler for a while. Occasionally, the whalers help rescue capsized boats or tow them in. Finally, I see the instructors out in the evening club races and regattas kicking our asses on the race course. None of that can't do ... teach thing going on here.

Mike.
Portland, Oregon.
MRees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:29   #82
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Somewhere in the SE Asia
Boat: Cooper 416
Posts: 52
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Thanks for all the replies. My question has been answered.
Was it a serious question, or just a senseless rant?

The 'tools' used to train younger students are often mandated by the national/international training organization based on experience to enhance comfort and increase safety of the young students.

There are mediocre 'trainers', just as their are people who buy a boat, figure out how to raise the sails and fill them with wind to make the boat go in a general direction and call themselves sailors.

Ignorance is a lack of understanding; stupidity is refusal to understand.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
S/V Discovery 15797 (https://www.QuestsOfDiscovery.com)
WA7WJR & XV9WJR
Discovery 15797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:59   #83
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: Bristol 27
Posts: 5,103
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Was it a serious question, or just a senseless rant?

The 'tools' used to train younger students are often mandated by the national/international training organization based on experience to enhance comfort and increase safety of the young students.

There are mediocre 'trainers', just as their are people who buy a boat, figure out how to raise the sails and fill them with wind to make the boat go in a general direction and call themselves sailors.

Ignorance is a lack of understanding; stupidity is refusal to understand.
There are also people that buy a boat, raise the sails and fill them with wind then go racing (for years and years) to learn the rest.

Then there are sailors that buy a boat, raise the sails and fill them with wind then go on a cruise to learn the rest (after having repaired/refit their boat themselves)

That's what these kids did and possibly the OP also

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 14:52   #84
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 8,418
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There are also people that buy a boat, raise the sails and fill them with wind then go racing (for years and years) to learn the rest.

Then there are sailors that buy a boat, raise the sails and fill them with wind then go on a cruise to learn the rest (after having repaired/refit their boat themselves)

That's what these kids did and possibly the OP also

All of which has absolutely zero relevance to the topic of what sort of support boat should be used with a fleet of learners undergoing practice/instruction on the water.
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 15:58   #85
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: Bristol 27
Posts: 5,103
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
All of which, like your other self promoting posts in this thread, has absolutely zero relevance to the topic of what sort of support boat should be used with a fleet of learners undergoing practice/instruction on the water.
Well, I'm sorry that my post upset you so much that you thought you needed to respond, but after 84 posts, I think we have figured all that support boat stuff out.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:16   #86
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Texas
Boat: Varianta 44
Posts: 1
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

Like the other USSailing Instructors, when you have kids in dingy's where a single instructor is working with 6-8 boats, it is about what makes sense to be able to safely rescue boats as well as being able to work with multiple sailors. If you are sailing, it is hard to get to the all of the kids that need instruction, support or advice.

With that said, when I work with the older kids (kids that have power boat licenses) there are many times that I'll get on one of their lasers or 420s and let them take the power boat in order to show them a technique such as roll tacks and jibes, proper sail shape for the wind conditions etc. I only do this when I have a competent power boat driver and in many cases the kids I put on the power boat are 16 and have also taken the USSailing Instructor training.
mwlipari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 17:25   #87
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Nashville TN
Boat: Cal 39
Posts: 248
Re: Why aren't sailing instructors sailing?

fter learning the basics on a one person boat you can then learn small two-person dinghy's. Starting learning, by in a class or not, in a bigger keelboat usually means that it'll be longer before you become proficient.
__________________

secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail, sailing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wondering why more power boats aren't using solar power to recharge house batteries? CaptJohnEasley Powered Boats 36 05-07-2016 20:20
Why aren't there cruising report threads? Jim Krause Our Community 64 03-12-2015 05:31
Want To Buy: Hiring Summer Skippers and Sailing Instructors! broadreach06 Classifieds Archive 0 07-04-2014 05:38
So Why Aren't there More Interior Helms ? Sand crab Multihull Sailboats 31 24-07-2011 19:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.