Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 14:02   #1

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII
Experience w Transom Mounted Dinghy?

We have finally taken delivery of our '99 Catalina 42 and the fun has definitely begun!

We are planning on transom mounting a smaller rigid bottom inflatable dinghy 2.8-3.5 meters with a 5hp propane outboard. There are two approaches we are considering:
a pivoting davit system like this:
Transom Mount Davits for Inflatable Dinghy Boat Tender
or these unique Dinghy Rings:

One overriding concern is that the pivot system requires gluing pads to the inflatable chamber. Given the weight when stowed rides totally on these two patches, I have concerns about durability and wear and tear.

Dinghy rings are about twice the price of the pivoting davits. FYI although not completely off the table, we see no need or want for an arch as solar and gimbaled radar are already installed.

I would appreciate comments and feedback from all with experience with transom mount systems.

Thanks in advance!
Dave & Dawn Elise
Lake Ontario
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 14:43   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Experience w Transom Mounted Dinghy?

No and no , this is just asking for trouble , I would.make a proper storage space.on deck for the dinghy .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 14:54   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The minute the yacht heels over those tube cones are going to catch an awful lot of water. Why not mount it sideways higher up and secure the engine firmly to the pushpit.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy1.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	171507  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 19:10   #4

While I appreciate your perspective GMAHKS, I would truly appreciate some supporting rationale for your strong view.
What negative experiences have you had with transom mounting? Why do you prefer a deck location?
Any personal experience you can relate would be incredibly helpful and most welcome.
tks
Dave
Old 11-06-2018, 19:23   #5

Good point about healing Pete7. Any thoughts about the durability of patches glued to the inflatable's tube-especially given these two points will be load bearing anytime to the dinghy is vertical?
Old 11-06-2018, 19:36   #6

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Either put it forward upside down on the deck and use a halyard to put it in the water with a sling or just hook to the front towing handle on the deck with the halyard and lower it stern first into the water. You can tow it without the motor. Deal with the motor with a stern mounted motor mount and hoist pole. That’s what we do and it works out fine. I tried the sideways mount on the stern for several days and it was not very desirable. Also, when cruising, if you have much exhaust, your dinghy gets coated with soot. Most either have davits or store on deck in front of the mast.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 21:20   #7

I have a transom mounted tender and it works great. It is basically 2x 4' stainless tubes with some cross bracing that is affixed to the transom of the boat with dodger hardware and to the tender with a carabiner that hooks into rings bolted to the transom of the tender. The stainless tubes have a purchase that allows me to raise or lower the tenders height above the water depending on conditions. My previous boat had a commercially made one (I think it was called "dinghy tender" or similar?) but the one I made works just as well. The engine is stored on the the aft pulpit and raised and lowered to the tender via block and tackle as needed. It is much better than towing and/or lifting the tender onto the deck where it would obscure visibility etc. It sits low enough on the transom that you forget its there. It is fine in most inshore conditions and if it is rough I can raise the tender well above the water level. It has been to Alaska and back and around Vancouver Island without a problem. However, I wouldn't go offshore or out in heavy seas with my homemade lightweight version, although it is probably possible to build one that is as strong as any transom davit system. It does add 5 feet or so to your LOA, but I have never had to pay for the extra length at a marina. If it became an issue, it only takes a minute to unhook the tender and fold the support poles up against the transom. Here's a photo of it in use on my boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2434 (2).JPG
Views:	881
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	171530  
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:12   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divevac View Post
Good point about healing Pete7. Any thoughts about the durability of patches glued to the inflatable's tube-especially given these two points will be load bearing anytime to the dinghy is vertical?
The dinghy in my photo and its subsequent replacement are held as follows: two 5" round D ring patches are glued to the inside of the upper tube and clipped to the pushpit with carabiners with short ropes. Two more 5" d ring patches attach to the lower inside tube. These two lower ones are used to tie up the boat alongside the stern whilst we disembark. Then just pull up the dinghy, lift it a bit and clip it on. The patches are just glued on with 2 pack glue and have been there for about 20 years on the first dinghy and 5 years on its replacement. Note the engine is stored separately to reduce the weight whilst at sea. In an emergency undoing the top two carabiners and letting go results in the dinghy going splash and then being held sideways on to the stern in the water by the two lower ropes, rescue option for man overboard?

We have crossed the English Channel over a dozen times with winds up to F8 without a problem with this set up. My wife commented that when underway the dinghy across the stern combined with the side dodgers helps provide excellent protection from cold winds and spray. I see you are on the Great Lakes, so worth thinking about.

We have only recently moved to storing the dinghy folded in front of the mast, but that is because we now have a solar arch on the stern. The next dinghy may well go back to sideways on the stern.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:39   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I use both methods - transom mounted with Snap Davits arrangement with pads glued to the sides of the inflatable. With a good glue job I would not worry about its strength. But I only use this for my short distance or calm weather mounting.
On open ocean crossings I mount it up on deck upside down and tied.
Engine is off the inflatable in either case.

The transom mounting brings the inflatable up flush with the stern and tight - not sticking out like your picture.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:13   #10

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

The weaver snap davits are pretty good. I think they are problematic if your dinghy is much wider then your transom thou. Had one customer with a large inflatable an a smaller power boat. The spray from the boat actually kept catching the dinghy and partially filling causing damage. Used to sell them and install the pads. Did not see too many issues with them honestly. As long as the boat isn't to heavy should be fine. I have seen them on very few sailboats and the ones I have seen have been modern boats with wide transoms.

My biggest issue with them is actually aesthetic. I really don't like the look of a inflatable folded against a transom. I really prefer conventional davits for looks. Or of course storing on deck.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:20   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Is this going to be for security at a calm anchorage, or for passage making?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:34   #12

Boat: Catalina 320

Another alternative is the Dinghy Sling from Harbormen, Home of the Dinghy Sling Davit System.

It's basically a floating cargo net you hang from the mother ship's transom. Row the dinghy into the sling athwartships, then hoist it up on its side. Sans outboard, of course.
Sailnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40   #13

Boat: Hunter 30

I have Weaver davit system and have stopped using it. I could not get the pads you glue on my Hyperlon RIB to stick. I had them professionally glued and have done them myself and they always came loose. My dink is a 110 lb Rib shipped without the motor. If the boat heeled much over 10 degrees it would drag in the water which put too much strain on the glue bond. I now just tow it. I have a 30-foot boat and think davits look stupid on a small boat IMHO.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Is this going to be for security at a calm anchorage, or for passage making?
We are most likely headed from L Ontario to Grenada via Nfld in 2019 and perhaps a Transat a couple of years later. Any open water or serious weather and the dink will be on the deck.

I am asking about transom mounting for fair weather conditions and am specifically concerned about gluing a patch to a tube...that issue seems to be addressed by Pete 7 (thanks!).
Old 12-06-2018, 13:46   #15

Check out the commercially made Dinghy Tow, worked great for me on ocean passages . Not sure if they are still in business but you can get an idea from the web. Very easy to deploy the dinghy and the motor does not have to be removed
normanm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, enc