Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 19:37   #1

Boat: Slocum 43
Cleaning Raw Water Strainer

Greetings,
I have this raw water strainer for a Perkins 4-108 diesel. I managed to get the brass cap off, however I have no idea how to clean the strainer. There seems to be no way to remove the strainer from the cylinder. I'd appreciate any advice!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_075317.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	147583Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_075348.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	147584
shanegeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 20:03   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Cleaning Raw Water Strainer

Hmm... looks like others have had the same issue given the two small holes in the top (second picture).

The strainer insert should just pull out but clearly it has corroded in place. I would first try removing the entire strainer from the sea cock and soak it in vinegar for 24+ hours.

This should loosen the salt / corrosion but I think it will still take some effort.

After soaking in vinegar, try all the usual penetrating agents and then some gentle heat on the outside housing while cooling the inside strainer with freeze spray.

It might be able to tap it out from the bottom???
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 20:11   #3

Thank you, great ideas.
I'm reluctant to try removing the assembly from the seacock as it might break (boat is in the water) however I'll try removing the water and replacing it with vinegar.
Heating outside / cooling inside sounds good.
Old 12-05-2017, 00:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There's a product called Stay Afloat. It can stop leaks even an open or broken thru hull. It's worth keeping aboard. Home There's a video on their site.
There are companies that make new strainer inserts, but probably be more expensive than a complete new strainer.
You might try closing the valve, remove the hose and fill the strainer with some type of cleaner. I use Rydlyme on my heat exchangers. Found in better marine stores and much cheaper online. Ebay or Amazon.
Attached Images

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 00:38   #5

Great, thank you!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:58   #6

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

re: stay afloat...
or you can just go to your local hardware store and buy a whole bunch of wax seals for a toilet for the same price you can get about 3 times as much of the same stuff.
Just take an old peanut butter jar, clean it out and scrape the wax seals into it.
It is really sticky and water proof. It will plug most any hole up to a couple of inches. It will hold long enough for you to get to shore and get a more permanent solution in place.

Another good solution someone told me about, nerf footballs are great for plugging holes and unlike a wooden bung the hole does not have to be round for the nerf football to work.

I'm cheap and lazy, that is why I like to do things right the first time.
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 23:37   #7

For those who are interested to see what this kind of strainer looks like on the inside... I had to unscrew the whole affair and tap the strainer out from the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170521_163320.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	148119  
Old 21-05-2017, 01:49   #8

^^

Thanks for the update and for showing us what was inside. Well done for getting it sorted
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 21-05-2017, 01:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
^^

Thanks for the update and for showing us what was inside. Well done for getting it sorted
Thank you.. . I used your overnight vinegar trick and a dose of WD40 got the strainer undone.
Old 21-05-2017, 02:20   #10

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Geez, something that chronologically gifted critical to the boat staying afloat. I would replace it myself.
Old 21-05-2017, 02:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Geez, something that chronologically gifted critical to the boat staying afloat. I would replace it myself.
Yes good point. I'll add it to the list!
Old 21-05-2017, 02:43   #12

Quote:
Steady on old chap...

This baby has stood the test of time and will outlast those fancy nancy plackie toys they call strainers these days.
Besides, most skippers of CF are way more chronologically gifted - excepting your good self of course!
Old 21-05-2017, 02:50   #13

Boat: Beneteau 323

Looks like a pretty good piece of gear. Will cost a lot to get a replacement bronze strainer.

Why not clean it up and keep it? You should be checking your strainer regularly so the same problem should not reoccur.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 02:57   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Steady on old chap...

This baby has stood the test of time and will outlast those fancy nancy plackie toys they call strainers these days.

Besides, most skippers of CF are way more chronologically gifted - excepting your good self of course!

Fair point, I'm just a bit neurotic about below waterline stuff because I only have third party insurance.

I guess my logic is that if it has corroded that much it is at least a bit suspect now. I don't deny that when new it would outlast most of the new crap on the market today, but then it is not new now is it? How old is it? Do we know?

I logged my new strainer in the maintenance book with a five year replacement intent. I'll do it at the same time I replace the raw water hoses. A little excessive you could say, but the whole lot will cost me AU$200 to replace which is about one tenth of what comprehensive insurance would cost if I could get it.
Old 21-05-2017, 03:21   #15

Quote:
Fair point, I'm just a bit neurotic about below waterline stuff because I only have third party insurance.

I guess my logic is that if it has corroded that much it is at least a bit suspect now. I don't deny that when new it would outlast most of the new crap on the market today, but then it is not new now is it? How old is it? Do we know?

I logged my new strainer in the maintenance book with a five year replacement intent. I'll do it at the same time I replace the raw water hoses. A little excessive you could say, but the whole lot will cost me AU$200 to replace which is about one tenth of what comprehensive insurance would cost if I could get it.
Almost certain the same strainer that was sold with the boat in 1984. The bronze looks fine though.

Tags
cleaning, raw water, water